Drug price drop delayed by court, pg 12

MJSfoto1956 said:
Black Swan summary by Mini-me: "The title refers to centuries ago when people would return to western Europe talking about the black swans they had seen, with the bird experts saying "Impossible,' laughing these people off..."

Black Swan summary by me: "The book details Taleb's proof that identified the flawed gaussian mathematical models that economists and Wall Street cheerleaders (a.k.a IYI's) had been basing their investments on, the result of which long-tail risk was hidden to their customers."

Meanwhile, what I said:

Dauntless said:
Prior to the 2007-08 financial meltdown, the 'Black Swan' came out, essentially predicting that the financial crisis of 1997-98, with it's biggest symptoms being the collapse of the giant Long Term Financial Management and the ongoing Korean restructuring, was in fact continuing all around. And since nobody believed that the original problem could happen that way, they were not prepared to deal with the ultimate consequences of it. The socalled experts were still laughing at him as. . . .

The title refers to . . . . When such a basic belief is shattered, what else do you question? In fact, how do you begin to prepare yourself for disasters you have no reason to expect to happen?

It's not just about that, it goes on about Mandelbrot developing fractals from the work of people such as Maria Agnesi, etc.

In my own words. Meanwhile, you cut and paste someone else's comment, lied to us about it as always, oh, busted once again. Doesn't it bother you that we can see you never get anything right? And Trollobie loves that.

MJSfoto1956 said:
Dauntless said:
Meanwhile, what I said:

Fluffy drivel is what you said in your original post.
More to the point, you fit Taleb's definition of IYI to a tee. :mrgreen:

M

YOU fit Taleb's definition of a liar. And everyone else's, too. I on the other hand fit Taleb's own thinking. That last foot tasted so good you couldn't wait to get this other one in there. You even call me the short form of iyioluwa.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/iyinoluwa-aboyeji/#63bb337b478a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhNbpKLn1FA&ab_channel=AynRandInstitute

this is good too, Rand on Education
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PKAATQmW1Y&ab_channel=AynRandInstitute
There is some useful info. Usually Rand just gives "pie in the sky" mumbo jumbo.
Corey Wayne takes objectivism to the next level. He gives specific day to day solutions to common problem, like how to make a woman desire you by being a man. This is very powerful, life changing stuff. :bigthumb:
I had a blonde follow me home after mastering his advice. :shock:
Rand built a rock solid foundation, that a skyscraper could be built, BUT, she never built anything. Imagine her book on "Solving problems with my 1st 1000 employees", and "How i woke up one day worth a billion while doing what i love". But no, she wrote pie in the sky books. Good for inspiration, but no practical day to day problem solving. I don't think she had any kids either, so not even a family success story.

She never managed groups of people, she had no way to offer such advice. She worked in the Soviet film program as a writer and an actress in her early 20's. They didn't make many films in that poor country, but they did take American films, some with sound, and put Russian silent movie title cards in, generally pushing communist themes. When she got the opportunity to go to some conference in the U.S., she never went home. She worked in Hollywood as a staff writer (An executive would get credit without writing) and some bit part acting, which would usually go uncredited in those days and not all of her appearances have been identified. She also worked in costuming. Once her novels were coming out she was credited with writing several screenplays. But I don't think she ever woke up a billionaire.

What I think might have been interesting would be if she wrote about historical issues that inspired moments in her books. A great one would have been the Rock Island Bridge case, which made Abraham Lincoln a name just before the 1860 election. Lincoln was an expert on bridges over rivers. If you read some of her essays you see the potential of her ability to analyze historical events.

So Ayn Rand claims in the interview that market forces prevent someone from collecting a true monopoly and says she can cite cases, but doesn't. https://youtu.be/lHl2PqwRcY0?t=1225 I can point out that the man who became Emperor Norton was trying to corner the market on rice in California and perhaps prevent RiceaRoni from becoming the San Francisco treat. Then an unexpected shipment of rice was diverted to San Francisco and Norton was foiled, driven insane, then declared himself Emperor and met with far more success that way than rice could ever bring him.

Then there is Bunker Hunt. Brother of Lamar Hunt, for you Kansas City Chiefs fans. In the late 1970's Bunker set out to drive the price of silver from $11 to $50 an ounce. And succeeded. Yet for $4 billion Bunker had options and buys on margin, not much silver owned outright. So when the time came to pay off his option, he's broke, the silver gets sold for what they can get. As the price falls, they call the margin on his other silver. Bunker has only paid for part of his silver but takes the full loss. Kodak, the biggest customer for silver at the time, had not nearly enough silver supply on their own but developed ways of collecting recyclable silver, such as buying old no longer lusterous silverware and using it to produce film. And Bunker ceased to be a billionaire. Selling his 580 racehorses brought only $46 million. But he was still able to donate a half million dollars to help Oliver North cause Iran Contra and to sell missiles to "Moderates" in Iran.

I only went to church once in my life. friends that knew i am an atheist talked me into coming along :shock:
from that 1 visit i learned the appeal of religion, and it is not God. I call it the 1st franchise. It is a community event, an excuse to meet the neighbors. People are looking for leadership, and a good sermon, like i heard that day is inspiring. 8) While some of the teaching of the church may be deplorable, many people just nod and smile and put themselves ahead of any sales pitch.
So, i think Rand never went, and had no clue as to why people go. It is to see leadership, the pastor. Leadership is rare and valuable (just keep in mind it is a franchise, and wants your money).
I don't ask people if they believe in God, i judge them on their actions.

Matt Gruber said:

Crazy! I bet he will deny the health professionals opinion that is covid, and go on a wild tangent along some religous line.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/17/us/idaho-pastor-covid-masks-trnd/index.html

I feel sorry for them
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/a-100-person-choir-performed-without-masks-in-front-of-mike-pence-at-a-dallas-megachurch-as-covid-19-cases-surge-through-texas/ar-BB166gtK
"The CDC removed its guidance against singing in church choirs on May 22 despite the health warnings."

Lemmings
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-spread-in-tennessee-church-lack-of-masks-2020-7?op=1

markz said:
Matt Gruber said:
Crazy!

They won't let people go to church but they get to protest. That means the protestant churches should all have their large gatherings.

So on Friday I got some scratchers tickets that get saved for me at a few little stores. There's a box right at the scanner. The second ticket to prove a winner was quite a disappointment, $5. You wonder if they really just didn't think it was worth the bother. But the first, my biggest yet: $100. Not worth cashing? Dang, if I could do this every day I'd quit worrying about a steady job. So winning the draw has only got me $1,000. The cast off tickets of other people? $1,043. If you're into numerology, that's actually a significant number for me.

image.png

he got the cause at the end.
they teach cops to lie to trick criminals, so, what do you expect?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtcdy3kkHCo&ab_channel=SteveLehto

This day and age, everything should be video from body camera's to a camera man on the scecne, to every interaction should be video taped, but jurisdictions dont want to do it because they'd be sued when they see how much they lie.

He's telling the Australians, but Americans needs to hear this. Dan Crenshaw is the Congressman with the eye patch, wounded veteran.

[youtube]Yzn3WVAkOu0[/youtube]

Listened to the whole video. at the end he says:
" A moral compass that is derived from something that is higher than oneself- God"
:roll: :lol:
How about "A moral compass that protects, long term, yourself, your family, and thereby protects society"
:bigthumb:
But, he did get elected, and with 90% of voters saying they believe in god, good for him being able to say that with a straight face :thumb:
Back on topic
cops being taught to lie destroys them over the long term. eventually, nobody will trust them.

Matt Gruber said:
" A moral compass that is derived from something that is higher than oneself- God"
How about "A moral compass that protects, long term, yourself, your family, and thereby protects society"

Well, hold on, you know that's exactly what the churchies mean, they sum it up as coming from God. That is how you want those cops to feel. It's when they DON'T you won't like them, right?

That is why they try to hide the fact they lie as much as possible.
Not only the cops, even prosecutors lie and hide evidence all for the mighty conviction rate to make them look good.

Dauntless said:
Matt Gruber said:

Well, hold on, you know that's exactly what the churchies mean, they sum it up as coming from God. That is how you want those cops to feel. It's when they DON'T you won't like them, right?
God is just missing 1 letter. not God, but Good - as in good vs. evil. but there is no franchise with good; with God you have a worldwide business :thumb: It is obvious, from their actions that cops know there is no god watching them. BUT if you teach the principles of GOOD vs EVIL - this they could understand that they could be PROUD every day they work :bigthumb: and HAPPY too.

in less than 10 minutes Yaron Brook explains where Buckley went off track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7U2YS_joLk&ab_channel=YaronBrook

no, i don't have the test all worked out yet :mrgreen:
But here are my 1st Q's
1. in the last 10 years, how many times have you lent your car, scooter, or bike? lawn mower? pc? cell? tools? anything?
2. how many of those were to complete strangers?
3. would you do it again?
If you are happy to lend your stuff you are a collectivist, it is easy! :bigthumb:

Matt Gruber said:
no, i don't have the test all worked out yet :mrgreen:
But here are my 1st Q's
1. in the last 10 years, how many times have you lent your car, scooter, or bike? lawn mower? pc? cell? tools? anything?
2. how many of those were to complete strangers?
3. would you do it again?
If you are happy to lend your stuff you are a collectivist, it is easy! :bigthumb:

At first I thought no way I'm a collectivist, because the word itself sounded Marxist to me. Then I looked up a definition and said yeah I guess Matt's test is ok. The only problem is that my wife is from Belarus, so we have plenty of Russian friends, and every single time I've lent one something it never comes back. Maybe I was just unlucky, but I'm not taking the chance anymore.

Back