Duct Tape E-Bay Lifepo4s???

Update..I spent the 3 day weekend redoin my battery. I need to charge my cells to at least 4v. My cells will hold a high voltage for 2-3 miles.
So My new battery is one 11cell 44v, one 7cell, 28v, 10ah lifepo4s, one 9ah 12v. sla. I put a bypass/include switch so I can take the 12v sla out of the series. Now my bike is faster than ever. It should hit 35mph in the first couple miles. Has there been any tests done on how overcharge affects the performance and life of these batteries? My bike is running great now...Thank God for duct tape!

I'm still riding my ebike everyday. Its my only transportation. I love my shwalbe xr ceramic guard tire!. No flats and no wear! I'm running on 15 lifepo4 cells working (out of 24), plus a 12v sla in series. My bike still going 20-25mph, but low on power. Now I have made a purchase for new battery. I'm gonna change chemistries here. This one will be lighter are more compact with more energy density than any lifepo4 I've seen. I only need 20amps.

So here it is: 6.8ah, 72v...cost = $200.
http://tinyurl.com/4pquyjn

and for the charger(s): $100.
http://tinyurl.com/4cy75nc

How's that for $300?
I'm actually buying 12 7.2v packs and 6 chargers (14.4v ea)

I think it will work pretty good. I'll let you all know...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you crack my up man. thats one fo the funniest battery stories ever!!!! mabye you will discover a new "mode" of lifepo, where it changes the chemistry somehow to last longer or more capacity or higher charge voltage!!

I do not suggest switching to lipo

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):)

Cheers from CAnada
mike

keep the updates coming!!

Those batteries you are looking into will probably give you 4 AH at most before diving off the cliff on voltage. I would suggest lipo but you dont seem to care about batteries to much. I would suggest nicad cause they could take the abuse you give them even if you run it down to 0V. 300$ would make you a nice 72v 10ah lipo pack. 400 would get you some mediocre protection with alarms/ buzzers.

Ok, I got my batteries...well most of them. The other 5 were wrong ah. So anyway, I made a neat 6 x 7.2v battery for 48.6v off the charger(s). I brought my battery with me to work, but didn't hook it up. I had to go with the tried and true pings. Yes, they are working just fine...the ones that are left, but my speed is only 25mph. I don't even charge them at work. I did for a little bit, but didn't seem to matter. These fricken nimh are crap...I'm telling you. I connected my 48v nimh to my 33v ping in series. The friggen bike ran great! Over 30mph! for a little bit. I was shy of 2 miles when power dropped off...to the speed of my other 26v battery. But I kept driving to home...another mile. I check batteries at home...the 2 halves (3 sticks ) have equal voltage, which tells me these cells exhausted after a little use. I'd ive them a 1 on ah capacity. Somthins not right here. But I still want to try buying the hi c 4500mah sticks. Maybe they would do better. I'm just wondering how they figure out this ah capacity they claim. This is ludricus. I will charge the battery to see the ah to charge. Perhaps another cycle will improve the capacity by 100%.
The nimh did get a little warm. But not as hot as some of my ping cells. But dang, it was nice for about 5 minutes....I paid up to see the result. I would not recommend at present time. Come on...what a piece of crap....

It's kind of ironic to hear you say I don't care about batteries. That's all I do everyday. I am a professional battery checker and diagnosis. I am still using one of my original sla 9ah battery in series with my ping. That battery has no problem for 6 miles or 10 miles. But my amps are down it feels like with the ping, but when have tailwind pick up speed.

But this nimh is terribly small and compact. Perhaps I should get a123s for 4 or 6 ah pack....

Attachments

• VESC ANDROID icones resized.png
    VESC ANDROID icones resized.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 3
electricridefl said:
These fricken nimh are crap...I'm telling you. I connected my 48v nimh to my 33v ping in series. The friggen bike ran great! Over 30mph! for a little bit. I was shy of 2 miles when power dropped off...to the speed of my other 26v battery. But I kept driving to home...another mile. I check batteries at home...the 2 halves (3 sticks ) have equal voltage, which tells me these cells exhausted after a little use. I'd ive them a 1 on ah capacity. Somthins not right here. But I still want to try buying the hi c 4500mah sticks. Maybe they would do better. I'm just wondering how they figure out this ah capacity they claim. This is ludricus. I will charge the battery to see the ah to charge. Perhaps another cycle will improve the capacity by 100%.
The nimh did get a little warm. But not as hot as some of my ping cells. But dang, it was nice for about 5 minutes....I paid up to see the result. I would not recommend at present time. Come on...what a piece of crap....

Dude man like dude sorry to here about your fricken nimh batterys. Sounds like you need more of them. Chit.

Here's what I did then. I connected 3 7.2v sticks in parallel for 23.8v battery. I put this in series with 1 12vsla and 15 good ping cells and 4 bad ping cells all in series for around 90v. There is no problem now. It's nice to go 35mph! I got my nimh chargers sorted out. One was kicking off early. I was getting ready to send it back, but I figured I would try unraveling the dc cord (my other 21 cell charger had cord unravelled). Turns out this made all the difference in the world. The charger work fine now. So for my trip, the battery(s) each charge 1.5ah. I haven't tested the capacity again. But I did buy some more nimh battery sticks hi-c to make a new 96v 3.8ah brick. It looks as if I can run 12 sticks, as 6 sticks come out to under 48.5v each, and I don't want to exceed 100v and blow my controller.
The nimh packs run great in parallel, then charge separate. All cells remaining equal. Now when I only used part of my ping cells for first test, Then I have to charge the parts separately. I am always combining different chargers in series to wind up at the proper voltage. But I didn't quite get it with this last separate charge. 10 ping cells charged up to 44v. 5 cells to 24v. oops. I had too much voltage to add all my batteries in series. but I switch off the 12vsla for trip to work, then switch in circuit for ride home. The pings do not lose the extra voltage right away. In fact this extra voltage seems to hang around for at least an ah, or over a mile. Anyhow, the nimh are providing me with battery patch solutions.
There is one important consideration for me for battery choice, and this is about if the single cell is equal to my desired ah capacity. For example, the ping battery is 2 cells in parallel, which breaks one of the rules of .....These type of cells charge equalize in parallel circuit. The discharge behaviour is opposite this, which is opposite to the behaviour of nimh, which discharge equalize in parallel, but must be charge separate.

all in all, I am happy with my 24v nimh, which is 4lbs. I will check the ah capacity again now that batteries have been cycled, the most I have gotten so far is 1.5ah. Voltage at 23.0-23.1 (6cells) after 3 miles, 1.5ah each half of 24v battery.
Check this out. After 1st run, with all cells in series, at end of trip, my voltage at 42v. Then I lift rear tire and apply throttle and brake for load test. The battery meter touched 25v (36cells). But didn't seem to damage battery at all.

Duct tape is an artform all its own. I ordered these 3.8ah 96.5v battery. It is 86v rated putting out 96v. The bike is also X6. X is like an 8. It's infinity. Here is pic of my bike today. I went on 3 mile ride. Its the best its ever been now. I have no need for full throttle. I can cruise around at half throttle and 30mph, with only one little 96v battery. Perfect fit! I'm going to make more of these batteries. And make my battery white, hmmm..maybe white fenders too. Check out my mirror. It has been tested for 5 years now. It is unbreakable! A bungee cord holds the nirror snug to handerbar. I have hit concrete post with it at 25mph. I have dropped the bike on the mirror xeveral times. Sometimes it pops off, but it never break, and easy to adjust with heel of hand while riding. My battery pops on in one second and hold tight.

Nice fenders. I need to get some of those.

Ok, now my ping is about done. I spent all day saturday putting together a good 36v 10ah ping so that I could make a 20 mile trip (10 miles each way)My pings used to make it. Then I rewired my 96v nimh 3.8ah battery for switching into series or parallel. Then I had my other nimh 48v battery to put in series with the ping. I went the first six miles on one nimh 48v and ping 40v in series. I stopped after 6 miles and the connected my 96v battery for the rest of the trip. The first nimh (the same one that died after less than 2miles on its first test, now went 6 miles, with voltage a little over 44v (36 cells) the ping(12 cells) was down to 38.5v. The ping had a hot spot. I charged up all my batteries for thr trip home. For this trip, I switched my 96v battery to 48v and connected into series with the ping. I figured this would easily handle the 10 miles. The bike did start slowing down halfway, but I just rode the whole ten miles. I smelled a really strange and noxious smell when I dismounted at my destination. Turns out the nimh went to about 44.3. The ping went to 32.5v. The ping was very hot, and the newly duct-taped mass looked swollen. I feared for an explosion. I placed the ping in the middle of the yard in case of fire. Well, it never caught on fire....but burning duct tape smells really bad. I have 3 more ping cells....It appears that I just lost 3 of them on this last trip. I can see with 2 96v nimh batteries, I can easily make the ten miles. I can also see that once a ping cell is discharged past empty, it appears to be irrevocably destroyed. At least with nimh, the voltage drop keeps me informed of battery capacity. The ping was really good for a couple years. Time to put it to rest.

Uhhh, no.

Depends on what you need. I've gotten years out of pings run at 1-1.5 c. I don't recomend more than that if you want them to last. What it amounts to is this. A 48v 20 ah ping will have 64 cells in it. To run that much current, every single one of those 64 cells must be in top shape. One stinker in there, and that cell group is now running at a higher c rate than you think. At that point you are hammering the other three cells so hard it doesn't matter anymore if they are good or not. You'll be flogging em so hard they die fast.

Some have done it and got lucky, others have done it and not got lucky. My advice for pings is very conservative, because usually those thinking about a pingbattery want to have something reliable for transportation. So for a 20 ah ping, I'd call 30 amp controllers the top limit. I also discourage the use of notoriously watt hog motors like clyte 5300 series ( phoenix) and cyclone.

So what is your need BWX? Is it commuting, or is it something where a battery is more disposable, like racing or hot rodding, or dirt trail riding? Start a new thread for your response, many won't even click on this old thread nowdays.

I can't believe the old duct tape thread is alive!

Back