• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Duct Tape E-Bay Lifepo4s???

ping seems to be the ok one (arbiker501 got his from that seller).

I'll let you know what happens with my pack updates when they come in (or when the seller contacts me).

I did get mine from ping but got a email from him today saying if i ordered it would be delayed ...

But atleast he told me that before i purchashed. Plus he returns email very quick and i can understand them..

New Journey's emails are hard to understand...

I still think all the batteries are all coming from the same place yet Ping is a more honest person . JohnBear, I really want a big fat 48 20. I "need" a little more speed yet not sure about doing 72 volts.. So i might sell my 36. I have a 36 18 but it is awsome.. It pushes my WE motor to 22 mph.

Were you buying a second 36 volt 15 ah.. to run 72 . Ping did tell me the BMS would run 72 volts in a series yet not 84. He told me it would fry the BMS.. FYI.

:wink: :wink: Anyone got a 36v battery for sale????

Arbiker501 said:
yet Ping is a more honest person

I've purchased one of these packs on E-Bay recently, right from Ping, the tracking number was promptly given upon my request two days later. Yet, the package was initially posted on jan 11, while now still in Shangai, last updated view on the EMS tracking system is dated jan 12. The delay problem Ping hinted to you perhaps?

Another day, and my new tracking number does not work yet, I see New.journey07(anna) has more batteries on e-bay. It is not fair that he keeps listing new batteries when he claims not to have the materials to make them. :(

of course we knew you told us so but someone had to be guinea pigs to see whether or not the seller can deliver as stated.

I've just posted a dispute with ebay and escalated a case with paypal too at the same time. I have advised them that the seller has provided a non working ems dispatch number and subsequently hasn't replied back to the emails i've sent them afterwards.

I'm glad i went through paypal or else i'll have an insanely difficult time to get my money back or get my order sent out.

Likely these vendors are dealing with a batch of small battery makers, and since you are ordering a single pack, they have no control over the delivery time. Chinese factories do not like to deal with small orders, and if there is anything out of spec. they will likely give you what they have. Sometimes you can "get lucky" but often you just get kinda screwed. But then you always get what you pay for. :D

Don Harmon

definitely took that into account when i originally ordered the batteries. good thing is that i have access to a single cell charger if they are unbalanced. but if they do show up... i'llbe giving them a full test to determine whether they are shonky or not.

Don Harmon said:
Likely these vendors are dealing with a batch of small battery makers, and since you are ordering a single pack, they have no control over the delivery time. Chinese factories do not like to deal with small orders, and if there is anything out of spec. they will likely give you what they have. Sometimes you can "get lucky" but often you just get kinda screwed. But then you always get what you pay for. :D

Don Harmon

Do you also mean by inferrence, that the seller may be compiling enough orders to qualify for ordering from the maker(s)?
:?:

Not necessarily, but that could also be true? I frankly don't even understand why a battery maker in China would even want to fool with single packs hawked on E Bay? I suspect that what you have is someone who works in a factory that can slip a small batch of cells out the back door and they duct tape them together with a bogus BMS and hawk them to fools in the USA who think they are getting something for nothing. There I said what I think. When someone shows me a Warranty from one of these flypaper vendors, I might change my mind - or at least some damn specs.

Don Harmon

Don Harmon said:
Not necessarily, but that could also be true? I frankly don't even understand why a battery maker in China would even want to fool with single packs hawked on E Bay? I suspect that what you have is someone who works in a factory that can slip a small batch of cells out the back door and they duct tape them together with a bogus BMS and hawk them to fools in the USA who think they are getting something for nothing. There I said what I think. When someone shows me a Warranty from one of these flypaper vendors, I might change my mind - or at least some damn specs.

Don Harmon
I'd be happy to provide / show you specs of the pack or applicable warranty papers if I recieved my pack already.

What specs do you need?

albie said:
Don Harmon said:

Don Harmon
I'd be happy to provide / show you specs of the pack or applicable warranty papers if I recieved my pack already.

What specs do you need?

Would have thought you would have the specs. for the cells BEFORE you bought the pack and would have asked for a copy of the Warranty ? OH Well, I guess this is just an experiment for you, and thanks for sacrificing for the group! Since the pack is not even in your hands, just wait and see what you actually get I guess ????

Don Harmon

this is the description stuff from the seller...

The below is the batteries datas of 48V 15AH
The standard voltage:48V(10%undulation)
The standard capacitance:15A(10%undulation)1C
The rating electric current:20A
The momentary max electric current:40A
Initiative protection actions electric current:30A(5undulation)
The standard charge electric current:2.0A 10hours
The quickly charge electric current:4A 5hours
The standard charge voltage:61V
Net weight:6.5KG
The standard sizes(length*width*highness):150*100*280mm.(The shape can make follow the batteries sizes to do).
Best choice of 48V electric bike,very cheap price with long life,and light weight,suit ride within 80KM.
Notes:The batteries no including the crust,it can instead of the plumbum acid batteries directly,can use ordinary acid batteries charge to electricize(no electronegative pulse).

The items will be shipped by EMS with tracking available.(it has tracking number and you will receive within 5-10 workdays.)

Definitely an experiment... or else we would have all these people asking how these ebay lipo batteries work and be stung with issues.

Much more easier if one person experiences it and records their experience with the seller and product.

The most important and traditional holiday on the Chinese calendar is Lunar New Year. In preparation, the whole country literally shuts down for almost 2-3 weeks in January and February. I'm not sure when Chinese Lunar New Year falls this year.... although, I do remember ordering a high-tech computer item from China a few years ago during this period, and it took almost a month to arrive. The excuse is definitely plausible. What doesn't compute is the lack of communication and trust. That's a big no-no on eBay.

And thanks for all the updates guys. There's nothing wrong with wanting affordable tech. I'm talking about reliable 48V 20A Lifepo4's for under 600 dollars. If it comes from China, so be it.

After having taken a few of these packs apart so far.. i have observed one suspicious thing that leads me to beleive they are either factory rejects or as Don said above.. " picked " cells.

Both the Ocean-Cheer and the latest pack FalconEV sent me have various markings on them within the pack.. random stickers and erased numbers...

the first OC pack had ex: 31/42.. as in 31 of 42 cells... and 5/36 etc.. i presume it's a hack of multiple packs assembled into something that " works " where it once upon a time could not.

the newest green prismatic cans have the same thing, black X's .. " F " marked on some.. ( F=Falcon or Failed or Fire ? or FU!@#$ ), but cleaner labels with 1 of 235 etc....the cells are not in sequence.. so one two skip a few... etc... are these factory rejects or were the missing numbers the rejects and these are the only one's that made it... ???? who knows.. :x and i don't expect an honest answer anytime soon. :|

The one pack I did get was rated at 36v 15a It delivered this amount exactly at ebike loads, not at low drain 20 hour rate. I have not had this luck with any nickle pack. I had taken my bike up every hill there is in a 30 km radius of where I live to torture test the pack. -(Full throttle up and down the hill) It did not get warm. - I checked the pack ever 5-10km So far the first batteries I have recieved are fine, it is the getting of them that is not. I am the last person who wants to say anything good about these batteries after the run around I am getting with the 2 packs I have not recieved. I only ordered them after testing the first one and feeling more confident about the experience. I still would not recommend the sellers because they outright lie and that is not good in my book.

Attachments

• sussex1.jpg
    sussex1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 3,148
I would like to clarify that my experience is with anna and new.journey07, not Ping, Ping does seem to be more honest and knowledgeable from what I am reading here.

albie said:
this is the description stuff from the seller...

The below is the batteries datas of 48V 15AH
The standard voltage:48V(10%undulation)
The standard capacitance:15A(10%undulation)1C
The rating electric current:20A
The momentary max electric current:40A
Initiative protection actions electric current:30A(5undulation)
The standard charge electric current:2.0A 10hours
The quickly charge electric current:4A 5hours
The standard charge voltage:61V
Net weight:6.5KG

Undulation is voltage loss at current draw, our 10% undulation comes at a 4C discharge, we can handle 120A continuous discharge at 12C, and a 3C recharge. It's power to weight is 110Wh/Kg, we claim at least 80, i estimate our aounr 95 - 100 Wh/Kg on just the cell alone. we get around 80 after packaging. at these rates, it might be better suited for the bike market, but not really.

Don Harmon

I agree with Don here, I don't think these batteries are good for high discharge rates. I had only had them up to 30 Amps maximum discharge. I think 40 or 50 amps may be pushing these batteries. I will never own a bike that uses 40 or 50 amps because I like to pedal- unless I decide to make an e-motorcycle, or a commuter x5. Then I would purchase batteries accordingly.

Don,

What would be lifebatt price for a 48 15 ah pack that would preforem to the above specs.. ?

Personally I do not have a need for hi amp draw.. Since you have had some very good input about the Lifebatt product . I want to go to a 48 volt pack Maybe that should be the way to go. SO please Post a price for us all to get a better understand of your products you Selling.. For me i have to make a compromise between price, preformance and risk.

Arbiker501

Arbiker501 said:
Personally I do not have a need for hi amp draw..

It's best to have batteries with some "headspace" so your not always forcing the packs to their limits. Like having a car with a 60 hp engine is fine, but your constantly reving to the max, shortening it's lifespan. With batteries it's at the cellular or electron level. I've had to replace a set of batteries once, granted it was only $300 then, but it was painfull non-the-less. Ideally we want to stretch the lifespan as much as possible, and to do this is to buy 20ah if possible (for my needs) and extra amperage draw so I'm not constantly maxing out my pack at every stoplight or hill.
:) Just something I've learnt the hard way through the years of ebiking, I often use my bike for shopping, with panniers full.

Back