E-BikeKit rewiew, 36 volt front hub

dogman dan

1 PW
This is a rewiew of the 36v front hub kit from E-BikeKit. The kit was offered to me free in exchange for a detailed and honest review. Those who know Jason won't be suprised that he offered the kit to me free, and those who are familiar with my reviews of other motor kits will know that I will not sugar coat anything to get a free motor. I will ride this kit hard for at least 500 miles and try my best to break it, and then tell all about it here, good bad or ugly. If I really like it, I'll advise many to buy one too.

The smiley ratings is for those who don't want to read every word.
:D = It does function or was not entirely satisfactory.
:D :D = Its okay, or average.
:D :D :D = It meets my best expectations, very good.
:D :D :D :D or more= Very happy with it, or beyond expectations. Very very good.

Starting with first impressions, once the deal was struck, the motor was shipped within 24 hours. That's very nice, but shipping within 72 hours would be fine by me. Taking a week , or a month would be unacceptable.

The box. :D :D :D
When the motor kit arrived the box was in very good condition, and had an interesting design that made it two layers thick on the sides where axles like to poke through. Nice. Opening the box, we see excellent packing, with the foam blocks to keep the rim centered and foam donuts on the axles. First class packing makes it unlikely that the rim will arrive bent, or the threads stripped on the axle.inside the box.jpg

Instructions book. :D :D :D
Well written instructions, with pictures, clearly not translated from chinese. What an idea!

The rim and hub. :D :D :D
The rim is a good one, not a brand I recognize, but a good quality double wall rim. It arrived in good straight condition. Black and silver just like the one on the rear of the bike I'll put it on, so that was nice even if purely by chance. The hub is a bit larger than others I've tested, approx 9.5 inches diameter, painted black. It has one nice feature, a protector for the wires coming out the axle. The wires go through a hollow axle which protects them a bit better in case of spinout, and also allows more of the threads to contact the nut. Others have a slot milled down the side of the axle which can make it easier to screw up and strip a nut. A last nice touch is an arrow stuck to the motor indicating which way it turns when it runs. One of the nice features of this motor is that it has a rubber seal to keep water out of the hub. It just makes it that much easier to get it right on the first try when you put the motor on the bike.motor size.jpgrim brand.jpg

Controller :D :D

The controller looks good, Like I could tell the difference. I'm the take it out and try to break it tester, not the electronics genius. Only two smiles for the controller because I like an on- off switch. If you buy the battey with the kit, there is an on off switch on the battery box.I also like some kind of led to tell me the power is on. The throtte doesn't have lights for good reasons, but the controller could have a led to let me know the power is getting through from the battery. It just makes it easier to troubleshoot if you can say, Yup the controller is definitely powered up. But there are nice features on the controller too. It's well waterproofed, with nice gaskets for the wires to come out, and looking inside, I see 63v caps. So it appears 48v capable. It's small enough to be easy to find a mounting place for it. On the back, the spec sticker says 22 amp, 36volt. the wiring has some chafe protection on it which helps in the rough ol real world out there. Anderson connectors on the battery wires and the motor power wires makes those critical connections solid for 30 amps. There is a jumper wire with a lable on it that when connected, will limit the wattage for those in places where 200 watts is the legal maximum.Controller back.jpgcontroller wire seal.jpginside the controller.jpg

Throttle. :D :D :D
My kit came with all three kinds of throttle so I could evaluate each one. The kit can be ordered with thumb throttle, half twist, and full twist grips. All come with both handgrips, even the thumb throttle. There is not battery lights on the throttle because they can cause a short when a throttle gets wet, resulting in a stuck on throttle condition. With todays lithium batteries, the low battery lights on typical 4 wire throttles are useless except to tell you the battery is connected. I missed taking a pic of the throttles but I'll get one later.

Ebrakes. :D :D :D
The handles look like good quality units, all metal which I prefer on an ebike. Shaving a few ounces with plastic is not needed on an ebike. Opinions vary on the need for ebrakes, but they can make the bike safer if the throttle sticks in the on position. If a kit provides em I usually use em. The motor kit works fine without them if you just hate having the extra wires on the bike. Ebrakes.jpg

Torque arm :D :D :D
This is the first kit that came with a torque arm I've recieved. It's a very nice one with adjustable angle to fit most bikes. At 3/16 thick it looks beefy enough to stop a spinout if your axle nuts get loose. Allways a good idea, especially with front hubs. Many feel they are mandatory, but I'm one of the few that thinks not, at least at 36v anyway. Just my opinon, what's mandatory is properly installing the motor on good forks for a motor. As I said, allways a good idea, like using the seat belt in a car with air bags. So why not include the torqe arm in the kit?tourqe arm side vierw.jpgtorque arm end view.jpg

Other goodies :D :D :D
Jason did a great job trying to make the kit really complete. He provides a spoke wrench, zip ties, allen wrench, a battery connector wire with andersons, and a nice T shirt with the E-BikeKit logo. A few other tools are needed to complete the install, but nothing most people don't have. You'll need a wrench for the axle nuts, tools to put a tire on the rim, and maybe you'll need to adjust your brake shoes. I liked the inclusion of the allen wrench. I never lose those little things in the garage :roll: so it's great they put one for the throttle in the box, along with the zip ties needed to wire the frame.

Installing the kit :D :D :D I just maxed out on adding pictures to this post, so scroll down and I'll post some pictures in another post of the installation.

Installing the hub on the forks is easy, and I had no issues since this particular bike has had two other front hub kits on it. So I know from the start I will have no problems with getting the axle into the dropouts. My commuter bike is a cheap Mongoose mountain bike with full suspension. Many modifications have been made to it, for my comfort, to support heavy batteries, to have higher gears, etc. But the front forks need no modification for installing this motor.

The bike has suspension forks, but they are the all steel, pinched tube type. The dropouts are very thick and strong on this type of fork. The motor has lots of clearance so installing on these forks is no problem. As the instructions emphatically state, DO NOT use aluminum alloy forks with a front hub motor, EVER. Pay close attention to getting the washers right. I installed the wheel with the washers exactly as they were when they arrived, in place , on the axles. The inner washer goes between the hub and the dropout, then the tourque washer with the tab on it goes outside the dropouts. The tab goes into the dr
opouts facing down, so it fits into the dropouts. There is not one thing more important than getting this right. The washers need to make full contact with the metal, and not be spanning any gaps from "lawyer lips" on the forks. Quick release hubs often have a smaller cup for the QR axles that leaves a gap under the washer. If that gap is covered by the washer, it can later cause the nuts to loosen, or cause a force that spreads the dropouts. So get that washer to fit perfect, or look for other forks. I like to tighten up the nuts gradually on the first install, giving time for the washers to settle in, and then tightening some more later. I use a short handled wrench, a small crescent, so I don't over tighten and strip a nut. Don't rush this, just tighten some, then work on the controller or wiring, and then tighten a fraction more. If the axle wants to squirm out of the dropouts, this is a BIG RED FLAG that your dropouts don't fit the washers. Never file anything more than excess paint off your dropouts.

The torque arm. I installed the torque arm on the side with no wires, and after emailing Jason, I'm told to put the arm behind the fork if possible, but it will work on the front if it fits better that way.

The motor wires are all bundled in one protective cover, so the wiring is pretty easy. This kit has the only connector back at the controller. There is a good reason for this, making it easier to waterproof the whole system. The controller can be located in a protected area, and then there is no vulnerable connector down on the forks. But this does make it a tad more difficult if you have a flat tire, and need to remove the wheel. My personal solution to this, is to use small velcro strips instead of zip ties to secure that wiring to the bike frame and forks. Twice now I've had a wire get into the tire and rub a hole in the insulation, so pay particular attention to wiring the forks so they can't squirm around. With suspension forks you get some extra movement that tends to cause this to happen.

Installing the controller. :D :D :D
There is plenty of wire to install the controller just about anywhere on the bike. Several kits I have recieved have had just about 6 inche less wire than I'd like to have. One of my bikes is a semi longtail cruiser, so for that bike I need the extra six inches. On this commuter mtb, there is plenty of wire to reach my favorite location, and if I liked, I could install it further back on the rear rack. I carry my battery in a steel toolbox on the rear rack, and I like to locate the controller on the front of it, screwed to the toolbox. This gives the controller lots of cooling air, but makes it easy to cover with a trash bag if the bike is parked in the rain.

Installing the throttle. :D :D :D
Easy as pie, unless you can't get the old grips off. I use windex and tweak the rubber with a screwdriver to get the windex in there. Since you get new grips in the kit, you could just cut off the old ones with a razor knife. There is enough extra wire on the throttle to accomodate big beach cruiser handlebars. Leave lots of slack for the front wheel to turn. I chose to try the half twist first, it's my preference of throttle types.

Connecting the wiring. :D
It's allways something eh? This should have been super easy, but I managed to screw it up. The connectors are obvious which goes where so you can't mix em up. The battery connections are andersons, so they match what I have on my battery. If not, the kit comes with a bit of wire with the andersons you need on it. When I plugged it up everything seemed ok, but then the motor wouldn't run. :x :!: By now I can troubleshoot wiring pretty good, but a noob would not be so calm. Right away I see one of the big wires to the motor is not connected. A factory defect, the wire has come out of the anderson contact. The power wires are not 12 guage, so crimping them properly is a bit harder for the technician that does it. A quick fix for me, since I have contacts and a cheapie crimper. All fixed, I turn the trottle again, and it runs. But what? It stutters like heck, and shuts down after rolling about 3 feet. :x :!: :?: Doncha love this when you are raring to go for the first ride? Looking again, I see that one of the halls wires has come out of the plug. This one is super easy to fix, the contact is fine, it just didn't click into the housing quite right, and shoved out when I plugged it in. I suppose a little bit of paying attention to what I'm doing would help eh? My fault for not noticing it, I'm just old and going blind. Just one of those stuff happens deals. At least it shows that Jason didn't send me a throughly pre tested kit, but just pulled one off the stack. No product is 100% perfect, and I bet only one in hundreds of kits would have either of these problems. The E-BikeKit customer service would have easily helped a noob deal with these problems I encountered. Try that with the Ebay guy from China!
One extra connector is left after everything is hooked up. It's labled and engages and disengages a speed limiter. So if you live in a place with a strict watt limit, leaving it connected gives you a legal bike in those places. But off road, where watts aren't limited, simply disconnect the jumper and have the full watts. On another kit, I found using the low watt setting was a great way to get extended range if you need it. It can be hard to ride with very low throttle settings all day and using the low watt setting makes it easier to ride slow when you want to.

First Ride :D :D :D :D :D :D

How can you give enough smileys to that first ride down the block with a new ebike? The EV grin never goes away for me. It can be hard to really tell without scientific instruments how a motor compared to others, but this one seems to have a nice pull on the first few feet. It just feels good and seems a tad quicker off the line than other motors I've used. I expect that it has slightly better torque at the same wattage than smaller diameter direct drive motors. In this review I intend to only discuss this particular motor kit. Comparisons naming other motors will be made in other threads that discuss that topic. My battery is a 36v 20 ah version 1 pingbattery with 4500 miles on it. It seems to have little voltage sag, and never has a resting voltage under 40V. With this battery, 26" wheel, 60 psi, and a bike with a very upright non aerodynamic riding position I found the top speed to be 21.5 mph on my calibrated speedometer. I just took a 4 mile test run before dark, and found performance to be about what I expected. The motor is slightly noisy, but not loud. Just a slightly audible clicking sound as the rotor passed the magnets. Under a heavy load, you hear the usual brushless motor grunting, but again not loud. It seems to climb a hill fine, but a really steep grade can stall the motor. I'll be doing a better test of hill performance later today. As testing continues I'll add data to this post, keeping the findings easy to locate and look back up later on.

Hill climbing performance , no pedaling torture test. :D :D :D :D

The motor did very well on this test, noticeably outperforming another 36v motor I have. The test is 1.5 miles long, starting at 5% grade and then steepening to 7% halfway. Starting from a dead stop and not pedaling at all, the motor reached 15 mph on the 5% section, and 13-13.5 mph on the 7%. Stopping and restarting on the 7% part did not lower the top speed up the grade. Temperature was 69F, wind 3mph from behind. Rider weight 180, and the bike with all the stuff on it weighs about 85 pounds. A commuter, it has bags with tools and water etc all over it so it's on the heavy side. 36v 20 ah pingbattery at full charge. The motor did get hot by the top of the hill, but did not get seriously overheated. A second run went slower, with the battery at half discharged, and at the top the second time, the motor was definitely hot. How hot is hard to say, since I have not thermometer installed inside this time, but it was time to rest the motor by the second time up the hill.

I cannot recomend riding steep hills this way (no pedaling), especially in hot weather. It is done only to get data on the climbing ability of the motor. The best way to get up a short hill is to keep the speed above 15 mph by pedaling hard in the proper gear. A really long climb should be done in the lowest gear, using the lowest possibe throttle to keep the load on the motor low. Rest the motor every 3 miles at least if the grade is 7% or steeper. A short stop beats melting a motor when it's 95 F out there.

In normal riding, usually up and down shorter hills, this mortor will be very nice on the uphills, and moderate pedaling should get you up hills nicely. It definitely climbs steep hills at least 2 mph faster than other 36v direct drive motors I've had. Like all moderate wattage direct drive motors, it will struggle a lot more on hills over 7%. More testing later will be done on hills to see how to climb best with this motor.

48v :D :D :D :D

I just aquired a 48v 15 ah pingbattery, and the controller runs on it fine. It has 63v caps after all, and the battery is 60v. Speed and hill climbing performance are excellent at 48v . 27 mph top speed, and on 7% grade can maintain 17-18 mph for at least a mile without pedaling. Sweet! At 48v you get all the torque with no sacrifice on the speed end either.

Efficiency :D :D :D :D

I measure power used by Ebikes crudely, by using a killawatt meter on the charger. Assuming that my 20 ah battery delivers 19 ah, I divide the kwh it takes to charge by .042 to get the amp hours used for that ride. The amp hour number may be off a tad, but comparing two motors this way still gives good data on which uses more juice, and the effect of riding on hills, in wind, or at different speeds. Mabye this year santa will bring me a CA, but for now, this will do.

The motor is very efficient, and should be since it does not take the bike to 30 mph at 36v. The 21 mph top speed keeps wind resistance down, which results in a good efficiency number. The normal commute route including a detour took 12.14 amp hours to travel 15.5 miles. One mile of riding is taking .78 amp hours. Range on the whole 20 ah pack should be 25 miles. Bear in mind that this route includes at least 1000 vertical feet of hill climb and there was a slight headwind on the ride! On flat ground with few stops and no headwind, 27-30 miles should be possible with my 20 ah battery.

This is just one ride, and more data will be posted here as it comes in. This motor seems to equal the efficiency of my Fusin 350 watt gearmotor, but climbs hills under 7% much better. The geared motor can climb steeper hills, but with only 350 watts, it climbs all hills pretty slow. the E-BikeKit motor scampers up the 5 and 6% hill on my commute faster than either the Fusin or the Aotema. At the same speed the E-BikeKit motor is close to the same efficency as the Aotema. The Aotema will use more power if ridden faster though.

Full range ride test------------30.6 miles at full throttle on a 36v 20 ah pingbattery. The range test is part of how I track how my pingbattery is doing, so I do a very standardized route. It climbs 400 vertical feet and back down. It's a big square, so I get to ride up, down, and level. I also get to ride in all 4 compass directions about the same distance so results aren't skewed by wind. Temperature affects battery performance so I try to do this on at least a 70F day. Todays test was done at 80F in 7 mph wind.

Range nearly doubles if you slow down to 13-14 mph, so I could very likely ride 45-50 miles if I rode slow.

First ride home------ .51 kwh

second ride-----------.49 kwh

Ride to work, downhill leg, .35 kwh

First ride home on my commute route. :D :D :D

My route home from work is 14.5 miles mostly on back streets, bike path, or road with bike lane. Near the start I climb about 250 vertical feet at about 4%, then on the bike trail there is lots of ups and downs mostly 4% or so, but no permanent vertical gain. 6 miles from home is the big hill, about 400 feet of vertical over a mile and a half. 5% grade with a few spots of 6% and 7%, along with a few flat spots. It's a pretty killer hill, but not super steep. Just long enough to bog down a weak motor or battery. The last 5 miles are false flat, a long slow grade climbing another 150 feet of vertical.

The ride home went just fine, with plenty of speed up the hills mostly climbing at 18-19 mph on the 4% grades, no bogging down on uphill starts, and no overheating. The air was about 75F and a slight headwind. At the end of the ride the motor was about 95F measured at the alxle on the cover. Adding 30 to 40F to that gives an estimated temp inside of 125 to 135F. That temp falls just about where other similar wattage motors I've tested have been in similar weather. No suprise there, the laws of physics apply to all motors. Climbing the big hill, I was going about 15-18 mph depending on the slope, with light pedaling. Along the bike path, it was nice to ride full throttle with no worries about going above 20 mph, and possibly ticking off others on the path. Once all alone on the bike lane at the end of the ride, 30 mph would be nice, but up the slight grade with a light headwind, I still easily traveled 19.5 mph. It's a really good compromise between a good strong motor on hills and starts and a motor that keeps you legal. Others just have low wattage, and end up slow on starts and bog down on hills or headwinds. Even planetary gears doesn't cure weak. This motor is nice and strong, but not street illegal in the US. Some don't care about this since the cops ignore them, but some places over 20 mph could get you kicked off bike trails. For instance where I live, the local riders on the mountain bike single track trails have no problems with me or my electric bike on the trails. Were I to have a 35 mph bike on those trails, I would not be wecome to use the motor. But they all have said, if the Ebike is still legaly a bike, I can ride it there despite all the no motor vehicle signs.

European supressor loop. :D :D :D :D

I took the bike to a street about a mile long, with some 4% grade hill and connected the supressor loop to see if it could still climb a moderate hill at the low power setting. I was a bit suprised at how well it climbed the hill. It was much slower, of course, but with no pedaling it settled in at 10 mph, and with moderate pedaling 12 mph. Not bad for low wattage! This hill is not killer, but I expected 6 mph. On longer rides I like to ride just about 12 -13 mph so I can nearly double my range from full throttle. The hard part, when you know you have to milk that battery to its max range, is to keep from letting the speed creep up to 15 mph, and then end up out of power 15 miles from town in the middle of the New Mexico desert. This limiter feature would make it easy to keep the speed low and get the full range. Most of you will think, boy that's the last thing I'd want. But here where towns might be 60 miles apart, its a nice thing to have for a cross country ride. Instead of fretting the throttle setting, you can enjoy the ride. If it gets too hilly for the low setting, simply unplug the jumper to get up a steeper hill.

Good start Dogman, I agree that a switch would be nice. Only other thing I would like to see is a set of connectors near the hub for tire changes.

that is the 9 FET infineon controller that i upgraded to run on 72V lifepo4, has the p75fn75FETs and the infineon processor can be programmed for the speed and regen mods. just like methods and the others did with the bigger infineons.

i really like the motor because it has the seals on the axle to keep out the water, love that turbine siren sound when you are accelerating.

i have some rocker switches i bot on ebay if you want some. 5 for $1 plus shipping. i am thinking i can get them in a fat envelope and pay an extra 20 cents plus for the oversize. so total of about $2 for 5 rocker switches.

you can put one on the small red wire to cut off the controller current and not have to disconnect the andersons when you shut down and are charging.

jason sells the e-bike kit lifepo4 battery that has the key switch built in so that shuts down power usually.

Ahh, that explains why there is no need for an on off switch on the controller. I'll be using the kit as is for at least the first 500 miles.

I was adding pix to the original post, and found out I could only do 10. For now at least, here are the pictures of the motor installing

This one shows the proper order for the washers. E-BikeKit did the right thing incuding stainless steel inner washers. These washers need to be installed inside the forks, and then the tabbed tourqe washer goes on the outside. This is an important feature to prevent dropout spreading. Other similar kits include a thicker inner washer that make you have to bend out the forks to fit them. Depending on the depth of the dropouts, some folks will need to bend the tabs on the torque washers down a bit more. This was the case with my forks. After tightening the nut, I used a punch and hammer to tap down the tabs a bit.washers on axle.jpgwashers tightened.jpgTorque washer tab, bent down.jpg

This shows the tourqe arm properly installed, but Jason says it can go facing frontways too, if it fits better that way. Best of all is to have the tourqe arm bolted to the fork though a fender eyelet, if it aligns with one.View attachment 5

This pic shows the ebrakes installed, and the half throttle.Ebrakes installed.jpg

Here is the full twist, and thumb throttles.Full twist and thumb throttles.jpg

The next pix show the final tidying up of the wiring. This can be a bit overwhelming at first, but take it step by step and it gets easier. Start by gathering all the wires at the handlebars except for the wire to the motor. Leaving enough slack to turn the handlebars, you start zip tieing the wires to the frame. This is the throttle wire, and both ebrake wires, and on my bike a 36v power supply to the headlight. Once the wires are routed and tied down, then zip tie the motor wire to the other wires in the bundle. Why do that? Because one fine day you get a flat tire, and you can now cut a few ties and only the motor wire comes off the frame, while the rest stay in place. It will save you tons of time someday. Once I get to the seatpost area, I start bundling the wires, but not attaching to the frame yet, and again, the motor wire is left out.motor wires not in bundle.jpg

Next I zip tie the wires at either side of the wire plugs, so it's neat at the plugs. In a wet climate, you might want to seal the whole bundle of plugs with electrical tape or something you wrap the wiring harness in. View attachment 4

At this point, there will be a few wires that are longer, I like to bundle them up, and get all the wires the same length in the wiring harness. I never shorten wires, I might need the length if i buy different handlebars.gathering slack wires.jpg

Then the whole thing gets folded if needed and tucked and secured with zip ties under the seat. Under my butt is a dry place while I'm riding, though I don't need to waterproof much in my climate. This shot shows the battery wires connected. One 36v discharge wire to the controller with andersons, one 36v discharge wire with bullet connector for the headlight, and the brown wire on top is the charger wire. As you see, the controller is mounted on the front of the battery box for ventilation, and though the wire bundle is in front of the controller, the wires are not packed onto the hot controller. There is a space there for air circulation. The shot also shows my method for strengthening a seatpost rack. Two steel conduit struts are bolted to the rack at the midpoint, and then bolt to the frame at the bottom of the seatpost. Very strong, and also gives a great attachment point for a soft foam rear fender cut from 1/2 inch foam floor mat. If it looks rainy, I can cover the battery, seat, controller and all the connectors with one trash bag.

Attachments

• Finished bundle tucked under seat.jpg
    Finished bundle tucked under seat.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 9,808
Hey, Dogman...

You do great reviews, just one question though.

You have a smiley rating system. I have not seen more than three smiley faces so I assume that it means that you are giving three out of three smileys?

Three smileys is something good, as in it meets my best expectations, and it's very nice. Two would be its ok but could be improved. One woud be it's functional. The first ride got more smileys, since the first ride on a new motor is like, er, a new lady the frist time. Definitely gets a few more smileys. :wink: :wink: To get 4 smileys on any of the parts would take something extraordinary. For instance, if the kit came with a controller with lots of easily adjustable features, it would get lots more smileys. At this price for the kit, most other kits would not get three smileys on everything, but Jasons put together a really nice kit here and I couldn't find anything to nit pick. ES did the nit picking last year, and now the kit is dialed in nice. I did put only two smileys on the controller, since it has no on off switch, but maybe that was a bit unfair since his battery has a switch, so the controller doesn't need one.

HI MR. DOGMAN; I mounted a e-bikekit on one of my schwinn trikes that weighs about 400lbs. with me in the seat, and run it at 48 volts. it does 24.5 mph on flat ground. but i have a question?. you said that to get high watts from the controller just connect the (European jumper togather) but on my kit if you plug it togather it makes the bike only go about 16 mph!. :)

BLUESTREAK said:
HI MR. DOGMAN; I mounted a e-bikekit on one of my schwinn trikes that weighs about 400lbs. with me in the seat, and run it at 48 volts. it does 24.5 mph on flat ground. but i have a question?. you said that to get high watts from the controller just connect the (European jumper togather) but on my kit if you plug it togather it makes the bike only go about 16 mph!. :)

I tried the speed suppressor when I ran my 9C at 48V also and I didn't like it at all. I thought it might change the throttle action so that I could say go 0-18 mph using the full throttle range but all it basically does is limit the throttle to 60%. It would be the same as if you mechanically limited the throttle lever so it would only move 60% of its range. If you want a switch to throw to make your 48V system "legal" or for a newbie to ride that's fine but otherwise it's pretty useless since it doesn't actually change anything.

-R

Russell,

You are correct about the speed limiter (SL) line - this only reduces the throttle range to effect maximum possible speed - what you seem to be looking for is the variable speed settings similar to the "gears" provided by the Fusin geared hub motor controllers.

SL (Speed Limiter) is engineered to be jumped (shorted) when being used in europe, asia and such where the limits are 14mph or so... it will still get there just as fast as normal mode, but top end (therefore throttle range) is reduced. Really this is just what you called it out as - a switch for legality and newbies.

Good news - these Infineon 9FET controllers are fully capable of performing in the manor you and others seem to desire (and more) but it does require a little bit of work and some equipment.

You will need a programming adapter board from someplace like Sparkfun or Methods (USB to TTL), an application titled "Parameter Designer", a windows PC and some time...

Infineon controllers support 3 speeds or gears (current limiting) you can program using the above mentioned adapter are operated by adding a few wires to your controller on the proper circuit pads for Speed %1 and Speed%3 and also a 5v ground pad... Since all the technical details of this process are covered in detail elsewhere in the forums (search for Infineon Controller Technical) but a quick overview...

You would need to connect a simple dpdt center off (double pole double throw center off toggle 5v, 53ma) switch to these pads and 5v ground (yes you have to solder them in yourself)... Personally when I configure this, I set speed %1 at 60%, Speed %2 at 90% and Speed %3 at 110%. This will still give you full range of throttle control and works much the same as the "gears" provided with the Fusin geared hub motor controllers. I use the speed %1 setting in residential or high pedestrian traffic areas like sidewalks, much more precise control over throttle speed %2 is more than adequate to get me around > 25 mph and speed %3 is reserved for heavy traffic navigation at high speeds (ie: rush hour).

So the controller and hub are capable of variable economy modes but you do have to modify them to make this work, there is also regen of various levels and a customizable current levels if you wanted to reduce or increase the current from the factory 22a settings.

Hope this helps answer the various questions about speed control available on the controllers... stock setup only provides access to the SL line and that is pre-programmed for European legal operation as I mentioned above but if you really desire more finite control then you have options = )_

-Mike

Thanks for spotting that, I try for an accurate review, but I'm very human and make mistakes. It's correct now in the text above. Full wattage is when it's disconnected, connect the jumper for lower wattage.

The fusin "three speeds" switch is nice, and does give you better throttle controll at low speeds when in the low speed setting. The low speed setting on that controller does reduce voltage sag too, so if slow is good for you, it's easier on the battery. I ride that bike in the medium setting a lot. The fusin is a gearmotor, I have no idea how the three speed switch would perform with a direct drive motor like the E-BikeKit motor.

The E-BikeKit watt limiter will prevent you from having full throttle, so on flat terrain, It can prevent you from riding faster when you want to conserve range by riding slow. On say, a 35 mile ride, It might be easier to hold the throttle on full, than try to keep it in the middle. Later on I'll do some testing of performance with the limiter jumper connected. If I lived in NZ, I'd surely have a switch on that jumper wire on the handlebars, for a boost on hills.

Now that I think about it,,,, how about a jumper wire for 1000 watts? and a boost swich for that? Something you could use only when you need 1000 watts for a 1/4 mile steep spot. You'd need a 1000 watt capable battery of course, and a 1000 watt controller with a watt limiter jumper. Lots of people want a boost pack battery for just one hill,,,,.

dogman,

No worries on the SL stuff, just look around at my postings ... Im constantly getting terms backwards (and stuff I know well too).

The 9c hub with the 9fet controller will behave very similar to the fusin controller - all the infineon based and clones are built on top of the same reference design, the "electronic transmission" limiting is a function of this reference design. Yep, by reducing the maximum current it will reduce voltage sag because the system is pulling less power.

1000w booster - 1000w / 22a = 45.45v required for 1000w if we had 100% efficiency, the 9c is more like 80-85% efficient at optimal (top) speeds... so add 20% to the voltage (if you don't want to change the current - reprogramming the controller) so 45.45 * 1.20 = 54.54v so the 1000w is guaranteed (roughly) at Low Voltage Cutout.

Assuming a LiPo booster pack - and a e-bikekit.com LiFePo4 36v battery (has LVC @ 31.5v) we must arrange the booster pack to make up the difference so 54.54 - 31.5 = 23.04v LVC which will put you over the maximum 63v the controllers can handle (a simple capacitor upgrade can get you past this to 75 or even 100v) - 24.04 / 3.2 = 7 cells... so we will use 5s instead for our booster. At full charge this would work out to:
42v - LiFePo4
+
20.75 5S LiPo to 4.15v per cell
Packs Full Voltage: 62.75v
31.5 + 16 = 47.5v at low voltage cutout.

While you could use a single 5S lipo pack for this booster, I would suggest going with 2 5s packs in parallel for 10AH capacity then leave the booster pack connected all the time but configure the speed settings as follows:

Speed %1 =45% - Power range: 621w - 470.25
Speed %2 =75% - Power Range: 1035 - 783w
Speed %3 = 100% - Power Range: 1380w - 1045w @ pack cutout

This would provide Economy mode, Legal Mode and High Output mode from full pack charge to low cutout and meets the 1000w with boost requirement.

I won't even begin to touch on what bumping the current by 5 or 10a at battery level (if your battery can support it) can do for accelleration on the 9c... hopefully at some point in your testing / evaluation / review you will have a chance to try these more advanced features out = )_

Hope it helps!
-Mike

Excellent Review Dogman !! Great job !

I do have to echo the efforts made by Jason at E-Bikekit.com, i've seen many vendors come and go over the years and only the truely brave hang in there for the long run, i communicate with Jason regularly and am completely impressed with his dedication and will-power ( Because i can assure you that the entire ebike industry is a mess, we need more people like EBK in the pool !! )

Once you get the 36v performance nailed down, give it a 48v run :wink:

About the controller, no on/off button is one less thing to go wrong and one less place for water to get in, imo this is a good thing.. ( same as no LED's on throttle ).

Keep up the good work Dog ! 8)

MKeefer, Am I reading this right. Is there a way to bump current from 22 to say 32 a just by reprogramming? Without soldering the shunt/ I have read a lot of the infineon threads but the programing and electronics goes over my head . Sorry Dogman don't want to hijack :oops:

Torker,

Yes you understood correctly... I have managed to push as much as 45.31 AMPS peak through unmodified Infineon but my normal configuration is:

Phase Current: 75A
Rated Current: 32.5A
Max Current: 36A
Max Motor Only on Flats: 39mph
Max Watts: 2146
Max Speed: 49 mph (5% downgrade, lots of help from me and mr. newton)

I could finish my e-bikekit 9fet infineon thread (started long ago, put off because I've been busy testing various combinations, efficiencies, mods, etc) if you guys want more specific detail - but the info is here on ES, just have to search it out.

Hope this helps!

-Mike

dogman said:
Full wattage is when it's disconnected, connect the jumper for lower wattage.

I found that peak watts is the same with the speed suppressor wires connected as it is normally. When accelerating from a stop a motor will often draw the maximum current the controller will allow and since the suppressor doesn't limit current the power will spike just as high with or without the white wires connected. Of course since the throttle is limited to 60% with the wires connected acceleration quickly slows as speeds increases. But yes overall when I used my 9C at 48V with the white wires connected it performed very much like my 36V 250W Bafang at 36V.

-R

Still only on mile 30 riding it, but it seems definitely more torquey than the aotema I have been riding. The difference is not huge, but it's definitely there.
The E-BikeKit motor just seems a bit perkier off the line at stop signs, and definitely I am noticing more wheel spin if I hit trottle on a sandy patch. Since it's a hall sensor type motor, it takes off smoother at first than a sensorless.

What Russel says about wattage spikes makes sense to me, a motor will grab all the power it can, till the controller stops it. That's why a 22 amp controller can spike 30 amps easily on a start. I was only repeating what the owners manual said. "limits motor power to 200 watts when connected."

dogman said:
What Russel says about wattage spikes makes sense to me, a motor will grab all the power it can, till the controller stops it. That's why a 22 amp controller can spike 30 amps easily on a start. I was only repeating what the owners manual said. "limits motor power to 200 watts when connected."

A controller with a 22A limit really does limit current (from the battery) to 22A, at least that's what my WU meter says. The suppressor makes the 9C feel overall like a lower power motor however the WU meter recorded a peak power of 1095W when I had it enabled and used a 48V/10Ah LiFePO4 battery and the 22A E-BikeKit controller.

-R

I thought it was still possible for very brief spikes above the controllers amp limit to ocurr, till the controller goes to work and pulls it back down. Wasn't that what happend to people running x5's on pingbatteries with 45 amp controllers. Brief amp spikes would trip the bms high amp limit and shut down the pack.

You guys will allways be way over my head on this controller stuff, I'm just an ol Agriculture degree guy. If the tractor breaks get a bigger hammer to hit it.

Do continue to jump my butt when I get it all mixed up.

Replying to Ypedal, right now I don't have a handy 48v battery, my nicads are permanent mounted to the dirt bike. But eventually I'll get a battery, or remove the nicads for a 48v test. I'd love a 48v 15 ah ping so I'd have 70 mile range for some cross country trips when also carrying my 36v 20 ah ping.

dogman said:
I thought it was still possible for very brief spikes above the controllers amp limit to ocurr, till the controller goes to work and pulls it back down. Wasn't that what happend to people running x5's on pingbatteries with 45 amp controllers. Brief amp spikes would trip the bms high amp limit and shut down the pack.

You guys will allways be way over my head on this controller stuff, I'm just an ol Agriculture degree guy. If the tractor breaks get a bigger hammer to hit it.

I don't know how fast the WU meter samples but the peak current it displays at the end of a ride is always in a very tight range, for example 21.83A to 22.13A for my E-BikeKit 22A unit. I've noticed that peak amps is not what the controller allows steady state such as when climbing a hill, in that case the current is normally held an amp or two lower than the peak. For my other E-BikeKit controller modified for 15A it will peak at a max of about 15.25A (48V) but will limit current to just under 14A going up a hill. At 36V the same controller allows peaks of right about 16A.

-R

dogman said:

I'd have to reread those threads, but I think they were using a CA to limit the current lower than the controller's max. Cycle Analyst have a lag before they react, so you can get a few thousandths to hundredths of a second of an amp spike before the CA clamps it down.

dogman said:

Replying to Ypedal, right now I don't have a handy 48v battery, my nicads are permanent mounted to the dirt bike. But eventually I'll get a battery, or remove the nicads for a 48v test. I'd love a 48v 15 ah ping so I'd have 70 mile range for some cross country trips when also carrying my 36v 20 ah ping.

I believe this is what Block time parameter is for... there has been some talk that this parameter will change how fast the controller reacts to limit the current... testing seems to indicate this is correct, as I give higher and higher block time value the amount of current over rated which is allowed to spike increases.

A setting of 1 gives the experience Russell conveys above - oh Rus: 48v * 22A = 1056watts so your measurement is correct. I believe the manual to be mistaken here, however since the purpose of the jumper is to comply with EU and Asia laws for eBikes (200w nominal?) the stated value makes sense.

-Mike

Just some bla bla to keep the review on top.

I still really do like this kit, but do kinda miss 25 mph. 20 mph is perfect in town on the bike path or the neighborhood street where the kid chases a ball into your path. But on the last leg home on the frontage road all by myself, 20 mph seems a bit slow now. I find that after a bit of riding, I get used to any speed. When I hypermile cross country, I ride 12 mph to double my range. It's an attitude thing. Commuting, I just want to get home at the end of the day. Food is waiting for me there. On the ride to work, I'm like, "aw shucks, the rides over allready?"

Welcome to the 9th continent! It is indeed a torquey little beast even at 22A. The 48v Ping with routinely spin the front tire a bit under full throttle when pulling away from a stop...FUN!

That torque arm is better than some I've seen....:) The box & packing seem to be the de facto standard for all vendors shipping that particular kit.

Even the axle bearings are sealed against water intrusion...so the thing should be okay to run in the wet ALL the time...I've run in the rain countless times...you WILL have fun on this rig...:)

Great review!

Back