E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

stealth sighted on my way home from work. its was a cool moment, we both went through an under pass , oposite direction at the same time , probably both going 60kph, down hill to the middle. was perfgectly symetrical oposite direction under the road above.
Adelaide red bomber owner- who are you?! that light on the front was serious. maby a quigly spec.

I still have my freegopower 20ah. But that one is only 40a continious discharge. It's a good pack but not if i want to pull more amps? Its on my shelf in the background, sparepart? :roll: No 90v pack is on the shelf products. Had to be costum made
I have seen 90-95c max so far with the tc100. But temps outdoor here now is about 13celcius

I ordered a new battery charger from this Chinese company. It's going to be used as a back up, and is supposed to have identical specs to the stock charger. Looks pretty much like it too. With shipping it's $166.50

General Electronics Battery Co.,Ltd
Address: Bld. 2, Chaohuilou Hi-tech Industry Park, Dalang, Longhua, Baoan District, Shenzhen 518109, P.R. China

Theodore Voltaire said:
I ordered a new battery charger from this Chinese company. It's going to be used as a back up, and is supposed to have identical specs to the stock charger. Looks pretty much like it too. With shipping it's $166.50

Address: Bld. 2, Chaohuilou Hi-tech Industry Park, Dalang, Longhua, Baoan District, Shenzhen 518109, P.R. China

Nice let us know if it works well. I was thinking about buying another charger.

proper159 said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

Nice let us know if it works well. I was thinking about buying another charger.

Yes, I plan to report about any differences I notice between it, and the stock charger. Apparently it's not an off the shelf item. They claim to be making it to my specs. We'll see in about 4 weeks.

Got a quick question, right now I have my speed capped at 60 km on cycle analyst, if I return it to stock, will my range increase? I know that the controller somehow makes the battery use more AH when you go slower, how about stock speed? I also feel like my 9th gear would be used way more if I go stock settings, right now I float at 8 and 7 when I'm in full motion ( I shift down further weaving through traffic).

I think it would be more effective if you turned down your Amp Draw instead of the speed cap setting, if you want to have more range that is. Primarily, it's your current flow that impacts on rane and performance.
High flow - low range. Low flow more range.

Not sure why you gett less Ah when you cap the speed it really should not matter.
When I go at 60km/h I have to pedal pretty fast on my 9th gear. 7 an 8 would be way to low for the task. I would look like a hamster in a wheel.

Less amps definitely equals more range...as proven by myself eons ago on this thread doing 82.6km on my Fighter.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23996&start=1515#p557796
photo0050qd.jpg

That was when it was still stock.

On another note...has anyone else had any issues with the stock rims chewing up tubes. I thought it was the brand of tubes I was getting at first, but now another brand has done it also...4th one that's done it!
I've found the rim hole for the valve stem has been wearing away at my tubes over time, eventually leading to the tube loosing all air and being un-patchable...very annoying when your not carrying a spare tube. It seems the edges of the rim around the valve hole are particularly sharp and easily eat into the tube rubber over time.

Anyway, I've now added some heavy duty tape around the valve stem hole to see if that stops it from happening again. Fingers crossed it's a thing of the past for me.

For those running stock rims, check your tube valve area's next time you change a tire...you might find similar results.

Cheers

CD, I would drill out your valve stem hole to 7.5mm or so, then work the bit back and forth to kind of smooth out the surface. Then you could wrap the stem several times and never have this problem again. But are you sure the rim is wearing through the stem from abrasion, or is the stem being damaged because the tire slipped on the rim under load?

Rick

I noticed last night that my charger only has 86.5 volts.

I've been noticing for about a month that my battery was only charging to 86.5 v, but I thought it was the battery. Does this mean my charger is bad?

My bike still runs the same as always.

I've found the rim hole for the valve stem has been wearing away at my tubes over time, eventually leading to the tube loosing all air and being un-patchable...very annoying when your not carrying a spare tube. It seems the edges of the rim around the valve hole are particularly sharp and easily eat into the tube rubber over time.On another note...has anyone else had any issues with the stock rims chewing up tubes. I thought it was the brand of tubes I was getting at first, but now another brand has done it also...4th one that's done it!

Hi, Fellow Stealth Enthusiasts:

Long time Bomber owner and follower of this board. I have gained so much, perhaps I can give a little back. CD, I may have a simple solution for this vexing problem.
It is a combination of an earlier solution, first proposed by you: 1) Use the old Duro inner tube as a liner 2) change to Schwalbe Downhill 24 x 3 AV10D inner tube(pt#75-507). You will note that this tube has two great features 1) the all metal stem and 2) a metal washer that allows you screw it down and secure the tube to the rim, thus eliminating tube migration. I ride on road and off, year round, using Duro Razorack tires with no flats(approximately 1yr using this technique) , of course the tires wear out, but... . It has worked well for me and may work for you as well.

Theodore Voltaire said:

I've been noticing for about a month that my battery was only charging to 86.5 v, but I thought it was the battery. Does this mean my charger is bad?

Every once in a while mine does this also. If I leave it plugged in after the fault safety switch shuts off, it still trickle charges. I can't remember for sure, but along time ago, someone commented about this and if I remember correctly, it seems when the charger does this, it actually assists with ensuring the cells stay balanced. Next time you your charger shuts off and its below 87+ volts, leave it plugged in for a few hours, and then check your CA display, I bet it climbs up to 87.4 to 87.6 volts. If I am incorrect, someone please comment.

Rick

Rix said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

Every once in a while mine does this also. If I leave it plugged in after the fault safety switch shuts off, it still trickle charges. I can't remember for sure, but along time ago, someone commented about this and if I remember correctly, it seems when the charger does this, it actually assists with ensuring the cells stay balanced. Next time you your charger shuts off and its below 87+ volts, leave it plugged in for a few hours, and then check your CA display, I bet it climbs up to 87.4 to 87.6 volts. If I am incorrect, someone please comment.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I just went out in the garage and slapped it on the charger. The battery is charged, but it's been a couple days since I rode it. The charger turned on for about 30 seconds, and then the green light came on with the CA showing 86.7 v. I'll let it stay on for a few hours and see if anything changes. I'll check on it every 20 minutes or so.

Last night I measured the output of the charger with my volt meter, and it was only putting out 86.5 v with no load. I used to always see 87.6 v right after when the charger shut off.

I'm glad I already ordered a new charger.

I should clarify normally I see the voltage on the CA. Last night was the first time I ever checked the charger output with a volt meter, but the meter and the CA were both in agreement.

Rix said:

Rick

I stopped the test after 2 hours. This is what I noticed. It started out showing 86.7 v on the CA. After 45 minutes it climbed to 87.2 v. After 1 hour it was back down to 87 v. After 1 1/2 hour it was 86.9. After 2 hours it was 86.6 v. I stopped the test at this point. I'm pretty sure at no time did the charger cycle back on during the whole 2 hours. The green light was on the whole time too.

Next I pulled the XLR plug out of the bike, and measured it's output at 86.6 v.

This leads me to believe whatever is wrong, if anything, is in the charger. Does 1 volt really matter?

Theodore Voltaire said:
Rix said:

Rick

I stopped the test after 2 hours. This is what I noticed. It started out showing 86.7 v on the CA. After 45 minutes it climbed to 87.2 v. After 1 hour it was back down to 87 v. After 1 1/2 hour it was 86.9. After 2 hours it was 86.6 v. I stopped the test at this point. I'm pretty sure at no time did the charger cycle back on during the whole 2 hours. The green light was on the whole time too.

Next I pulled the XLR plug out of the bike, and measured it's output at 86.6 v.

This leads me to believe whatever is wrong, if anything, is in the charger. Does 1 volt really matter?

No, one volt doesn't matter much, with our batteries, one volt low is the difference between 18wh. Not much, you were riding the Bomber super easily and assisting your ass off, could come out to about 3/4 mile less distance with power assist. For a a 1200wh usable capacity, it would be the differnce in going 67 or 66.25 miles rounded @ 18wh per mile. But still, your charger should be trickeling up around 87.6 volts or so.

Rick

My charger shows 86,7 At the leads.
Fully charged battery always showed 86.7-87V

The voltage settles down to ~80V after a few hours of rest, thats how LiFePo4 works.
As long as you have the charger connected it will feed the BMS resulting in constant ~87V on the battery.

Allex said:
My charger shows 86,7 At the leads.
Fully charged battery always showed 86.7-87V

The voltage settles down to ~80V after a few hours of rest, thats how LiFePo4 works.
As long as you have the charger connected it will feed the BMS resulting in constant ~87V on the battery.

Sounds like you charger is working about the same as mine Allex. Not long ago it was always charging to 87.6 v. Now it seems to vary between 86.5 - 86.7 v.

After overnight my battery has dropped to 86.2 v which is pretty normal. If I don't touch it for a week, it would drop to about 85 v.

I'm not terribly concerned about it, but I know something has changed. After I get my new charger, I'm going to let one of my Einstein friends take a look at it.

Cowardlyduck said:
Less amps definitely equals more range...as proven by myself eons ago on this thread doing 82.6km on my Fighter.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23996&start=1515#p557796
photo0050qd.jpg

That was when it was still stock.

Thanks, what settings should I set the bike too regarding your best set up including power and range. I guess I'll reset the km/hr limiter but what else should I set to, not sure what is the optimal Amps.

Thanks, going 82 km distance would be pretty awesome. Right now I'm at around 46 km before I run out of power. Mind you I'm waiting for the torque plates to arrive so I can resume regen, but that only really gives me about 1 AH if I'm lucky.

Added to the stable, Fighter #185. Oh yah, was going to post a random pic and see how long it took for members to notice as a funny, but didn't. Different shade of Green, really like it even better. Bomber is going to Pops. Life is grand. :p

Attachments

• Bomber and Fighter.jpg
    Bomber and Fighter.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,543
  • Fighter.jpg
    Fighter.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 2,543
Back