Electric this 250cc Quad ATV

TheBeastie

1 MW
Hi guys,
I am trying to fix this Chinese quad ATV but I am thinking even if I get it going again it probably won't be long again before something else goes wrong.

While I have lived in the ebicycle forum for a few years I am pretty clueless on electrifying motorbikes or quad atvs using mid drives etc.

What would you guys recommend for this? I am thinking I may as well use the existing chain drive sprocket setup and not us a hub motor.
I am not interested in speed at all, max 15-20km/h would be fine, it's just about getting around the farm build.

Any thoughts would be great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2,204
To avoid the need of a 2 stage reduction or a gearbox, I would use a hubmotor, but mounted on the swingarm so no chain issues. If necessary extend the swingarm forward of the pivot and mount the motor there. Since you don't need speed, it's a piece of cake project. I just haven't found a cheap enough quad or I'd already have one to show as an example.

I'm sorry...but I think a hub motor is the worst solution for an ATV. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tek said:
I'm sorry...but I think a hub motor is the worst solution for an ATV. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was talking about running the hubmotor out of the wheel. Single sided axle hubbies do exist, and if those are well sealed then it would be a good solution. The "worst solution" would be a noisy high rpm motor that required and extra stage of reduction.

Agree about whiny high-rpm motor, but I'd say keep the chain and sprocket. Maybe run a hubmotor in the swingarm like a 'stokemonkey' setup? He needs more raw torque to climb inclines and stuff.

John in CR said:
I just haven't found a cheap enough quad or I'd already have one to show as an example.
You should keep in contact with your local motor wreckers, with all these combustion engine entry level Chinese ATVs in the market there should in theory be some good pickings. I would say they wouldn't advertise much because the words "Stuffed Chinese ATV" wouldn't bring in many buyers.

Yeah I was thinking mid drive, kind of eyeing this kit cos its somewhat local, the site seems to sell its commitment to quality etc quite well. Was eyeing cheaper setup originally but I think I got to break the cheapskate mindset and do it at least somewhat right.
http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/brushless-gear-motor-60v-2000w-600-700-rpm-85nm-controller-accessories.html

But looking on aliexpress etc there are heaps of fat 8-10 inch rim scooter hubs out there, still I can't envision putting one on, don't seem that cheap anyway, but would be nice to move around the country side in near silence.

Not Aliexpress for that. Hit Craigs List for an electric scooter that doesn't work. Bring tools with you to check that the motor is okay...an ebike tester would be best, but alternately shorting the phases and turning the wheel to note the changes in plug braking is enough to tell you the windings aren't shot. You'd get some extra parts you can use too, and an electric scooter that was pretty cheap to begin with is almost free once the batteries die or controllers fry, because DIY is the only repair.

Down here used stuff gets repaired. "Stuffed" stuff is almost impossible to find, at least for salvage prices.

Well I got my kit, its a 2000w kit.
Its pretty beefy/chunky looking, motor is really heavy. Controller is marked as 1500w, motor marked 1000w but aparently this is done to get it out of China customs so its cheaper as it costs more to export 2000w gear.
I added a 18650 and HK battery as size comparison.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwxrzOTOLzKval9zRFJlU1JuZVE&usp=sharing

Mammalian04 said:
How goes it?
I havent done it yet, had a few personal issues getting in the way, my mother fell over and is in hospital for some broken back vertebrae. Spent most of the holiday xmas period driving relatives back and forth from the hospital which is at least a 2 hour round trip etc..

Just an update on the quad bike.
I took the old ICE motor out and at least placed the electric motor in its place to get an idea of how it will look.
I just ordered a sprocket to fit on the electric motor for the chain as the one that's on the ice motor wont fit on as it has a internal core diameter of 17mm and the electric motor needs a 22mm one. So I ordered a 22mm one and it will probably take a few weeks for it to come in the mail.

Attachments

• 13717332_10155057310339447_198095769800343683_o.jpg
    13717332_10155057310339447_198095769800343683_o.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 1,258
  • 13738144_10155057310349447_7607979185054932992_o.jpg
    13738144_10155057310349447_7607979185054932992_o.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 1,258
Back