Electrics are better than Fossils in cold

May I move this into another recent thread that is discussing similar things?

Personally, i'd like this thread separate as intended.
I also don't like warzone like posts.

This is a pretty decent article.

I have lived in places where it got down to -18F or -7C..
I bundled up like an eskimo and rode with a giant turnigy lipo pack during those times.. barely sagged.. i got 98% of the capacity.. and this was back around 2011.. :)

1705990577653.png

The reason why is that the C rate was overspecced to absolute hell so i had insane headroom.. normally the C rate would be cut by 1/4 in those conditions but i had 10x lower IR than i needed.

Numerous new chemistries exist that can tolerate cold way better than regular lithium.. and are making their ways into EVs starting this year.

No reason to think that new EVs won't be superior to gas cars... the recent negative article was just your typical media chaff. Reminded me why i don't pay attention to the 'news' anymore :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I read that Tesla article and I think how many of those were people that didn't plan ahead. My neighbor has a Tesla and he doesn't have a charger at home. I wonder how many of those vehicles were just drivers that were unprepared and had a low charge before the storm.

C rate was overspecced to absolute hell so i had insane headroom.
I didn't plan this way (still too newbie to think about it) but I did oversize my battery so that I had more than enough even keeping the charge between 20% & 80% for longevity to cut the real cost.
A 20AH battery that lasts three or more times as long costs less than two 10AH batteries that don't.

Last edited:
This article is a bit of a puff piece too, though, isn't it? Just on the opposite spectrum as the one hating on Chicagoland Teslas.

Skip to the end:
"Overall, Viking says that electric vehicles are involved in roughly 21% of all its cases so far in 2024."
Two lines up from that:
"Setrom says that 23 percent of the cars in Norway are electric cars"
That's... the same then, right?

The article is cherry picking a statistic from one insurance company, in one country, over only a 9-day period, in order to get that statistic that 13% of assistance requests come from electric cars. And the spokesperson even states at the end of the article, once you expand the window to all of 2024 so far, instead of just a 9-day period, the assistance requests almost exactly align with the percentage of IC versus EVs in Norway.

The article also concedes that you can't make a blanket statement without taking into consideration the age of the car, and that electric cars on average are much newer than the Norwegian fleet of IC cars.

And from the original TV2 article, using Google translate:
"A regularity that both the insurance companies and Viking point to is that the car is used less often and is often taken on short trips."

Meaning that cars used more frequently and on shorter trips do better in the cold than cars that sit for days before being started. Another variable that needs to be considered.

To be clear, I think the other article in the other thread is dumb fluff as well. I just like to avoid confirmation bias in either direction.

Whatever the statistics, or accuracy of the reports, the reality is that both ICEs, and EVs can give problems in cold weather…thats a fact.
However , the two are problems are very different in nature, and resolution
The EV issue is basicly one of ability to charge, whilst the ICE is simply one of starting. (battery fault).
The ICE issue is easily resolved with either a jump start ($50 pocket jump pack, another car, etc), or ultimately a new battery !……
…but the EV charge problem is not so easy or quick to rectify .!🤔

Whatever the statistics, or accuracy of the reports, the reality is that both ICEs, and EVs can give problems in cold weather…thats a fact.
However , the two are problems are very different in nature, and resolution
The EV issue is basicly one of ability to charge, whilst the ICE is simply one of starting. (battery fault).
The ICE issue is easily resolved with either a jump start ($50 pocket jump pack, another car, etc), or ultimately a new battery !……
…but the EV charge problem is not so easy or quick to rectify .!🤔
very good point. I had this exact same conversation this morning. ICE batteries where I'm at in FL, USA last about 3 years max due to the heat, depending on if vehicle is stored in garage or under shelter from sun.

Back