EV-Assemble 12ah 36v headways pack + 4a kingpower charger.

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
I am one of those people who have trash talked Chinese vendors such as EV-Assemble, BMSBattery, and various eBay sellers based on what i have seen from the reports of users on ES.

Strangely enough; i was selected to be a reviewer of an ev-assemble 12ah 36v headways pack, and recieved one in the mail, courtesy of Michael at EV-Assemble, in exchange for a review.

I have to admit, i was curious about the battery packs EV-Assemble was selling though. There is definitely a niche between
RC lipo and ping packs that needs to be filled in the electric bike world. Considering the low cost of these packs, it is hard
to write this option off without further investigating.

Disclaimer; i am not affiliated with any vendors or ebike companies, period.
I do however, like providing reviews for the sake of helping people on ES make an educated decision on what to buy.

-------

eva-headway01.jpg

OK, so the package arrived today. The first thing i noticed is that this is the first Chinese vendor i have dealt with to actually admit that there is a lithium battery inside, with a big sticker with flames on it.

eva-headway02.jpg

The battery and charger were packed fairly well considering that they were being shipped via air and not sea. There was an additional layer of thin rubber around the battery too.

eva-headway03.jpg

The charger i recieved ( 4A, kingpower, 36v ) was packed with 2 extra sets of 45a anderson connectors. I thought this was a nice touch, for a charger that retails at what, $35?
It is a light and compact charger; i think i will actually order another one as an opportunity lipo charger for my main bike.

There was no manual pertaining to the battery itself.

eva-headway04.jpg

Another picture of the kingpower charger.

eva-headway05.jpg

Inside the kingpower charger - yes; i took it apart before even powering it up. This is how we do things on ES :)

eva-headway06.jpg

There are 3 potentiometers on this charger, but look at this VR3... looks like it is for voltage regulation. It seems like this charger is adjustable, this is a big plus because it could potentially work as a lead acid or RC lipo charger.

eva-headway07.jpg

OK, so the battery pack has two sets of wires coming out of it. I think there is a potential problem here in the design though. The charger wire has black shrinkwrap around it instead of blue. This could easily lead to the user accidentally connecting the charger into the wrong place. I think this can be improved, with blue shrink wrap on the charger.

eva-headway08.jpg

On the scale, the battery came in at about 12 pounds. Remember, headways are not the lightest batteries. They are in fact in the lower end of the whr/kg scale for lithium batteries, around 100whr/kg. On the upside, they are one of the more higher output lifepo4 chemistries, being rated at 5C constant discharge.

eva-headway09.jpg

Well, the first thing i did was disassemble the pack. Under a layer of thick shrinkwrap was a box made out of 6 sheets of a material that EV-Assemble calls 'FR4'. EV-Assemble also says that the shrinkwrap is fireproof. I noticed that the tape around this box was 3M tape.

One concern is that the battery pack seemed to shift around inside this case. it is a minor annoyance; a tighter fit would be preferred.

eva-headway10.jpg

OK; so let's talk about the pack construction now that we have freed this pack from it's cage.

eva-headway11.jpg

Notice the BMS on top.. with no protection. This could be a problem down the road.
It would be a good idea to at least label the outside box as to prevent the user from sitting the battery down so that 10 pounds of cells aren't sitting on top of it. It is just one of those things that could happen if the user is not aware of this.

Other than that, the pack looks well-protected against vibration, shock, and drops. So all annoyances aside, this pack seems well built.

eva-headway12.jpg

It looks like ev-assemble used the stock headway cell blocks and interconnectors.
This is a good thing, and professional a build as any other headway pack.

eva-headway13.jpg

The balance leads to the BMS are interconnected by wrapping the wire around the cell connector. I am not a fan of these types of connections, but the duct tape should prevent the kind of vibrations that would knock these loose. This is adequate. All the cell screws were tightened down properly.

eva-headway14.jpg

The power output leads were mechanically crimped. This is probably better than a soldered connection since they can take vibration better this way.

eva-headway15.jpg

Pack voltage as shipped was 40.3v.
Initially, the cells had differing voltages. This is before any kind of balance charging, however.
We are also at 1 cycle here, and these cells have not been broken in just yet.

After putting this battery on the charger, The BMS did it's work in very short time. 2 cell LEDs lit up on the BMS and then went dark within 2 minutes. I assume this means that the cells are all balanced, since there was no manual provided with this battery.

The charger started whirring as soon as it was plugged in. The fan wasn't too loud, and did stop spinning when the charge was over.

eva-headway16.jpg

Without the box, this pack came in at about 11 pounds.

eva-headway17.jpg

It looks like a triangle mount of this pack could be difficult. It fit within my cranks however, leaving a few MM of space. Mind you, my cranks are not bowed out at all. With a wider bottom bracket, or cranks that bow out a little, it would not be too hard to mid-mount a 36v or 48v 12ah version of this battery.

eva-headway18.jpg

The battery fit very snugly into a topeak MTX rear bag.
With the battery charged to 41.90v ( after resting for about 15 minutes after charging ), i figured it's time to take this battery out for a spin!

eva-headway19.jpg

So in true ES fashion, i immediately pointed the bike up the steepest hill possible in order to draw peak amps. I hit my amp limiter quickly running a MAC motor up a 0.5 mile 7% grade. Then proceeded to ride around town for ~30 minutes.

eva-headway20.jpg

OK; so let's talk about performance; that's what you really wanted to know about, right? :)
This is definitely not 20C RC lipo or 20C A123 we are talking about. I got a 4-4.5v drop with a 3C ( 36 amps on a 12AH pack ) load. The C rating of these cells does coincide somewhat with my RC lipo; i do get 1.25v of voltage drop on 10AH of 10s/36v RC lipo. These headway cells do have 1/4th of the discharge C rate of the RC lipo and A123, so they have 4x the voltage drop.

Coming from lipo, this was a bit of a downer. I think if you are purchasing a headway pack, you do need to overspec it a little. Running it at 2C-2.5C constant would be best for performance and cell life.

If you were to run lower amps, or a 16ah pack instead of a 12ah, the performance would be rather good.

The upside here is that these cells will handle loads that ping packs would choke on.
On ev-assemble's website, they mention that this pack is rated at 36 amps ( 3C ), but capable of 50 amps max discharge (~4.1C).

I believe these are realistic C numbers for the headway cells. I have seen other resellers claim 5C rated, 10C continuous; that seems dishonest. I respect EV-Assemble for conservatively rating these cells. The manufacturer of the cells do claim 5C/10C, but going off these tests, that seems overblown.

To further drive the point home, after an average 2C load for ~30 minutes in 87f/31c outside temperature riding, inside the topeak bag, these cells got quite hot. The temperature was between warm and burning your hand. Mind you, if i ran 20C lipo at 10C constant in the same conditions, it would be hot as well.

So the reality check is that these cells need to be ran below their rated limit for long life and minimum voltage sag.
I do not believe these cells will perform well or last long at 5C or above.

eva-headway21.jpg

After draining 10.5ah from the pack, the cells were amazingly well balanced. I could not drain further due to my LVC. I will follow up on this review later for a more thorough test of the cell capacity.

Overall conclusion:

+ There are a few minor nags with the construction of the pack, however the quality of workmanship was pretty good, and better than expected at this price point.
+ EV-Assemble is honest about the C/amp rating of the headway cells on their site, and that is very respectable.
+ The headway cells are a good upgrade from SLA or lower output lithium, but do not stack up to the more powerful stuff, however they are a very safe and cost conscious choice, especially at the asking price.
+ The kingpower charger seems pretty decent. The adjustable voltage is a big plus.

I give the EV-Assemble pack a an 8 out of 10 rating. A manual and some minor changes to construction would bring this pack up to a 9 or 10.

I give the headway cells a 7 out of 10.

+ The positives here are that these cells are cheap, have a higher than average discharge rating, and long cycle life. A pack of these will do what a ping pack cannot do. These are ideal for applications where weight and size requirements are relaxed.

+ The negatives are the size and weight of the cells. These headway packs are large for the watt-hours you get. I would also not consider these cells 10C constant capable per the manufacturer's specifications. Given air cooling, you could most likely reliably run these cells at 3C constant, but i would not push them up to 5C other than the occasional burst of amps.

Droooooooooool.....

I still like Headway batts :) I am wondering how much of the voltage sag and C rating were related to the BMS.

Good question.
After 30 minutes of 2C constant, i pulled the pack apart and measured the temperature of the BMS, discharge wiring, and connectors. Nothing was above room temperature, other than the cells.

I do believe the voltage sag corresponds to the C rating.
Strangely enough, the voltage sag got less extreme as i went into the middle of the charge; ~4v of sag rather than 4.5v at a 3C rate.

At 2C, it had about ~3 volts of sag.

I cannot imagine how bad a ping or other 1C rated chemistry would sag at 3C.
I have seen a 20ah ping sag 3 volts at a < 1C load before.

For the record i believe that all lithium batteries should be ran below their rated discharge. I do not run my 20C lipos at over 8C constant because they get warm-hot as well. Heat destroys stuff.

Good review. Glad you got your pack :D

One small tidbit - Doc noticed an increase in performance after a few cycles with headway and a123. It seems just shaking the dust off them after sitting for so long, or perhaps using up the stabilizers they put in the cells to keep them fresh longer has a positive effect.

I'd be curious of the difference in performance after a dozen cycles or so.

I have seen a 20ah ping sag 3 volts at a < 1C load before.

No you haven't. Ping isn't too much worse. Depending on the state of charge, running at 1c will see a .5v-1v sag.

Auraslip, you and me are seeing two different things with the pings. BUT i am only going off what i saw on someone's turnigy watt meter; i did not inspect their wiring or anything else. So you win this argument until i do a proper test of a ping pack ( if ever ).

That is interesting about the headway cells. I will put some cycles on them and report back.

Thanks Neptonix, that seems like a pretty decent review.

I've been running headway and pings for a couple of years and I would tend to agree with Auraslip that they do have some kind of "run in" period.
Something to do with the cells not being balanced properly when new, I think.

Thanks for the review. I have two Headway packs from bmsbattery.com - one 9Ahr and one 16Ahr, one with a Signalab BMS I put in and one (the 16Ahr) with the bmsbattery bms. I was also a bit surprised that the voltage sag was at least as high if not higher (I think it is) than my other pack - a 16 Ahr Ping pack.
So, although it is rated at a higher C rate, and seems to "give up the amps" a bit sooner than the Ping, in terms of instantaneous power, I wouldn't say the Ping is inferior at the same C rate, in terms of voltage sag - which surprised me. I'm now thinking that the main advantage (unless you need the higher than 2C output) of the Headways is the easier maintainance of the pack, in terms of swapping out replacement cells if needed. On my bikes I rarely get to my max amps around 30, so either the Pings or Headways are a good choice. I think the Pings maybe sag a bit less, at the same amperage output (on the same sized packs)....they cost about the same as the Pings. I also like the way you can rearrange the Headway physical configuration of the pack, to create a hole on one side to seat the bms, so that it is both well ventilated and not subject to bashing as easily. I totally rearranged the 16 Ahr headway pack, as it was too long and narrow, to make it 6 and 6 and 4, with the missing two making a space for the bms, with good ventilation. It also fits better in standard sized trunk bags (with some plates for protection around all sides). I gather the evassemble bms "the red one" is a bit sketchy...is yours holding up?

Interesting info, chvid.

I wish i had a ping nearby to compare. I wonder if the difference in the cell rating is all in the amount of heat a pouch cell and cylindrical cell can dissipate due to the big air gap with cylindrical cells.

I would not expect a ping to do 2C or 3C continuous for very long considering the heat generated. The cells in the center would be smoldering.

I totally agree about the big cell format; i would hate to do surgery or diagnosis on a ping. I have done that on 5S RC lipos and that was bad enough.

I don't know about the BMS just yet. I need to put a few cycles on this battery. Capacitance balancing is definitely interesting though.

Excellent review, David!

Very thorough. Lot's of hard data. And good conclusion and a fair rating.

One question... You never mentioned the actual physical dimensions of the 12AH 36V. What are the overall dimensions, in it's protective outer shell, which I assume the BMS resides under with the cells?

Thanks.

EDIT: In post 1, you state that they sent you a 16AH 36V at first. Further down it becomes a 12AH. Which was it?

Great review!

I've seen bad reports in the past with those switched capacitor balancing units. Maybe they've updated the design. One of the issues was the BMS would drain the pack on standby. There might be a way to measure the standby drain of the BMS. If you don't let the pack sit around for long periods of time without charging, it wouldn't be an issue. If you plan to do an extended storage (like winter), it would be a good idea to completely disconnect the BMS or charge the pack every month or so.

Nep, I have a question. What’s that black shit on your finger? Just joking.

Thanks for the review, especially the Kingpower charger

floont: thanks for pointing out that error, it is indeed a 12ah pack.
dimensions are 7in long x 5in wide x 7.5in tall. Will update the main thread with that info when i have more data on the pack.

Fechter: that wouldn't surprise me if it had the 1 cell drain issue. You know what i will do.. i'll let the pack sit for a month and check it's per cell voltage and follow up to see if that is an issue with these BMSes.

JohnC: lol, that's the headset of my bike. I just noticed that too. Looks like some serious KFF..

OK guys, i have more tests to do, and will follow up on this review later in the main thread.
If you can think of other tests needed to be done, let me know.. so far, i will do the following tests:

1) voltage sag test at 3C and 2C ( auraslip and another member mentioned that these cells 'wake up' after a few cycles ) after 10 cycles.

2) BMS cell drain test; let it sit for a month and see if any cells are drained significantly.

3) Full discharge test down to LVC; will use the celllog's to monitor the cell voltages.

cool, im now more keen on making headways my second batt pack, though i will be aiming at 24v 32ah or 2 24v16a packs that i can use together or individually, the big choice now is do i make my first build or buy it built.

the charger looks the same as what my ping uses, and according to Li it is adjustable.

The bms drain would go way if they simply put an off on switch on the single negative connection. All the others connect to the positive ends.

My headway cell's, did perk up after 10 cycles or so. How ever I can't confirm. due to overcharge failure's as of late. I hope they recover its been fun

OK guys, i mentioned that i'd do a BMS drain test in a month. Well i figured, why not do 2 months!?

Total difference between voltage of each cell was 6mV at most
Using the CellLog 8s to measure cells 1-8 and 4-12 provided these results ----v

evassemble2months.jpg

These cells are in perfect balance! i'm really impressed! I think they are actually in better balance than my CellLog thinks they are :) ( wish i had a better multimeter right now )

Now if i can get them to make some lithium ion-voltage versions of this BMS.... then i can do some real tests.

neptronix said:
These cells are in perfect balance! i'm really impressed! I think they are actually in better balance than my CellLog thinks they are :)

Hi Nep!

I've been running a 4sx2p 38120p 8amp/h pack in my motorcycle(Honda VTX1800C) for 3 months. Pack still in balance :)

I've purchased a bunch of the New Headway 38120HP 8amp/h cells. I've been testing them with a constant 850watt resistance load.
Yes, a constant 70-75amps at 12.8volts.

My first pack 4s x 4p 32amp/h Lasted 26 minutes. Even though the resting voltage of the pack was 13.6v, a 2.2C discharge dropped the pack down
to 12.6v and did most of it's work between 12.6v-12.3v before dropping off.

I cut the pack in half 4s x2p and it Lasted 12 minutes. Again pack was 13.6v, a 4.5C discharge dropped the pack down
to 12.2v and did most of it's work between 12.2v-12.0v before dropping off.

At 1C each cell consistently work around 3.2v
At 2C each cell consistently work around 3.15v
at 4.5C each cell consistently work around 3.05v

I believe that the voltage sag that people are referring to is being mistaking for what the battery chemistry is doing.
Confusing charge voltage of 3.65v per cell hot off the charger and what the cell does while working.

My finding are :
3.6v hot off charger
3.4v resting
3.2v @ 1.1C discharge
3.15v @ 2.2C discharge
3.05v @ 4.5C discharge

If you would like to use Headway Cells and have a preferred voltage to operate under load, then one might investigate, observe and take notes :)
I will not use Lead Acid in my Honda VTX 1800C ever again. The 4s x 2P spins my starter motor faster and I like that :)
During my tests, I pulled some serious Watts from these cells. A 50amp/h rated AGM deep cycle cannot keep up at 0.75C or 1.5C. For higher continuous discharge, Lithium something is the obvious choice.

Thank you for your report.

Lifepo4 definitely has a different voltage sag mechanic than other types of cells. What i noticed is that no matter where the battery was, in terms of voltage / SOC, the voltage that the battery dropped to was about the same, except the tail end of the charge, the voltage at load would start to fall off a cliff.

But it's sag nonetheless, even if the mechanic is a bit different. It's still dropping voltage and creating tons of waste heat - i could have probably used my cells to cook someone a nice breakfast after i was done testing them at an average of 2C load.

Your results were *far* better than mine, and i think the reason is that you used the 8 amp hour "power" cells which have a higher discharge rating.

I do believe that the discharge ratings for these headway cells are all over the board and overblown significantly. One vendor will say that these particular 12AH cells are 3C-5C, another will say that they're 5C-10C.

Well, you have to disconnect the BMS to plug in a cell_log .. so.. :)

Back