Extension for BBS02 speedo cable?

ediehl

1 mW
With the motor positioned just in front of the front wheel on my recumbent, I barely have enough length to mount to speedo sensor on the front wheel, and it's hard to keep the wire from getting hung on something as the wheel turns side to side. I'd really like to run the speedo off the rear wheel. Does anyone know if anybody sells a plug-and-play cable that would extend the speedo sensor length?

Has anyone tried to make an extension by soldering in a length of wire? I have some soldering skills and am fairly handy. The vendors above are charging $20 for first class mail/slow boat from there locations outside the US. Not finding a similar cable anywhere inside the US.

I would recommend buying the extension cable. It's only 12" long, but allows you to then cut the extension in half and solder on some CAT5 or other "speaker" wires to lengthen it. And then you are not cutting the cable from the motor or the sensor.

bikezen said:
Has anyone tried to make an extension by soldering in a length of wire?
Guess I should have specified that when I spliced the wires, I did indeed use solder.
bikezen said:
The vendors above are charging $20 for first class mail/slow boat from there locations outside the US. Not finding a similar cable anywhere inside the US.
I imagine the folks at Lectric Cycles will be as astonished as I was to learn that Arizona is no longer part of the US. I bet you can still get them to ship it on something other than a boat, though.

I considered cutting it to solder in an extension, but I was concerned that the internal wires might not be individually sheathed but instead contained in a single sheath with 3 channels, which would make keeping them out of contact difficult. Anybody know if they're individually insulated?

ediehl said:
I considered cutting it to solder in an extension, but I was concerned that the internal wires might not be individually sheathed but instead contained in a single sheath with 3 channels, which would make keeping them out of contact difficult. Anybody know if they're individually insulated?
They are individually insulated. Very straightforward job if you have some 3-conductor cable handy.

I just ordered a couple extensions from EM3EV, and so I guess I'll be patient and perform my lengthening surgery on one of those.

Back