Ezee 400 watt Rear Geared Motor vs Competition

IIIHorseman

100 mW
I am thinking about getting an Ezee rear geared upgrade kit, but wanted to know the difference between the Ezee and other ones out there on the market.

My friend has an Ezee bike that was purchased as a premade bike. His motor specs show that it is a 350 Watt motor but the ebikes.ca website it shows that it is 400Watt? Is this a never version or exactly the same motor?

http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_ezee.php

I wanted to know how their kit differs from the following:

-500 Watt Mac Motor versions,
-BMC Motors
-MXUS 350Watt motors (same as ampedbikes.com)
-Bionx Motor version(s) 350, 500W
+Warranty of Ezee

500/1000 Watt MAC is the same as the BMC stuff and can handle pretty damn good power, i run peak 2500w, 1500-2000w constant on mine and it's quite powerful.. and all of 1-2lb heavier than the ezee.

The MXUS motor is light but less powerful than the eZee.. i don't recommend it unless you're OK with a weaker level of power. Definitely sucks on hills. It's light, but doesn't really have any extra power potential.. and no replaceable parts..

Bionx - not particularly powerful.. mind blowingly expensive.. not worth it AT ALL..

eZee warranty, don't know.

IIIHorseman said:
Wanted to know how their kit differs from the following:

-500 Watt Mac Motor versions,
-BMC Motors
-MXUS 350Watt motors (same as ampedbikes.com)
-Bionx Motor version(s) 350, 500W
+Warranty of Ezee

I have both an eZee and a BMC V4C [ both rear 26" ] and am pleased with both. Both purchased in the last year.

The eZee from Grin Cyclery.

The BMC from Ilia Brouk [ Ebikes SF ].

Each is operated at 48V20A.

The efficiency of each being awesome!

Two 48V20Ah [ Li-Ion NiCoMn ] batteries from BMSBATTERY takes me 200 kms on average. Most of the distance covered being a matter of system only i.e., no pedalling.

As I start out I generally pedal lightly at average speeds in the 20 km/h area and by the time I'm headed back home I'm often at WOT for several dozen kms.

The composite gear material of the BMC is definitely noisier than the nylon of the eZee but the BMC is also faster with greater acceleration and torque [ both low-end and top-end ].

WOT under ideal riding conditions sans pedalling...

eZee : 40 km/h

BMC : 48 km/h

Hope this helps.

I have no personal experience with MAC and thus the reason why no earlier reply.

I thought an experienced other/others would reply.

Here's where I sourced my BMC...

[ http://ebikessf.com/ ]

Ilia Brouk being the owner/operator.

Very professional. Very helpful.

Chat with him via e-mail and you'll get your answers...

[ ibrouk (at) hotmail.com ]

There are three BMC versions…

V4T [ Torque ]
V4C [ Cruise ]
V4S [Speed ]

Additionally, read this thread…

[ http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22103&p=332890#p332890 ]

All the best.

That above thread is rather dated. BMC has upgraded and MAC has upgraded their motors respectively since then.

So how about an update?

BMC clutches no longer separate. I don't think the MAC clutches ever did.
BMC got a stronger gear material, then made the gears wider. MAC did the same, the gray gears have been in the motors since mid 2011.
BMC has a stronger clutch. MAC motors will receive the stronger clutch very soon, if they have not already.
BMC has bigger phase wires and an improved stator, but no efficiency gain is noted yet. MAC is getting the same treatment - not sure if it will produce an efficiency gain either.

Whatever BMC has, MAC tends to get a few months later.

Both motors have kinda been pushed to their limits by now and basically the gear reduction bits should be rock reliable on both motors now. The power limit is the copper and magnets now.

Weight is within .1-.2 kg of each other.

It's funny because there has been kind of an arms race between the two companies.

And the controller issues were sorted a while back but there are dozens of threads talking about how hard it was to control the motors.

The crystalyte analog controllers have always been good. BMC put out a modified infineon style controller at one point, but i'm not sure how good it was.. now cell_man has some infineon controllers that are modified for these hi-rpm, low resistance motors that provides a smooth throttle response ( finally, after years of dealing with crap controllers!!! ) .. which is great because neither the crystalyte analog or BMC controllers were programmable.

BMC was going to put out a direct drive motor at one time, but apparently that fell through.
A double wide stator version of the MAC has been teased but there is no release date.

That's everything i know in a nutshell.. maybe more like a coconut shell..

+1 for Ilia at ebikesf for BMC! Excellent customer and warrantee support!

I'm running two BMC V2S motors and they pull like crazy - currently running 66v20Ah CA-limited to 900W. The motors are really pretty quiet at bike path speeds. Sorry - no first hand experience with other gearmotors for comparisons....

But - I believe the MAC does not have seals on the axle - BMC uses a conventional double-lipped oil seal.

+1 on Ilia great guy :D go to him for sure, please though dont post his email address in to the threads this forum is pruned by bots looking for them just put at instead of @ we dont want your email disappearing in spam at his end 8)

Back