fastest Ev discussion

ZeroEm

1 MW
Its's Christmas eve and watching ICE drag racing. My mind is racing while drinking coffee and Irish baileys.
Will get into the math later. wondering if EV's will ever contend with the top fuel drag racing. Luke has more experience than most.

Wondering if I should play with my trike trying to get the best 0-30nph times. not sure if want to do 0-60 mph times. will need to make my tike more stable at speeds above 35 mph. Like to cross the roads at times faster than expected.

This is more t theoretical, will EV take over the fastest ice?

Batteries exist now which match the kW/kg of top fuel dragsters.

If our RnD biz continues to thrive and grow in the next few years, you will get to see all Top Fuel records fall to pure EV power as a company racecar project.

Big Daddy Don Garlitz has moved to all EV-drags; I think he's down to 6.2 seconds in the quarter mile? His EV Drag car even has reverse, which is shocking for them :lol:
Lonestar EV in Texas makes motors for drags; they're all brushless DC.

Wow had no idea thought we were years away. Always felt ICE could be over taken just did not know how long.

Feel excited. Guess need to start promoting EV's more. Maybe my 2013 leaf but it needs some major aero done to it.

Thought we needed another major break thru in batteries. Maybe in aerodynamics, as we still drive bricks thru the air.

Thx for the response, used to be into ice, loved the power, have a new love. Ev's are quite and powerful. It was colder than nominal here in south Texas. Everyone grinding on the ice machine's. I just push start. Heated seats and drivers wheel. Just love it. Everyone showing me they have power and I know they don't with one of the weakest Ev's on the road.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
Big Daddy Don Garlitz has moved to all EV-drags; I think he's down to 6.2 seconds in the quarter mile? His EV Drag car even has reverse, which is shocking for them :lol:

You won't take any top fuel records using off the shelf EV powertrain parts.

The mass of motor controller alone gets impractical using units that have cooling to be thermally stable. You have time only to coast on heat capacity.

ZeroEm said:
Wow had no idea thought we were years away. Always felt ICE could be over taken just did not know how long.

Feel excited. Guess need to start promoting EV's more. Maybe my 2013 leaf but it needs some major aero done to it.

Thought we needed another major break thru in batteries. Maybe in aerodynamics, as we still drive bricks thru the air.

Thx for the response, used to be into ice, loved the power, have a new love. Ev's are quite and powerful. It was colder than nominal here in south Texas. Everyone grinding on the ice machine's. I just push start. Heated seats and drivers wheel. Just love it. Everyone showing me they have power and I know they don't with one of the weakest Ev's on the road.

Our Plaid Model S family sedan so far is undefeated in every race with anything I've encountered. Sportbikes, hotrods and supercars of all types have fallen prey, however one modded awd lambo stayed beside it for a second or so before it shifted and fell back and eventually became quiet behind me. Respect to their tire combo and launch control setup for an ICE to only lose slowly for a moment while racing a Plaid.

ZeroEm said:
wondering if EV's will ever contend with the top fuel drag racing.

There is the NEDRA, you know?

Might be a good place to start.

http://www.nedra.com/

https://www.facebook.com/NEDRAPR

https://www.facebook.com/groups/national.electric.dragracing.association

by DogDipstick » Dec 25 2022 12:23pm

ZeroEm wrote: ↑Dec 24 2022 6:06pm
wondering if EV's will ever contend with the top fuel drag racing.
There is the NEDRA, you know?

Might be a good place to start.

Have NEDRA book marked some where. Have not read up in a while. Still short a 100 mph. When EV's surpass ICE, might be a major change in the public view.

by liveforphysics » Dec 24 2022 8:13pm

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING wrote: ↑Dec 24 2022 6:11pm

You won't take any top fuel records using off the shelf EV powertrain parts.

The mass of motor controller alone gets impractical using units that have cooling to be thermally stable. You have time only to coast on heat capacity.

Thank you for your input. For racing we need more custom parts builders to explore what is possible. Dry Ice packed controllers maybe. Start working on lowering the resistance of everything. This was useful gives me more to think about.

I haven't been more entertained for a long while, watching Tesla Plaid spank one fancy super car after another. Watching all these 'hot wheels' looking finned,scooped,star wars fighter looking, show off cars get left behind by a 5000lb 5 passenger sedan is something to see. One car reviewer was commenting that it needs more of that boy racer / tuner stuff on it. What the F for ?
I would add a baby seat in the passenger seat, a 'baby on board sticker', and whatnot to make it even more satisfying to run some million dollar+ I.C.E jollapy . Bravo.

Back