Fat Tire E bike Conversion

Joecool

1 W
I just finished my first e bike build using a 48V 1500W rear hub. Im 6'4'', weigh 205 pounds and it will pull me up some big hills off road and on. However, I want more power. Something in the 3-5kw should do the trick. Have anyone of you guys used a fat tire bike for an e bike? I dont care if the brand is mongoose, huffy, etc. Ive always wanted a Fat bike just because they look cool. Ive also heard that the fat tires like a mid fat 3.0 or a fat fat tire at 4.0 really take the vibrations and bumps better than a full suspension mountain bike off road and on road. Whether the diameter of the tire is 20 inch or all the way up to 29 inch, Im curious for your guys input on this.

One of the main deals about a fat bike is finding the motor with long enough axles. Once you pick your frame, you then need a motor with axles long enough to fit the frame, including nut and torque arms.

They do make them, obviously, tons of hub motorized fat bikes out there. Your motor may fit some of the skinnier tire frames out there too. I believe your motor would easily fit a mid fat frame.

Other than that, no particular reason not to motorize a fat bike. However, dont expect a tire with less than 10 psi to go fast, safely. For a motorcycle like ride, you need the high end full suspension MTB. I would agree a fat bike may ride off road as good as a shit frame mtb.

I built a BBSHD fat-tire (4.7 x 26) bike and it's been great - 3500mi at this point. 12 x 197mm rear dropout (hard tail) and 120mm Bluto up front.

I have an 11sp, usually 11-46t steel cassette and a 42t chainring (I have also run 11-42t x 39t). It will climb anything I've got the juevos to climb, no issues with grade. I've not found top speed but have gotten ~35mph with a 39t chainring so plenty fast.

i-9h2V8mv-L.jpg

My Mxus 3000w V2 4T powered Fatbike is a blast, and it is just comfortable, effortless performance with bulletproof reliability.
I bought the Mxus laced into an exact replica of my OEM Fatbike rear wheel, with a Custom 190mm axle, accepting a 10 speed freewheel to match the bikes standard Shimano Deore derailleurs, plus all ancillary electrics, controller etc from ChangZhou SuRing Motor Technology Company Ltd via Aliexpress.
An excellent bike for reliable and everyday use on any surface you like. I have just replaced the factory fitted Chaoyang 26x4.9 Big Daddy tyres after 3000kms with a set of Chaoyang 26x4.0 Sandstorm tyres, which work really well for the mainly gravel and sandy trails I ride on, plus road riding. They are much quieter and smoother riding, and you can tell there is a lot less rolling resistance!
I have recently fitted a Suntour NCX Suspension seatpost, and along with the excellent Kootok sprung saddle, the ride is incredibly plush making this a great bike for the longest rides.
I highly recommend going the Fatbike route!
IMG_20170425_113914_20170425114808807.jpg
IMG_20170303_143156(0).jpg
ae_1494751994714.jpg

Johne-bike said:
My Mxus 3000w V2 4T powered Fatbike is a blast, and it is just comfortable, effortless performance with bulletproof reliability.
I bought the Mxus laced into an exact replica of my OEM Fatbike rear wheel, with a Custom 190mm axle, accepting a 10 speed freewheel to match the bikes standard Shimano Deore derailleurs, plus all ancillary electrics, controller etc from ChangZhou SuRing Motor Technology Company Ltd via Aliexpress.
An excellent bike for reliable and everyday use on any surface you like. I have just replaced the factory fitted Chaoyang 26x4.9 Big Daddy tyres after 3000kms with a set of Chaoyang 26x4.0 Sandstorm tyres, which work really well for the mainly gravel and sandy trails I ride on, plus road riding. They are much quieter and smoother riding, and you can tell there is a lot less rolling resistance!
I have recently fitted a Suntour NCX Suspension seatpost, and along with the excellent Kootok sprung saddle, the ride is incredibly plush making this a great bike for the longest rides.
I highly recommend going the Fatbike route!
IMG_20170425_113914_20170425114808807.jpg
IMG_20170303_143156(0).jpg
ae_1494751994714.jpg

Thanks for the advice. How many mm are the dropouts of your fatbike and how long are the rear hub motors axle? My Mongoose Dolomite rear drop outs are 190.5mm. I cant seem to find a rear hub motor that has long enough axles? I cant seem to find The Mxus rear hub that you have locally or in the USA. Ive never used Alibaba express before so Im a little leary on it.

surly ICT 132mm BB / 150x15 front axle, 197x12 rear axle...any chance to fit motor?? any advice greatly appreciated...Johne-bike do you think I can use your setup???

fat tires less efficient of course

severe depends on perspective

mid drive for noticeable incline efficiency

often simple install bbshd 100 120

transposon said:
Wouldn't going with such wide tires severely reduce your battery use efficiency (Wh/mi)?

It depends on the tires. But those Chao Yang knobbies, yes they'll waste some juice. Vee Apache Fatty Slick, Arisun Big Smoothy, Origin8 Supercell, or Surly Black Floyd would not be too bad.

Looking at it another way, electric assist is how people get to ride fatbikes without paying a demoralizing price in added pedal effort.

Lots of people overinflate fat tires, losing much of the benefit, because it is hard to pedal a tire with less than 10 psi in it.

It might be the thing to do to overinflate, if you ride dry pavement with a fat bike. But unless just going to the sand or the snow, why do that?

dogman dan said:
Lots of people overinflate fat tires, losing much of the benefit, because it is hard to pedal a tire with less than 10 psi in it.

Another reason to overinflate is because most fatbike tires steer poorly at low pressures. I used to ride a bike with 26x3.5" tires, but I switched it to 29" because the bike was slow and hard to maneuver unless I pumped the tires up to the point that they didn't ride any better than MTB tires.

Fatbikes are specialized machines for dealing with snow, sand, soft ground, or a need for attention. Their benefits are mostly lost on pavement, except in the case of attention seeking.

balmorhea doesn’t know whats ridden for attention

obvious why the post was made

therapy helps

Surly Black Floyed 3.8 on My E-Cruiser doesnt have much rolling resistance on asphalt it's actually quite nice. Can get it up to 45 mph on a flat road. I just like the comfort of cruisers. Most fat tire hub motors 1500w to 8000w have 175mm drop outs hard to find a frame, anything over 1500w will be 150mm drop out. Been wating to build a 3000w Ruff cycles Basman frame but all their rear dop outs are only 135mm would have to go mid drive :(

FarmerFpv said:
Been wating to build a 3000w Ruff cycles Basman frame but all their rear dop outs are only 135mm would have to go mid drive :(

If it's a steel frame you can widen the dropouts.

Balmorhea said:
dogman dan said:

Another reason to overinflate is because most fatbike tires steer poorly at low pressures. I used to ride a bike with 26x3.5" tires, but I switched it to 29" because the bike was slow and hard to maneuver unless I pumped the tires up to the point that they didn't ride any better than MTB tires.

Fatbikes are specialized machines for dealing with snow, sand, soft ground, or a need for attention. Their benefits are mostly lost on pavement, except in the case of attention seeking.

Attention seeking? Are you just one of those people that always sits on the sideline judging people for your own personal emotional gains or is it jealousy driven?

The original post said he wants a fat bike because they look cool. That's what led to the comment.

I'm so close to the Mexican border, cool tends to vanish pretty quick if you park it anywhere for long.

Back