Fork dropout and front axle question. Pic!

Danschutz

10 W
Wyoming. We have at least 6 months of winter follo
The circled portion measures .433 inches and the axle measures .382
I imagine that's a lot of slop for the axle to move around. I have one torque arm, would the addition of a second t.a. Fix this issue?

I figured I needed to file the dropouts a little bit, at its thinnest it measured .332 and needs to be filed out to .382 is that to much to take off?

Thanks!
Dan l.

What type of torque arm do you have? Link or pics would be helpful, but yeah its a little odd that the fork came like that with like a hole drilled through after the dropout.

Ugrd said:
What type of torque arm do you have? Link or pics would be helpful, but yeah its a little odd that the fork came like that with like a hole drilled through after the dropout.

On each side of the original axle there is a little round "washer". Place the wheel in the dropout slide those washers onto the axle and they fit nice and snug into the wider portion of the fork.

Pic of the torque arm.

Ypedal said:
How much power you intend to push ?

No more than 1200 watts.

Thanks guys,
Dan L.

Step one is some kind of C washer to fill that dish in the dropout. Then one or two TA's depending on their quality. Two if they are thin metal cheapies.

Two of what I see in the picture.

Danschutz said:
Ugrd said:

On each side of the original axle there is a little round "washer". Place the wheel in the dropout slide those washers onto the axle and they fit nice and snug into the wider portion of the fork.

Pic of the torque arm.

Ypedal said:
How much power you intend to push ?

No more than 1200 watts.

Thanks guys,
Dan L.

What is that torque arm made from- it looks like aluminium?
How thick is the metal- it looks quite thin?

Dogman, thanks again for the advice. I've decided and ordered a moly fork and avid single 5 brake system. The bike may suffer from a death wobble, I won't know until it's all together but I reckon that even if I'm forced to order the wife a rear wheel the upgrade in her front brake is still a plus.

Oh. I decided to go to my local bike shop, high end place with a lot of mechanics. Anyways come to find out the guy that was helping me builds the wheels there and we used to race cars in the same club back in the day. Said he would lace my wheels for 30 bucks so now I'll order a motor and lace it into a 24 inch rim of my choice without going over budget.

Al,
The t.a. Looks steel but I need to check it for sure. The fork is SO thin one of a few reasons I decided to order that fork.
I wish I had more than an hour and a half a week to work on the thing! But we just started getting warm enough weather to catch up on what winter has destroyed lol.

Danschutz said:
Dogman, thanks again for the advice. I've decided and ordered a moly fork and avid single 5 brake system. The bike may suffer from a death wobble, I won't know until it's all together but I reckon that even if I'm forced to order the wife a rear wheel the upgrade in her front brake is still a plus.

Oh. I decided to go to my local bike shop, high end place with a lot of mechanics. Anyways come to find out the guy that was helping me builds the wheels there and we used to race cars in the same club back in the day. Said he would lace my wheels for 30 bucks so now I'll order a motor and lace it into a 24 inch rim of my choice without going over budget.

Al,
The t.a. Looks steel but I need to check it for sure. The fork is SO thin one of a few reasons I decided to order that fork.
I wish I had more than an hour and a half a week to work on the thing! But we just started getting warm enough weather to catch up on what winter has destroyed lol.

I meant how thick is the torque arm, it looks quite thin in the picture. Too thin and it could either cut into the axle if hard enough or wear/fail. It looks like there's room to fit 2 or 3 stacked to increase thickness if needed- and they're not aluminium.

Back