Found adjustable CCCV charger

Charger never shuts of, only thing shuts of is ventilator and red LED (at some point ~0.3A), current still flowing till CV limit. Think the led color change (to green) is for user know it is charged (or almost).
Aura, you are cool, look at your LED tread, have some comm.. :)

Yeah, LEDS in a hub motor is retarded. I made that thread after seeing the new tron movie.

I just checked on when the charger should shut down. Typically at 20/C at the CV point. Usually by the time you get to the CV point current drops to nearly nothing anyways.

Anybody know what the switch on the 900W version does? There is a power switch on the back that's obvious but the switch on the front I'm not sure what it does. All I know is I managed to stupidly break it while opening the case to find the pots. I didn't even get a chance to turn it on for the first time :p

I have had one of these too for some months and have used the voltage adjustment to optimize the volts for my pack depending on the need.

Only today found this post, so:

The middle adjustment you say is charge current ?

And the third is for ?

PetriK said:
I have had one of these too for some months and have used the voltage adjustment to optimize the volts for my pack depending on the need.

Only today found this post, so:

The middle adjustment you say is charge current ?

And the third is for ?

I have not seen any change by manipulating 3rd pot, in loaded and unloaded state. Maybe it is just to set point of red led and ventilator go off and green led=charged indication goes on.
I also tried 1 charge cycle at 4A, transformer gets to 80+C, housing goes to 50C and it starts to stink a little. I think 3.6A is kind of reasonable limit at 50V.

I'm looking at a similar charger at http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-she...ifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.html
My 30s3p pack of Lipo calculates out to 111volts at the flat 3.7v part of the battery curve, but when I charge them I need to go to 4.15v per cell which calculates out to be 125volts for the charger.

I'm curious if the trim pots in the charger has enough range up or down from their nominal voltage to get me to the voltage I need. Or will they just send me a charger that puts out 125VDC. Also, I have this fear of over-charging them accidentally if it trickles current after they've reached the set point voltage.

Also, the shipping is almost as much as the product!

Floont said:

I'm looking at a similar charger at http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-she...ifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.html
My 30s3p pack of Lipo calculates out to 111volts at the flat 3.7v part of the battery curve, but when I charge them I need to go to 4.15v per cell which calculates out to be 125volts for the charger.

I'm curious if the trim pots in the charger has enough range up or down from their nominal voltage to get me to the voltage I need. Or will they just send me a charger that puts out 125VDC. Also, I have this fear of over-charging them accidentally if it trickles current after they've reached the set point voltage.

my trim pot managed to go from 48.52 V to 63V (I did not tried more because of caps limit). It was as requested preset to 50.4V.
BMS battery has very rare shipping policy and time and offer to change shipping method or paying more after 1 week after order just killed me. :) Have 10 more of this chargers on the way, not from BMS.

parabellum said:
Floont said:

my trim pot managed to go from 48.52 V to 63V (I did not tried more because of caps limit). It was as requested preset to 50.4V.
BMS battery has very rare shipping policy and time and offer to change shipping method or paying more after 1 week after order just killed me. :) Have 10 more of this chargers on the way, not from BMS.
Can I get an identical charger as the one above from another source without buying 10?

Floont said:
Can I get an identical charger as the one above from another source without buying 10?

I got all my packages from BMSbat at the end so do not worry, but http://www.elifebike.com stuff came to my door before BMS has even managed to send my order (ordered on same day).
Steven Deng is also very responsive, answering very quickly, if you have some questions. He also seams to understand English. :D

parabellum said:
...He also seems to understand English. :D
That's the biggest I have with dealing with Hobbyking, alibaba, and others. They speak a form of English, but I'm unsure if they really understand me or if I am understanding them. That's why I like it when there are people like Ed Lyen around. He speaks English perfectly and Chinese.

Back on topic: I'll likely give it another couple of days to see if there are any other comments before I purchase that charger from BMS. Thanks for your insight!
:)

parabellum said:
Floont, how many W are you looking for?
I was looking at 900W, but that is probably too low for a 30s3p LiPo pack.

I have changed the cart on BMSbattery.com to a 2000W 125VDC charger, so I can get a 10amp charge.

I don't want to spend my waking hours waiting on LiPo batteries to charge.

Floont said:

I have changed the cart on BMSbattery.com to a 2000W 125VDC charger, so I can get a 10amp charge.

You know, your 120V sockets are 1650W max and it seems not to be underrated. I have successfully melted 2 sockets at home by connecting portable Air Conditioner 1600W rated. :)

parabellum said:
Floont said:
You know, your 120V sockets are 1650W max and it seems not to be underrated. I have successfully melted 2 sockets at home by connecting portable Air Conditioner 1600W rated. :)
Yep, that's why I my garage sockets are on 20amp circuits. :mrgreen:

That's a kind warning, though. A lot of people don't stop to think of the power that is being used to charge the batteries. The shorter the charge time, the higher the wattage, the higher the amps, and pretty soon we have a breaker trip, melted socket, or worse.

Hillhater said:
Yes, beware.. its not just the breaker rating that needs attention, putting high amperage through domestic wiring and outlets for extended periods can result in overheated wiring, sockets contacts etc.. Take care !
Allow me to clarify... My garage receptacles and breakers and wiring were all designed and installed and tested for a higher current rating.

I just received 3 chargers (2x 240w & 1x 600w, all set to requested voltages) + some odds and ends that I ordered from bmsbattery.com. Less than 2 weeks, between ordering and receiving. Can't complain. Much quicker and less painful than ordering from them a couple of years ago.

Now I just have to see if I can make my 600w adjustable with all the mods posted. :D

- Adrian

I thought more about this and decided to go with the 1500W from: http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-shell/163-alloy-shell-1500w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.html
Safety first. Never can tell if one day I'll plug it into the wrong circuit. My toaster draws 1500W, so I should be good.

Floont said:

I thought more about this and decided to go with the 1500W from: http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-shell/163-alloy-shell-1500w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.html
Safety first. Never can tell if one day I'll plug it into the wrong circuit. My toaster draws 1500W, so I should be good.

Never can tell if one day you just plug it in neighbors or friends or motels or gas station circuit. :D

parabellum said:
...Never can tell if one day you just plug it in neighbors or friends or motels or gas station circuit. :D
Great point!

I can pull 3KW from a wall socket easy here, my electric kettle is rated for 3KW! :twisted:

The shower circuit is rated for 30 amps @ 220 volts that's 6600 watts!

I think the main switch at the consumer unit is 63 amps, that's 13kw, that would be a very fast charger! :twisted:

The Nissan leaf pulls I believe, 3.5 kw. But afaik they are upgrading that to 6kw, can someone confirm that? I know they are supposed to be making the charger faster, though here on 220 volts that's easier?

back to the charger, how does one set these to output voltage while no battery is connected? I don't want a lipo explosion by turning the voltage too high!

Thanks

Mark

o00scorpion00o said:
I can pull 3KW from a wall socket easy here, my electric kettle is rated for 3KW! :twisted:

The shower circuit is rated for 30 amps @ 220 volts that's 6600 watts!

I think the main switch at the consumer unit is 63 amps, that's 13kw, that would be a very fast charger! :twisted:

The Nissan leaf pulls I believe, 3.5 kw. But afaik they are upgrading that to 6kw, can someone confirm that? I know they are supposed to be making the charger faster, though here on 220 volts that's easier?

back to the charger, how does one set these to output voltage while no battery is connected? I don't want a lipo explosion by turning the voltage too high!

Thanks

Mark

I think that big chargers are a little different
Look here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29096&p=419529&hilit=charger#p419529

o00scorpion00o said:
...The shower circuit is rated for 30 amps @ 220 volts that's 6600 watts!...
What the heck is a shower circuit?

Floont said:
o00scorpion00o said:
...The shower circuit is rated for 30 amps @ 220 volts that's 6600 watts!...
What the heck is a shower circuit?

The shower circuit is a separate circuit from everything else and the trip switch or rcd is rated for 45 amps so actually it's not 30 amps as in my previous post but 45 for a total of 9.9 KW!

Mark

Back