freehub cassette vs. freewheel motor

I can't imagine the chain staying on with such a wobble.
Maybe it was more like a full gear width.

Next plan is to take a sharp knife and start at the bottom and follow the thread and work my way up. Probably should buy another freewheel.
I'm afraid that all I'll accomplish is to completely destroy it.

What did you mean by '1/2 gear width'? What is the actual side-side deviation of a single point on it as it spins? I guessed you meant <1/8", which could be ok.
And will the gears or chain on the gears hit the motor or bike when they spin?
Throw a picture up if you have a cam handy- I aint no expert, and it could help us all give good advice.

WOO HOO!

I knew exactly along which plane the crossthreaded freewheel tilted. I carved out the threads with an evilly sharp kitchen knife, then I put it on leaning about one thread in the other direction like I was *trying* to crossthread it. It went on straight and now when the motor is fired up, there's no wobble.

Only thing that concerns me now is how much drag the gearless hub motor has. It feels like bad bearings. The motor powers past that drag effortlessly. I guess it's normal, perhaps it has to break in.

Time to adjust the derailleur to keep it from trying to go into the missing 8th gear.

Should I be concerned about the noise? it got into an overcurrent shutdown after about 2 miles. I'm afraid of damaging it.

Back