GNG, 1000W 48V BB-drive, $400

Love how my thread became a chain related thread lol!

Back on topic; I want to see this kit on a dh bike with a 6 fet mini monster at 25 amps. Not an older steel rigid frame.

Should do 35mph easily and be reliable.

Only two questionable items I see is their freewheel cranks(sickbikeparts look better); and the two mounts that hold it to frame.( looks like those Chinese 2 stroke motor mounts lol

Watching this topic! :)

spinningmagnets said:
Found their Ebay store:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-450W-BRUSHLESS-MID-ELECTRIC-MOTORIZED-E-BIKE-CONVERSION-KIT-NEW-CRANK-SET-/190694746581?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D200653249950%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1380233566145987562#ht_3787wt_1186

their direct store and cheaper

http://www.gngebike.com/450wbrushless.htm

Those brushless currie motors can make big power. Fechter did forced cooling on his scooter with one of those motors and it was fast!
This crank drive looks good. and buildable, upgradable. fixable I want one.

Mine is on the way! I bought an awesome DH bike for my new build on ebay and find out it has thru-axles (even though I contacted the seller and had him confirm it had standard drop-outs).... so I can't use a hub motor like i planned. This is an easy choice for me...I just hope it performs well. This bike is amazing...a FOES 2.0. I think it was $6k new..no joke. I like the idea of mid drive but don't like noise and I don't like going slow.

I might as well order another cause I'm probably going to melt it. It's cheap enough...I'll buy two! I commute 12-miles each way with my crystalyte HS 5-series hub motor at 84v40a almost everyday. I'm 6'3" 225lbs at it does 45-50mph all day. I like it.

I just got a sensorless controller from lyen...it's set up to work at 84volts off the charger. I was planning on using it on a crystalyte 408 with bad hall sensors but....I wonder if this motor would work sensorless? Id be happy to document the destruction for future reference. Not sure what I can do other than keep an eye on the cycle analyst and get an idea of what it can take. I may have to contact edward lyen...he's a genius with the infineon controllers.

Would this controller be able to handle 66.6v or three of the Zippymax lipo's in series? Sorry for the noob question. Been trolling this forum for months.. about to build a BB setup.. This seems to fit what I'm looking for.

Alternatively, would the 44.4volts from two Zippy's be lacking as it's a 48v system?

those 2 lipos will be 50v full charged.

This setup really requires amps...what will happen is once your in third gear HAULING at 30mph...you will need more amps to get into that higher speed.

Someone confirmed this is a 9ah setup, so putting a little 6fet 20 amp controller should help out ..

Haste said:
those 2 lipos will be 50v full charged.

This setup really requires amps...what will happen is once your in third gear HAULING at 30mph...you will need more amps to get into that higher speed.

Someone confirmed this is a 9ah setup, so putting a little 6fet 20 amp controller should help out ..

Ah, nice.. I did not know this about the dual 22.2v Zippy's.. Thanks for the info. I'll put the controller for this kit on my son's electric Razor MX.. ha ha, he's only 6 but should be able to handle 48v of lead acid : )

Looking forward to this build.. Seems like a pretty nice, low cost entry into mid drive for my new/used Gary Fisher Mullet.

Would two Zippy's be able to pull off 6 miles of moderate hills? Guesstamation-wise of course : )

Haste said:
Hah, welcome to the internet!
Don't think just because you started a thread means you have any control over the direction it ends up taking :lol:

AccidentalBroadcast said:
Would this controller be able to handle 66.6v or three of the Zippymax lipo's in series?

The stock controller likely has 75v mosfets and 63v caps, so no you can't run 18S (though you could run 15S at a pinch)
But as stated stepping up to a better controller (eg 6 fet 4110) will enable you to safely run 25-30 amps. Safely from a controller point of view anyway, who knows if the motor will take it!
But yes, 12S will still run it fine, and with the stock controller too. If it really is limited to 9 amps then you'll get around half an hours run time from 2 5ah 6S lipo packs in series.

Hyena said:
Haste said:
Hah, welcome to the internet!
Don't think just because you started a thread means you have any control over the direction it ends up taking :lol:

AccidentalBroadcast said:
Would this controller be able to handle 66.6v or three of the Zippymax lipo's in series?

The stock controller likely has 75v mosfets and 63v caps, so no you can't run 18S (though you could run 15S at a pinch)
But as stated stepping up to a better controller (eg 6 fet 4110) will enable you to safely run 25-30 amps. Safely from a controller point of view anyway, who knows if the motor will take it!
But yes, 12S will still run it fine, and with the stock controller too. If it really is limited to 9 amps then you'll get around half an hours run time from 2 5ah 6S lipo packs in series.

Just curious, why does it seem people are using the 5ah's more then the 8ah Zippy's? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16228 Price? Weight? The 8ah's seem like the best way to go.. Is there anything intrinsically wrong with running a 44.4v setup with 48volt motors?

by all means go for the 8ah versions...there ALWAYS sold out when I want one though lol.

Size, price, availability, what ever
The 8ah are relatively new so I've always used multiples of 5ah. Usually 10ah is a good compromise between weight and range. If I wasnt running parallel packs then yeah I'd go with the 8ahs.
My lasts build has both - 2x5ah and 1x8ah for a total of 18ah capacity.

And yeah, 45v nominal is fine in a 48v system. Just observe the usual lipo discharging rules

Hyena said:
Size, price, availability, what ever
The 8ah are relatively new so I've always used multiples of 5ah. Usually 10ah is a good compromise between weight and range. If I wasnt running parallel packs then yeah I'd go with the 8ahs.
My lasts build has both - 2x5ah and 1x8ah for a total of 18ah capacity.

And yeah, 45v nominal is fine in a 48v system. Just observe the usual lipo discharging rules

Yes, that's where the months of researching this stuff has lead me : ) Pretty exciting stuff.. I've always wanted to build an e-bike.

So a series of 2 at 8ah would = 44.4v @ 8 ah. Paralleling another two increases the AH but not the volts.. so six of those zippy's would be 24ah? That seems like potential for some nice range if I am correct..

Here is roger's ( dad's ) set up..
The only weakness was the idler set up. Dad rebuilt it with new arm and bushes... Old one bent while peddling..everything else is great... Nice torque , mid range power , and climb's steep banks ,hill etc with ease.
He is very happy with it.
Also it's got a lexan cover over the belt area , just to stop those shoe lace , over the handlebar moments. :D

Tim

null-2.jpg
null-3.jpg
null-1.jpg
null.jpg

Need video!
What's the top speed?

Looking good, got my tracking number today 1-3 weeks airmail to the UK.
What's everyone's thoughts on upgrading the controller?
Is lyens 6fet mini monster up to the job 50v at 30amp?

Welcome on this forum Timbuck! Thanks for posting the pics! Looks like a nice drive for a reasonable price. But with this config:
The motor can not be mounted on the frame, only on the BB. Maybe this is not the kind of frame you wanna use with this motor. A frame that doesn't have it's BB on the swing arm would fit. This way it wouldn't move.
Also nice to see that the motor is fastened on the BB on the left side by a lockring, that's exactly how I fastened my middrive.

Hey Timbuck, how is your pedal-rpm/cadence at full throttle if you turn your bike on the top :?: I'd like to now the KV of this motor. I've seen that the BB-chainring which is driven by the motor has maybe 42T, the one that drives the rear wheel has even less. Could you be so kind and post the teeth count and cadence to do the math ?

In the same forum, Mike wrote:
This is my first attempt at an e-bike conversion. The kit I bought is the 48V 450W mid-mount brushless version. The battery (li-ion) is an aluminum case with battery condion indicator on the back. I'd like to know more about the additional wiring harness connectors from the controller box if anyone can tell me what to attach and what the purpose of it is. The only additional thing I added was an automotive style fuse on the main power to the motor. After blowing 5 and 10 amp fuses, the one in now is 15 amp. It also will blow if I don't pedal hard enough going up hill. The first test ride (15km) went very well.

So it should have a 15-20amp controller, so the 450Watts should be output power. I guess that it can handle 1hp output.

'scribed

These things look great! I was previously thinking about a similar approach to mount a cyclone kit i.e. some sort of mount around the bottom bracket. (Their standard mounting kit is so ugly!)

Some questions and thoughts:
  • Presuming standard 68mm bottom bracket length?
  • With this format motor does the bottom bracket spindle still need to be a longer than standard one, from the pictures on their site it seems like a yes, but perhaps still not as long as is needed with a cyclone motor kit. If you can use a standard bottom bracket, there is still the question of making sure the left side of the bottom bracket cartridge has the flange on it. From what I've seen most common ones don't have a flange on the left side, but they are around.
  • I know power limits would almost certainly be with the thermal capability of the motor, but is it possible this seemingly low power rating is actually a limit of the transmission? I guess only time and experimentation will tell :)

Dean

As per the pics it comes with a new bottom bracket, cranks and chainwheel so that takes out any of the spacing guess work. You don't have to buy anything else (other than a BB removal tool if you dont have one)

As for the power limit of the transmission - unlikely, it should be able to take a heap. I would think the thermal limit of the motor/windings and the chain to the chainwheel would be the main limitations. I'm not sure how strong the supplied chain is but it could probably be upgraded. That just leaves the motor and the bikes stock drive train as a limitation.

Back