Gone with the Schwinn V1.5

Drunkskunk

100 GW
I've spent the last 6 weeks in rebuild mode on the bike, since a water incident killed the controller, a day after getting it patched back up from a road accident involving a teenager jumping in the way of my bike. So I took some time to improve things from the original build.

First off was the oil filled triple clamp headset, which is a smoother ride than the old elastomer fork, and it also lets me fit a disk brake. The fork was meant for a 26 inch wheel, but I ground out a little of the top arch and was able to fit 700c X 38C in there.
Fitting the disk brake involved building a new front wheel, which I custom built out of a Velocity Dyad Downhill racer rim laced into a Shimano quick release disk brake hub.
I also fitted a 4110 equipped 70/40 controller to replace my damaged 72/20. its a little longer, and involved reversing the feet and adding studs to the case to make it fit. But while I was at it, I made a cover for it out of the non damaged end of the original battery bag. The bag lets me hide some of the wiring a little cleaner, but It wasn't enough, and I also modded the controller, cutting 3 feet off the wires. Throw in a blue power LED for cool factor, and its ready to go.
And to keep a better eye on what I'm doing, I fitted a cycle Analyst.

Its not a totally new bike, but 50% of the components are. All thats left to do is find a 3 pole, 3 throw relay so I can switch between the 4012 and 408 remotely. But I want a single relay that can operate at either 37 or 74 volts with no changes, so i'm still looking. for now, I have to plug in the motor I want to use manually.

P1010064.jpg

P1010061.jpg

P1010066.jpg

P1010069.jpg

P1010067.jpg

Thanks!

I haven't had a chance to try it out at 40 amps yet, but my old controller was modified for 30 amps, and it worked great. Even with the large wheels, it would still pull well enough up hills. The sun sets around here before I get home, so hopefully I'll get some riding time in this weekend and see how it realy preforms.

Hi DrunkSkunk,

just wanted to add to the praise on the build, very very clean 8)
i must catch up with more info on your build as to save lots of questions - let us know how she goes!!

cheers

D

Nice rack :shock:

controller in the bag? yeah?

Yeah, the controller is in the front 4 inches of the bag.
That part is a fake bag, the bottom is cut out, and there is a metal ring welded to the rack that the sides stap onto along the bottom. The back is also not there. the bag ends where the controller mounts onto the rack, about were the guardrails for the back half of the bag begine. What doesn't show in the photos is there is a 1 inch airgap between the bags right down through the middle, and over the heatsink part of the controller.

Did that fork change the geometry much? I'm not familiar with the elastomer stuff.

I just picked up an older non-suspension schwinn hybrid, want to put a suspension 700c fork on.

vanilla ice said:
Did that fork change the geometry much? I'm not familiar with the elastomer stuff.

I just picked up an older non-suspension schwinn hybrid, want to put a suspension 700c fork on.

There's some change in the geometry. It stands up about an inch higher. doesn't realy change too much. steering feels a little weird at low speeds and a little more stable at high speeds, but not enough to matter.

Elastomer works, its not nearly as good a ride as oil filled, but its far better than a rigid.

Nice job on the schwinn.

I just picked up a cheap suntour 700 suspension fork I may put on my cheap imitation of your bike. Suntour gets nothing but trash talk from the googling I've done for reviews, but I figure since alls I need it for is potholes it should do better than rigid. Hopefully, like yours, the change won't make the handling all strange.

Quite nice indeed.

How much does it weigh?

Back