Good test of BMSBattery KU123 controller..59 amps

In regard to BMSBattery KU123 12 mosfet 48 controller, I was out triking with my nephew who recently got out of hospital and not exceptionally strong. On a steep section of hill maybe 15%, he failed to put his trike into the smallest front ring before taking on the hill, was not able to downshift under pedalling power and sustained full power on the trke for several seconds up the steepest part with no assist. I have two Pings in parallel with a diode, around 53.2 volts capable of producing up to 60 amps. The CA indicated an amp spike of 59 amps after the ride, as the max amps indicator. The controller shut down momentarily for several seconds, and he stopped on the hill. The controller resumed life shortly, and we continued on the ride with no further issues. I'm not sure if there is a built in amp limit on the controller or maybe a thermal limit, but the limit worked well without frying the controller. In retrospect I am impressed that the wattage spike to nearly 3000 watts for a very short period of time didn't fry the controller, but brought it to a graceful reboot. Which saved the ride thank heavens, as we were 15 miles from home up in a hilly area. On the other hand I blew a new controller of the same type the first time I used it, so the quality of assembly seems to be variable. But they are cheapish - 3 for a hundred dollars, to Victoria BC. Good controllers. The CA was a standalone model.

Is this typical, that controllers gracefully shut down when overamped? I was pleasantly surprised.

I know it wasn't my pack, because I have two of them in parallel. Unless both BMSes tripped, which seems unlikely.

Back