Greyp eBikes

i give up ... :roll:

Easy. Put a 20mph speed limit on bike infrastructure. When the high power ebike is traveling within -5mph of the road speed or higher, restrict the ebike to the road.

Bike infrastructure is no good above 20mph anyway. Lots of twists, broken pavements, grates, etc. It's safer on the road if you are traveling road speeds.

Nonetheless, this isn't a thread for arguing about laws, is it? can we stay on topic?

neptronix said:
can we stay on topic?

No, not when Chalo is involved anyway... :roll:

KiM

what about states where you cannot regulate you ebike? meaning even if you wanted to, you can't just walk up to powers that be and register it as motorcycle..in israel the only e-bike that's legal is one that is pedal asisst, no more then 250 watts hub motor and is limited to no more 25 kph, infact even THIS regulation was expired and now ALL ebikes are considered not legal here, and yet you wouldn't know it by the amount of ebikes the foremly legal and now not-legal and always not legal ones.

the law aside people are not suckers, when you have regulation e-bikes and non-regulated e-bikes costing more or less the same (because they essentially have the same parts), and the regulated ones simply have artificial electronic limitations, no one but the most padentic folks would buy them, it's common sense.

zombiess said:
jansevr said:
40 is a relatively low top speed considering the price and what the motor is capable of. i guess they don't want to market a bike that goes 60 for safety/possibly lawsuit reasons?

Probably more of a going over 40mph is generally not very usable other than to show off a few times. I have a bike that can go > 70mph if I run 100V vs 75V, but my average speed when riding normally is about 12mph with a max speed of <25mph because I ride it like a bicycle... unless I'm testing out a controller, then I ride like I stole it to abuse the controller I'm testing :twisted: . Even on 75V it's top speed is > 50mph and the acceleration is quite quick, but even when playing around in high power mode I don't find much of a need to go > 40mph even when mixing with traffic.

I believe the butter zone is 30-35mph for ebikes to be good modes of transport without needing to carry insane amounts of battery, otherwise might as well build a motorcycle/fast scooter, you need the better parts for safety anyways.

My Warp frame build has a targeted top speed of just over 40mph and will most likely only need to run 75V, but it will get to it's top speed fast if I want it to, 10KW-15KW setup :) Keep in mind the motor is rated for 5-6kw and that varies depending on wheel size. You can probably do +10kw all day in a 20" tire based on my experience

The only time I go 50 mph is if I'm pissed off by a motorist who's either yelled out of there window at me or some other prank by a motorist that annoyed me. Otherwise 40,s a good top speed. +1 on the bike.

wojtek said:
If you agree with the current law, what are you doing on this forum? Someone appointed you an ebike law enforcement officer here? You said once that in your opinion this bike is illegal. It is enough. Go rest. Make some pancakes :pancake: :pancake: :pancake:

To quote the owner exactly it's an "electric vehicle technology forum" It is a long way from illegal electric bikes only. You are confused.

Enjoy your pancakes.

Edit: The 250w specialized can't be sold in the UK because it is too fast. It is an odd place to release this greyp. The specialized can be sold in germany though, where is is not allowed on bike paths. It is quite easy to see what is expected of bicycles. If we flaunt the law, They will just ban everything. Having tried regulation, an all out ban is all that is left. It is already happening. So as an ebike user I don't want illegal bikes making the press. It can't be good for the industry.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/29/uk_government_says_e_bike_too_fast_for_roads/

neptronix said:
Easy. Put a 20mph speed limit on bike infrastructure. When the high power ebike is traveling within -5mph of the road speed or higher, restrict the ebike to the road.

So, can the Hayabusa use the bike lane or multi-use path as long as it stays under 20mph?

How about we just let everybody drive any vehicle in any condition wherever they want, and not make them register or insure their vehicles unless they want to? It is the same rationale I'm hearing from y'all, only applied fairly.

Back to facts: The Greyp is not a bicycle.

+3
@Chalo: Could you kindly open a new thread about the subject you are passionate about? im sure it will be very insightful and meaningful for many members here.

However putting same messages to all threads that talk about more powerful ebikes [or whatever you like to call them] is really wrong and shows lack of respect to other members [Greyp, Torque ect]

I will be soon opening a new thread with my quite powerful build and would like you to hammer it as i want to make it as good as possible. Im sure your comments will be useful on how to improve it.

bee said:
Chalo said:
Fact: It's a bicycle with a motor, aka an e-bike, aka a moped.

Oh, it's got a motor for sure. Ride one a few miles with the battery unplugged and see if you still think it's a bicycle.

Chalo said:
bee said:
Chalo said:
Fact: It's a bicycle with a motor, aka an e-bike, aka a moped.

Oh, it's got a motor for sure. Ride one a few miles with the battery unplugged and see if you still think it's a bicycle.

Totally agree with Chalo, it is an electric motorcycle. Since when did stating one's valid opinion become Trolling? This part of the forum is for electric bicycles (as titled), to me this means something you can reasonably pedal with or without using the motor. There is nothing wrong with the intense 50mph+ builds here on ES and as seen by the top manufacturer's. This issue is not mere semantics or simply an example of differing philosophies (where reasonable minds can differ), this is the quintessential issue when it comes to the future of electric bicycles on public roads. :|

Ypedal said:
it's about the rider, not the ride.. imo.

yes, a few of my bikes are 100v ev motorcycles on bicycle frames, but i ALWAYS ride them with respect, helmet, gloves, proper bike setup to handle it, follow the flow of traffic and never exceed posted speed limits.

but, some people are idiots, as pointed out above, the pocket bikes however, were unfit for human consumption on every level except a race track.....

quiet, clean, bicycle like function and form, will have a much larger tolerance level by the popo imo.

The greyp is a marvel and a top notch job imo, it will handle medium to large riders without falling apart.. looks good , to me.. i just with it was less expensive.. but that is what it is.

Is it just about the rider, or is it also about the capabilities available to the rider with these kinds of "bicycles"?

FFS, this is endless sphere not some nancy lycra riders forum. :roll:

As stated above it comes down to rider attitude and behavior. I ride my modified stealth fighter on bike paths all the time and people are rarely the wiser (if I wear a bicycle helmet, wearing a full face turns heads) In its current form it tops out at 100km/hr but do I ride past pedestrians like that ? Absolutely not, I cruise past under pedal power alone and if there's no one around then I'll give it a little nudge. While riding at a sensible speed I'm frequently overtaken by impatient lycras who proceed to weave around pedestrians and children on bikes and scooters at much higher speeds. It's infinitely more dangerous yet completely legal for dickheads on road bikes to ride like this. If my kid was riding his bike and suddenly swerved (as they do) in front of a speeding bike I'd much rather it a greyp with twin front hydraulic brakes than some feather weight road bike with rim brakes (yeah, suck it Chalo :p )

Hyena said:
FFS, this is endless sphere not some nancy lycra riders forum. :roll:

As stated above it comes down to rider attitude and behavior. I ride my modified stealth fighter on bike paths all the time and people are rarely the wiser (if I wear a bicycle helmet, wearing a full face turns heads) In its current form it tops out at 100km/hr but do I ride past pedestrians like that ? Absolutely not, I cruise past under pedal power alone and if there's no one around then I'll give it a little nudge. While riding at a sensible speed I'm frequently overtaken by impatient lycras who proceed to weave around pedestrians and children on bikes and scooters at much higher speeds. It's infinitely more dangerous yet completely legal for dickheads on road bikes to ride like this. If my kid was riding his bike and suddenly swerved (as they do) in front of a speeding bike I'd much rather it a greyp with twin front hydraulic brakes than some feather weight road bike with rim brakes (yeah, suck it Chalo :p )

Fact is, you make electric "dirt bike" motorcycles, not electric bicycles. So what? why not admit it and be proud? Anyway, no need to get your panties in a bunch. HyenaElectricMotorcycles.com :p

Hyena said:
then I'll give it a little nudge.

:twisted:

just a little one...

That's how i ride too. Along the bike path, i ride at just about the same speed as the lycra riders. Around pedestrians, real slow. I cut the motor around lycras so that they can't hear it. If anyone can see me, i'm pedaling. If i'm on a 30-40mph road with no bike lane, i consider myself a motorcycle and take the lane, using full power and following the rules of the road.

I see a high power ( >2000W ) ebike as a vehicle that can either be a bicycle or motorcycle at any given time. The greyborg ( or greyp? ) guys were thinking of this too, which is why i really like the design of this bike; the dual mode switch is very cool. If only we could get the lawmen to understand that 1 vehicle could serve 2 purposes.

But apparently that's beyond not only the lawmen, but also people who are stuck in a rigid mentality of what a vehicle is and cannot think out of the box.

I like out-of-the-box thinkers. It's why i like this forum so much and have read it every day for 3 years. Keep the cool shit coming and don't mind the hater(s) ;)

In EU, same car with same diesel engine, can have 60,75 and 90 hp.

Only different software setup.

Many guys are purchasing weakest model = cheapest insurance, and than ...

It is not about how powerfull your vehicle can, be.... it is much more about how you will use it.

If you have your vehicle registered and insured as 60 Hp and use it with 90 Hp, you will be in the very d.. sh.. in the case of accident, specialy with injured people involved.

Same logic can be used with Greyp/borg.

Go slow (bicycle mode) in the city, and unleash it in the nature (offroad).

Russia,Africa,Australia, Canada, have plenty of offroad places to use high power mode all the time.

I admit that city riding in USA or EU is not the best place for this products, but world is very big and has many different ways of using vehicles.

You have 2-3 products in one vehicle.

Legal biciycle to go to the job, and motorcycle for weekend FUN !!.

Greyp G-12 e-bike has supercar roots
Caught the announce at gizmag and caught my eye. Nice build.
According to Rimac, one charge of the 64-volt 1.3-kWh lithium iron phosphate battery should be good for a motor-power-only range of up to 120 km (74.5 miles). Recharging takes 80 minutes, from a standard outlet.
Would love more details on their LiFePO4 battery, what they're using.

Yea range estimates seem way high :roll:

Back