• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Hailong Case... TIGHT!! Aaagh!

BestBoy

10 mW
SO, Im DIY building a Hailong Dolphin case (14s4p - I think its a Dolphin) and my eBay BMS is making it soooooo tight.

The only way I can make it work is to remove the switch on the side and remove the 5V phone charge port.

1. Has anyone done this without removing anything?
2. How can that switch be safe anyway... its not an anti spark switch!?

Im thinking... block up the holes (left by the removal of switch and 5V) using Sugru and put an anti-spark LED button switch on the Controller box container. Anyone any other ideas?
Cheers!

Perhaps snap some pictures so we can get an idea of what you are doing and want to do.

BestBoy said:
SO, Im DIY building a Hailong Dolphin case (14s4p - I think its a Dolphin) and my eBay BMS is making it soooooo tight.

The only way I can make it work is to remove the switch on the side and remove the 5V phone charge port.

1. Has anyone done this without removing anything?
2. How can that switch be safe anyway... its not an anti spark switch!?

Im thinking... block up the holes (left by the removal of switch and 5V) using Sugru and put an anti-spark LED button switch on the Controller box container. Anyone any other ideas?
Cheers!

Hey,

Here ya go...

Attachments

• IMG_2107 copy.jpg
    IMG_2107 copy.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 1,812
  • IMG_2106 copy.jpg
    IMG_2106 copy.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 1,812
  • IMG_2105 copy.jpg
    IMG_2105 copy.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 1,812
  • IMG_2104 copy.jpg
    IMG_2104 copy.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 1,812
  • IMG_2103 copy.jpg
    IMG_2103 copy.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 1,812
I am having the same problem but with 14S5P. I have tried all different ways to get it all to fit and the five space savers I have came up with are:

1. Remove the outer cell holder and fix the cells together directly (you might need to buy some wraps and rewrap your cells to get rid of all the old hot glue)

2. Use the hot glue VERY carefully so as to not take up too much extra space (especially vertically)

3. Take off the heat sinks from your BMS and run your controller directly from the battery and just use the BMS for charging and balancing

4. Remove the USB port completely and use a small buck converter inside the metal "controller" housing in the base

5. Trim the switch right down and reseal it with glue :roll:

If you scrap the cell spacers make sure you do not short any of cells in series, I'm using a thicker wrap than standard to make sure this does not happen (they make little difference to the overall pack size but are much tougher).

Cool!
Thanks. Well, i got it together and took it for a test ride. All good!
I just removed the switch and the 5V. I'll sugru the holes. I've now got an anti spark switch instead of the battery switch. I dont understand the point of the switch on the Hailong.

I have the anti spark in the frame bag but Im gonna find a plastic case and put the LED button for antispark on the plastic case to continue with the 'clean' build. My 1000W 52V maxed out at 31.6 mph on 1/3 charge (ive no charger yet). I expect it to be faster with full charge.

The SW900 did not have a 60 or 72V option so its on 48V. It still works but I cant trust the battery meter. Its too simple anyway (5 blocks) I'd rather excact voltage so im on the lookout for a 1-100V 2 wire voltmeter in the UK. Aint found one yet. All 3 wire.

That switch is meant to power on/off bms, not cell voltages. So it can be small switch, because there is not hardly any current or voltage there. It is meant to connect bms on/off connector :)

I have used the same casing for a 13s5p battery. That is a full 65 18650:s.I did´nt remove anything, but I had to bend the connecton for the usb output. That pushed the batteries up otherwise. It is really tight when you are fitting thick cables insde, I put them in the bottom beside the batteries to not build anything on the hight. But i was able to fit the bms on top of the batteries. When I soldered the cables on the connections on the bottom it was really tight.

I bought this as well. Besides tight, I also found the connection to the connectors is not easy. Can you post some tips or notes on how to make good connections to those connectors ?

Cowardlyduck said:
I have plans to try and fit as much as possible into one of these. Any one reckon it would be possible to do 14s6p? Failing that maybe 15s5p? I don't need any BMS, or switch or USB, etc. and I'm not afraid to cut away some of the inside of the case if necessary. Cheers

Hailong might be too small thought. I've struggled with the bigger tiger enclosure
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=88415&hilit=empty+downtube#p1299070

Back