• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Help - controller doesn't turn on.

ladytoast

10 mW
Hi All

Firstly, I hope this is posted in the right place. I am hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

Details of my bike and components are here: http://dylanandkat.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/emtb-build-costs.html

My bike has been great since I built it, really reliable. However I came to use it this morning and when I switched it on nothing happened. Usually the cycle analyst lights up and away I go.

The battery was on charge overnight as usual and did appear to charge correctly, there was no rain the day before and it was working perfectly. I charged it using the II setting on the charger which is the max. setting, I use this around once a month.

I have put a multi meter over the battery and it shows 52V. However when I plug the battery into the controller there is no voltage showing across the battery, even when it is switched on. I'm not sure if that is important.
I have tested the controller toggle switch which appears to be good.
I tried unplugging the CA but I can't tell if the controller is "turned on" without it connected.

I'm hoping someone can point me to a good trouble shooting guide.

Cheers
Dylan

Sounds like the bms has pulled the plug.
The 52v is just a bit of leakage through the fets which are turned off. That is why it can't hold a load. Any sort of drain and the little bit of leakage is essentially mopped up.

Thanks for the reply friendly1uk

I did notice that when I plugged the charger in it sparked, which it has never done before. I did this several times and sometimes it didn't spark, and then it started working again. It does sound like the BMS doesn't it?

For the moment everything is working again, but now I can't be sure if it will fail again. Is there anyway to test the BMS?

Dylan

Another update,

I checked all of the wiring and it appears good. After doing that I connected the charger to the batter and it sparked across the connectors. I unplugged it and plugged it in again and no spark, then I tried the switch and the CA turned on. With the bike on the stand everything was working as usual. I left it on charge overnight. I tried the power switch lots of times and it turned on every time, the motor span on with the bike on the stand without any issues.

I went to use it this morning and it turned on fine, but as soon as I went to pull off with the throttle it shut down. It was as if as soon as I put load on it something shut down.

Now when I connect the charger to the battery I get sparks again, which it didn't use to do. I *there* was a noise from the controller, like a "clunk".

Back