HP 3kW PSU - charging solution

HumboldtRc said:
I wish I could find someone at HP to tell us what it is for.
The better to see you with.

auraslip said:
To bad my house doesn't have a convenient 220v plug.
Mine only has two; the stove/oven outlet, and the dryer. Niether is exactly convenient to get to, but I ended up using an old dryer plug on the Sorenson, so I could at least use it in the utility room.

You might look into the same thing.

Oh, and my guess on the port is a test plug, either data or access to all the different voltages plus ground, for a quick external test. But it could be for programming something, if there is an MCU or EEPROM in there.

HumboldtRc said:
Luke, have you figured out what you can do with this access port on the HP 3kw ps??? I don't know where I would start with that port...

268959_202093926509139_100001256001296_645995_1033404_n.jpg

Hey... it'S a 6s balance connector!!! :lol: :lol:

How about this variable power supply http://cgi.ebay.com/ASTRON-VS-50M-50-AMP-VARIABLE-DC-REGULATED-POWER-SUPPLY-/150625275195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2311f74d3b

0-15v 0-50a

in series with 12v server power supplies.

$250 for a a hell of a charger!

parabellum said:
Doctorbass said:
Hey... it'S a 6s balance connector!!! :lol: :lol:

No, you are wrong, it must be a strange 7s balance connector!! :mrgreen:

Ah 7s.. you are right!

Well... i got those $5 power supplies I ordered last week... but I haven't even opened the box yet...

my girlfriend broke up with me rather unexpectedly and one of the reasons she gave me was that I spent to much time playing with my bikes and that I was obsessed. I can't blame her for thinking that because I am, but I guess she thought I should be doing more important things like finding a job (other than going to school and mowing) and having a social life.

So I haven't really felt like doing any bike stuff.. which is stupid, but it just makes me frocking depressed to think that something I love drove someone I love away.

I'll start a new thread on them when I get around to switching them on and putting them in serial. I'll order two more and use them with 24v meanwells in parallel to make a 18s 26a charger.

Sorry to hear the bad news man. I know the feeling of being obsessed, all i think about is electric motorcycles and i hardly get my homework done.

I have also ordered 3 of those $5 supplies. I am hoping that 1 HP supply and 3 of these may get me to 90V. I am having a ton of trouble trying to use the DC/DC converter idea of Docs.

auraslip said:
my girlfriend broke up with me rather unexpectedly and one of the reasons she gave me was that I spent to much time playing with my bikes and that I was obsessed... I am, but I guess she thought I should be doing more important things like finding a job (other than going to school and mowing) and having a social life.

She was just looking for a reason; or maybe you were just trying to find a reason in something she said. Girls dump guys. That's the way it is (at least with me, anyhow).
However, you did seem to appraise yourself and identify some shortcomings. Apparently, the mowing isn't making enough money. Try expanding into your existing customer base. Find electrical things they need fixed. Do you advertise?
That's all I have going on what little info I have on you.

auraslip said:
Well... i got those $5 power supplies I ordered last week... but I haven't even opened the box yet...

my girlfriend broke up with me rather unexpectedly and one of the reasons she gave me was that I spent to much time playing with my bikes and that I was obsessed. I can't blame her for thinking that because I am, but I guess she thought I should be doing more important things like finding a job (other than going to school and mowing) and having a social life.

Dude, a girl who loves you doesnt just trip a breaker and decide she's going to dump you because you spend too much time with something else. two possibilities. Either this was building up for a while and she has been showing her frustration to you but you've been ignoring it (intentionally or not). Or this is just an excuse.

If she really was frustrated and never said a thing but just blew up and left, then thats a good thing. Because a person who has zero communication skills like that would have left u for some other reason that was bothering her and building up.

I have an example like this. An ex wanted time off from me so she can concentrate on her school. So we didnt talk for 3 months. basically we broke up. Next thing i know shes dating some other guy....yea...school huh?

Malcolm said:
Nuts&Volts said:
I am having a ton of trouble trying to use the DC/DC converter idea of Docs.
I'm starting to put together the same sort of system. What sort of problems are you having?

Malcolm see this thread http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29024&start=15

Thanks guys ~~~

If she really was frustrated and never said a thing but just blew up and left, then thats a good thing. Because a person who has zero communication skills like that would have left u for some other reason that was bothering her and building up.

That's her biggest problem. She's too afraid to say something. She did the same thing with a co-worker she didn't like. She just let it build up into white hot hate. Communication should be the heart of a relationship. If you want me to clean the bathroom, get a hair cut, or get a part time job so we can go out more often, frocking tell me. I won't be offended. And don't mention it in passing either. Make it god damn clear. It's just so senseless though. We had some good times, and to think they're all gone just because we couldn't communicate what we wanted and expected. Senseless. It's all for the best though. Her mom is the same way. 50 years old, a jobless house wife who just lays around the house all day watching soap operas and being depressed. I don't want to be married to that, and I don't want to be with some one who is too much of a coward, or to lazy, or doesn't care enough to do and say what needs to be done and said. That can never end well.

I guess the lesson learned here is to ask more questions, and to pay attention. Also, if you don't have money, girls won't stick around. Sounds shallow, but it's true.

auraslip said:
Also, if you don't have money, girls won't stick around. Sounds shallow, but it's true.
True, so far as I can tell. And ambition...if you have no ambition to become something more than you are (regardless of whatever you are at the time), you must be a loser and thus undesirable.

It's probably not universal, but it certainly is commonplace.

I've only ever met two people I'd want to settle down with, and one of them was pretty interested, but married (unhappily but not wanting to break it off), and even after she divorced didn't want to move or to have me move there. I'm not worried about it, though--if someone actually wants me around, they'll let me know about it in no uncertain terms; I just have to hope I'll want them around, too. ;)

True, so far as I can tell. And ambition...if you have no ambition to become something more than you are (regardless of whatever you are at the time), you must be a loser and thus undesirable.

So true..... the thing is I do have ambition. I'm obsessed with ebikes and I am going to school for it. I guess she just thinks its a hobby. I've told her my plans to start importing and selling stuff in the fall with my massive amounts of student loans I'll be getting. Sure I'm a bit lazy at times. I guess we all need a michelle obama to motivate us and push us to exceed our goals. A Funny thing is she graduates this year with a general degree with a minor in art. In 2 years I'll graduate with an EE. Guess next time I should get a girl with some common sense.... pftt art minor... have fun with living with your parents and working at Macy's.

if someone actually wants me around, they'll let me know about it in no uncertain terms; I just have to hope I'll want them around, too. ;)

Sometimes you gotta tell them..... sometimes

auraslip said:
if you don't have money, girls won't stick around.
It's not that simple. Money is just one element. Cute girls leave rich guys all the time, and they (less frequently, I admit) start up with poor guys. That said, it certainly helps the situation if you can be a provider. Indeed, if you have enough money you can...

1. Find a girl with good genes (smart+cute), and buy some of her eggs.
2. Find a healthy girl who doesn't smoke too much to get the eggs implanted in her womb. She serves as the surrogate mother, a rent-a-womb.
3. After the baby is born, find a suitable nanny to raise the kid.
4. Get your sex from hookers.

So, you see. You don't need a relationship.

auraslip said:

So I haven't really felt like doing any bike stuff.. which is stupid, but it just makes me frocking depressed to think that something I love drove someone I love away.

I'll start a new thread on them when I get around to switching them on and putting them in serial. I'll order two more and use them with 24v meanwells in parallel to make a 18s 26a charger.
You'll get over it trust me.
8) 8) 8)

Alright. Got it working.

They're smaller than I thought, and that's nice.

Connect the red wire to switch it on for 11.99v
Connect the yellow and white wire and it goes up to 12.25v. I figured this was some sort of sense line, and I installed a 1k pot in between it, but it did nothing.

It would SEEM that the pin slots are for a single connector BUT NO. Each side is different. Thus, I had to solder main positive and neg directly to the board.

Next up is to see if they stay on under load.

Edit: forgot to mention I shocked the hell out of my self touching the heatsinks and the case at the same time, so be careful.

Hey auraslip! You're a smart guy. Find a smarter girl! You will never regret it. This from an old guy who married a really smart girl. 30 years and no regrets!
otherDoc

Haha thanks doc. Smart girl? One that likes electronics? I'll take a look.....

I figured out that the yellow wire puts out 12.35 - I figure it's a refrence voltage or a sense line or something. Any ways, if I pull it down, the out put goes up. Right now I'm using a tiny little pot between it in ground. I can get it up to +13v, but the pot is starting to get really hot. Maybe a bigger pot will work, or running it in parallel with a big ole resistor. I wonder how high I can take the powersupply.

Well, I just ordered 6 more of these PSUs
Again - at $6 shipped a peice

So now I have ( 4.5kw) worth of power for $50 :D

I forgot to mention that I found three pots on the board that can be used to adjust the voltage. Well one of them does at least. Not sure about the others.

I'm going to try to see if a 5v meanwell will work with my 18s pack (75v~ CV) Anyone have an idea of the voltage range of the 5v units?

Eh, nevermind - there are no inexpensive 5v meanwells and honestly it looks I'm going to be limited to around 20amps @ 72v due to the 1500w breakers in my house.
So I'll just go with 12v units.

auraslip said:
Smart girl? One that likes electronics?
You'll probably have to settle for one that is smart in a different way. There are certain interests that are gender-linked. That is, girls may be into shoe styles, and guys know about engine displacement. (There seems to be a fag category too that's similar to, but still different from, that of the girls, you know, interior decorating, etc.) The gender split was probably naturally developed because a division of labor adds efficiency to a society, and a difference in interests leads to a division of labor.
Anyway, there are plenty of smart chicks out there - some, smarter than you. But don't expect them to know what a PN junction is.

Back