Hubmonster 94% efficient 7kw NO LONGER FOR SALE

Some measurements

Rim: 2,5kg
Motor : 15,6kg (o.0) was expecting 14kg...

Rim is 108-9mm wide (my caliper isnt accurate anymore)
The inner part where you attach the rim to the motor is 6.5mm thick and looks really strong, good quality aluminium, casting, etc.

Motor is 108-9mm cover to cover, couldnt get a good measure of the disk mount, but it should be close to 35mm
Flats are 15.5mm thick and 25mm long.

John have you the motor resistance and no load current?

John, that's why you need to build a tilting velo! :) Best of both worlds, even if your commute is in a straight line. That said I've seen hpv's handle surprisingly well at 40-60mph speeds, low CoG is great. It's hard to know just how much cornering you can handle without cushy suspension or tilting, though, so straight lines the only safe ones :)

14kg was the number I got from the factory. In my haste to get it running, I forgot to weight it. Thanks for weighing it, because I need to change that up top. I didn't get no load current either without the rim and tire. With the wheel on the no-load current is 4A at 1100rpm about 5.5A at 1300rpm. While no-load with the tire is useful for real world use, the numbers we need for comparisons between motors is without rim or wheel.

The rim flange on my motor is steel, so if yours is AL, then they have changed it up some, though yours looks the same. The rim is alloy.

John

gensem said:
Some measurements

Rim: 2,5kg
Motor : 15,6kg (o.0) was expecting 14kg...

Rim is 108-9mm wide (my caliper isnt accurate anymore)
The inner part where you attach the rim to the motor is 6.5mm thick and looks really strong, good quality aluminium, casting, etc.

Motor is 108-9mm cover to cover, couldnt get a good measure of the disk mount, but it should be close to 35mm
Flats are 15.5mm thick and 25mm long.

John have you the motor resistance and no load current?

hillzofvalp said:
JOhn lives at a high elevation so everything is lighter there.

Look at the bright side. Gensem got an extra 1.6kg of motor for free. :lol: :lol: At least I came in under on the shipping weight, since I initially said low 20'skg, and we only got billed for 20 on Gensem's box. With regen which would permit using a bike disc on the rear, a big chunk of that disc brake mount and axle on that side could be lopped off to save what the weight challenged would consider substantial weight. :mrgreen:

Tires are heavy, but you can always shave them down. :mrgreen:

I've got an idea, since you like to throw around the big power numbers. Get 2 and either make it a trike like our Aussie friend with the leaning delta postie, or make custom fork clamps and go 2wd. :shock:

There's always ventilation which assures 25-30kw or more peak input capacity. without a meltdown. The stator is even already coated to ward off corrosion and the phase terminations are slathered liberally with a thick epoxy or something, so it's not too far from being submersible. :mrgreen:

The motor can do what you can't as long as you don't load it down too much, but I suggest going incrementally to be sure you really want to go there. I ran 30kw peak for a few months with the tin pot motor, as the factory calls them, that I had on before, and you'll notice I haven't been in any hurry to go back to that power. It's not because I don't think HubmonsterHE can handle it easily with a day's work modding. Maybe once I have a CA3 fully integrated I'll be more inclined, but I've got 20lbs to drop to get back to July's performance, and then 50 more for :shock: performance without changing a setting.

John

hillzofvalp said:
Can you just try 25kW for us? Please? 0 block time. video. go.

I have to get another bike or two going before I'd consider taking my primary transportation down for upgrades. School started today, so I have to get my cargo bike back on the road anyway. I wouldn't want to try to push my pair of 18fet controllers to 25kw, and that may be a bit high for my 4110 24fets without modding them for high current and active ventilation. I think 25kw calls for 30s and my pair of 120A 4115 controllers, especially since they're already set and tested (supposedly) for it. That's 27kw out of the box and likely to be roughly the equivalent to the 30kw on the original Hubmonster, but a drastically higher top end. That calls for an ebike overhaul, because I'll simply have to try a top speed run at that 50% higher voltage. I've gotta get a CA3 in and tuned, a DOT rated wheel for the front, and learn about videos, because that puts a real 80mph+ in the sights so it's gotta be documented properly. Instead I want to build a new bike with better manners and aerodynamics instead of overhauling my straight line blaster that rides and handles like a 70's Cadillac but perched on large bike saddle. Hell a lower bike and some aero may even put 90mph in reach, since that's well over 110mph no-load on a fresh charge. I've hit 65 with a no-load of only 74, so it's not unreasonable. I'd be happy with a more upright and normal position and 70, because a beached whale tucking down to only peek over the bars for a speed run isn't a fun or useful riding position.

:idea: OTOH why should I rob you guys of the glory of being first to break some hubbie barriers, since I don't even like going fast, especially on two wheels?

John

There's not anything happening in a few weeks. China is shut down. All air shipment orders are already delivered and the ocean shipment just got on the boat and it's headed through the canal, not a west coast port. Unless you were lucky enough to find the right scoot with dead batteries for some immediate gratification, then you're SOL for now. 8)

Don't worry. I don't think anyone with one in hand has batteries yet, so the prize money window isn't shut, just the any time really soon window. :mrgreen:

John

gensem said:
How many people have the hub at hand atm John?

Thousands. Those scooters have been on the market for years. One of our UK has had one sitting in the shop for a long time and didn't realize the diamond waiting to be found.

Sorry for being evasive, but I will say that at this point it's only a few that went to people who would be eligible. There's more in the hands of family and friends, along with custom build shops who are testing the motor as a replacement and upgrade to what they've been doing. I'm not sure any even know about the contest, since they aren't ES contacts. If any kind of question comes up at the end, you guys will have a say. ie There definitely won't be any contest fixing. I wish there were at least a handful out to quite active members like yourself, so you guys could duke it out in a race to get rolling, since the whole purpose is to get early feedback. Most members don't let ES turn into such a black hole for time. Come spring I know I'll won't have enough hours in the day, so my ES fun will get chopped way down.

John

hillzofvalp said:
My girlfriend is native Chinese.. She said there still are many operations. Guess not with this supplier

Contest is a nice touch but I'd like to be first anyways regardless of prizes

In CYN (Chinese New Year), I can't even get responses from people I normally communicate with daily/weekly over business related matters. The places they work sometimes have the entire power shut-off to the factory during this time, cause even the power companies try to dial down to a minimum power. In many places, only service industry like food, medical, some retail places for tourists etc stay open.

If your GF thinks that most places stay open during CNY, it's likely because she doesn't exchange much with industrial scale factories, and likely just interfaces with the service industries that remain mostly running during CNY.

When there's no one in the office to process our order, and no one in the shipping department to pack it up and ship it, then we're not taking customer orders. This past week was a shipping nightmare in China with everyone trying to beat the cutoff. On Monday my 21kg box of controllers couldn't go Fedex. They were only accepting smaller boxes. We barely made the DHL cutoff. After new year may be the same thing due to a backlog of orders. I'm keeping my customers' orders out of that mess, and the factory is closed for two weeks anyway not counting the few days early almost everyone took off, because all orders were out the door.

It's not like I didn't warn everyone. When they get back we will still be doing once a week batches and sticking to my estimated time frame in the first post, "less than 30 days". If you wanted fast, then you should have paid on Monday, Jan 28th. Orders paid early that day were put into the previous week's batch and delivery was made Monday the 4th. I don't expect that to happen again until we have motors stateside, though we'll still estimate 2 weeks weeks. Deliver more than promised and everyone is happy. Promise too much and only complaints can result. If I was like the over-hyping crowd I'd put my 17yo daughter who weighs just 110lbs on my bikes and record times and speeds along with videos. Maybe I should hire one her 18yo friends to do it and have a "costume malfunction" during a live video feed, since sex sells. Nah, I'll just let the motors speak for themselves. :mrgreen:

John

hillzofvalp said:
John in CR said:
Maybe I should hire one her 18yo friends to do it and have a "costume malfunction" during a live video feed, since sex sells.
John

Agreed.

So the earliest I can have a motor is basically Late MArch?

That would be the latest if you order as soon as is possible after the New Year break. We don't quote earliest. Plus I've got crates of motors coming by ocean freight with the ship scheduled to arrive in NY mid March, so it's reasonable to expect them in our hands in New Orleans within a week or so after that. They're on a much faster container ship than my last sea shipment a few years ago that was 30 days just to cross the pond. This one is across the Pacific, thru the canal to the first port in Jamaica in 28 days. Then 5 days later in NY unloading the container. I hate to get optimistic about timing with a government agency and a lot of highway between the boat being unloaded and our hands, but the first week or 2 of spring should kick off some happy days. I need to start writing another for sale ad for the next product release. :mrgreen:

John

Do want. If all goes well for me financially, I just had this crazy idea of running a monster front hub and rear motenergy ebike :lol:

Paint job done... looking good!

20130210182621.jpg

hillzofvalp said:
mm. want.

By the way: what gauge are the phase leads? and how long is the bundle?

Phase wires are 4,5mm thick, not sure what gauge would that be... and the wires range from 35cm to 40cm long.

Gensem,

While yours is still not mounted. Can you tell if the axle flats are on the same plane? That would be good to know if they are, because then some can proceed with some aspects of their build without having their motor in hand. I could pop mine off, but since I hit the brake side with a grinder to force fit it on SuperV's non-parallel dropouts, I wouldn't be able to tell with certainty.

John in CR said:
Gensem,

While yours is still not mounted. Can you tell if the axle flats are on the same plane? That would be good to know if they are, because then some can proceed with some aspects of their build without having their motor in hand. I could pop mine off, but since I hit the brake side with a grinder to force fit it on SuperV's non-parallel dropouts, I wouldn't be able to tell with certainty.

Just take a nut, thread it on a bit.. then measure the gaps on each side with caliper. do for both sides obviously. Alternatively (and maybe more effectively) you can take a drill bit that is a close fit.. and see if it fits the same on all 4 cracks. John, it's hard for me to believe that the threads are not coincident with each other... Wouldn't make sense from manufacturing standpoint. However, screwing up the flats is a nice chinese frock up

Back