• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Idea: Separate forum sections for parts, bikes and 3+ wheels

Hi,

I noticed it's tedious when looking in the for sale section for an entire ebike/vehicle, because they're sprinkled in amongst the many posts of parts for sale.

A separate section for whole e-bikes could make it a lot easier to find them.

A third section could be good also for e-(velos, vehicles, trikes and quads) so they aren't in with the 2 wheelers, since that's a pretty big distinction.

-
I realize this may not work for various reasons, I don't know the ins and outs.
Most people are not going to put "WHOLE EBIKE" in the title, but that would help. Then it would be possible to search filter for only those posts. But usually it's just a model name, maybe some specs, partly because space is limited, and partly because they assume you "know what that is" - but amongst all the parts, often with part of the same brand name in the title, they don't exactly leap out at you.
-
Thanks
(I would have posted under the "Forum features and guidelines" section, but it won't let me start a new thread there.)

People won't even put the PRICE of their stuff in their sale posts much of the time, or where they are located, etc etc. Moderators frequently have to tell them to put this stuff there after reports are generated about it. Some members keep doing it over and over.

Nor do they use the right forum for selling things, often posting want ads or for sale ads in various discussion forums and threads, even threads that aren't theirs. Moderators frequently have to move such threads to the right spot, and warn members not to do that. Some members won't listen and keep doing it, whcih can earn a banning for spamming if they continue...but all they do is whine and complain instead of following the very simple rules about it.

Do you really think they're going to bother using *new* forums for items, when they won't even use the existing ones correctly?

I think it's a nice idea, but it wouldn't help in reality, and would just mean more forums for the moderators to have to patrol for people posting incorrectly cuz they can't be bothered to read the simple existing rules and follow those (as they naturally don't apply to them, only to everyone else).

BTW, you *should* be able to make topics *and* post replies in the Forum Rules and Features subforum. I can't directly check permissions on users, but Ypedal and Fechter should be able to.

Would you like me to move this topic there for you?

True enough, I'd be so happy if people put locations in their title. Example, 500w controller AU, or Torque arms USA.

Thanks Dan, location would be a big help too. At the end of this post, I suggested a syntax, which could be put in a sticky for mindful posters. (and could also work for form-generated titles, although that would require modifying the code of the BBS)

Thanks Amber, it does make more sense in that section.
Reading your post makes me so grateful to the people who admin this site. And to all the people who admin other incredibly useful sites. Thank you for sharing your experiences, it was mind opening.
(about the posters who don't follow common sense):
So true! Frequently I think, "really? no price? no photos? no location?" Yikes though, I had no idea it was so bad. Posting without location or photos is bad enough...
It sounds like what you're saying is, the technology isn't the main problem from the administrators perspective, it's how it's used.

From a potential buyers perspective, I saw different sales sections at another big cycling forum, which is what lead to me posting this. It was much easier to browse.
I would not bother scouring the entire sales section for an ebike, unless I was ok with the slog. Searching for a specific model could work, but that rules out open browsing.

From a sellers perspective, for those that do follow guidelines and read the "before you post" stickies, it could make selling an ebike or vehicle easier. If it's easier to find, it's more likely that someone with think "oh, I'll just have a look". So it could lead to more views, more rapid sales and more sales.

I see the problem from the admin side though too, more "space" to maintain/monitor is a a nuisance.
In the long run, it could make sense for ES to become an NPO, if it hasn't already, and receive funding to help maintain it, and allow it to grow. But of course, again, that's work.

I imagine in the future, bulletin boards will come with a lot more options, like the sales section could be more clearly visibly separate from the rest of the sections, with a big, bright image/button leading to it, and it could require posters to fill out a more detailed form, and not submit the form unless all the boxes/options were filled out. And people could pay a small amount if their item sold, to help maintain it. (the payment option streamlined into the bulletin board code - leading to various online payment services)

SYNTAX: (for a sticky, and maybe eventually there will be BBS available with forms, so to post a sales ad, you fill out a form and it generates the title based on what you select in the form)

[noun] [location abbreviation][main relevant modifier][other modifiers in order of relevance]
so for an ebike:
EBike MO Crystalyte H3525 48v 10Ah LiFePO4
which would be:
EBike [LOC] [Motor Brand, or Bike Type if unusual, eg Recumbent] [Motor Model if applicable] [voltage] [battery capacity] [battery type]

So that bike forum with all the nice features,,,, did it have lots of ads that pay for it all?

If it's making a ton of money, then you can afford to hire guys who do nothing but admin the forum. All us moderators work up to several hours every day for free. And Justin picks up all the costs, including paying the main admin guy.

Heh, no, but I get what you're saying. And I am extremely grateful to you and the other Admins, what a kind thing to do, thank you!

The site I'm thinking of is another labor of love, bentrideronline, although I think they might make revenue somehow, I haven't looked into it.

Ads aren't the only way to pay for costs though. I've listed a few below. Of course it takes time and energy and organization to get these going, but in the long run they could take a burden off the Admins. I feel bad using a forum which is moderated and run for free, I feel like people should get compensated for their labor, but I also know how hard it is to take on yet another project (fund raising).

-passing the hat (yearly supporting membership, sliding scale, easily set up through site like patreon for regular contribution)
-grants from foundations for sustainable energy/transition to greener tech (it would be a drop in the bucket to some of them, and being electric it's good for global warming)
-crowdsourcing on sites like kickstarter etc
-get a publicity project going, like a contest "to build the lightest electric bike" or "lowest cost electric bike", then donors would chip in to support it, especially if it reached out to high schools and universities.

Back