Is There Any Particular Reason Why The Wires Of A......

....BLDC controller all come out the same end?????

Take your average BLDC controller, the one we all know.

Free-Shipping-High-quality-36V-350W-250W-BLDC-font-b-motor-b-font-font-b-controller.jpg

All of the wires come out of the same end. Sometimes there are two grommet holes other times there is just one.

What I find annoying and perplexing is that HALF of my wires are needed at the ass end of the bike {hall sensors and phases} and the other half are needed up front....{throttle, three-speed, cycle analyst}

Then you've got the battery wires and the direction they go in will depend on the build-design in question.

SO! Is it feasible to either reconfigure or build-from-scratch a controller with a hole at either end to run wires through, or is there a good and necessary reason why traditional controller design features wires moving all in the one same direction out the front???

when they make them, they put the wires through the end plate before they slide the controller into the case

to have some coming out of the back you'd have to put the controller in first and then pull the wires out the back after... it's no big deal but it would be a bit slower/trickier and you wouldn't be able to check to see non of the wires were rubbing against anything etc...

every controller I've ever seen is set out like that

knighty said:
when they make them, they put the wires through the end plate before they slide the controller into the case

to have some coming out of the back you'd have to put the controller in first and then pull the wires out the back after... it's no big deal but it would be a bit slower/trickier and you wouldn't be able to check to see non of the wires were rubbing against anything etc...

every controller I've ever seen is set out like that

Thanks Knighty....back when I was a total noob, I bought a kit from Cammy_CC on Ebay and the controller I got was an Infineon mounted in a case which had a retractable "roof"....instead of pulling the controller out of the box to look at it, you just unscrewed the top of the box and slid the top off, allowing a top-down viewing of the internals.

Cheers.

Easy enough to modify though, to have some wires coming out the end you need them. Might need to lengthen them a bit, or not depending on how much is left of the wire coming out the other side. some might be longer, others shorter. With the plugs off, you should be able to shove the wires through a large grommet, replace the end cap, then seal the space left in the grommet up with goo.

2 reasons:

If you seal where the wires enter the controller to make it water resistant you wouldn't be able to open the controller again.

To help a controller resist water ingress, it should be mounted at an angle with the wires entering from the lower end so water can't follow the wires into the controller. With wires at each end, all would need drip loops to prevent some acting as channels for water to follow right to the controller.

If you want you wires the other way, just take the back cover off, and drill some holes and add grommets to run whatever wires you want out of that end.

Assembly-line considerations are the purview of the production engineer. They constantly argue with the design engineer. This is why common hubmotors have some airspace around each stator-tooth, with room for one or two more turns of copper. They are still hand-wound, and those last few turns would have to be slow and careful...

If you wanted a some of the wires to go out the other side in a water-proof way, there are a variety of "bulkhead electrical terminals" that you could buy and install at the opposite end-cap, like this?

wp22-2.jpg

It's interesting that some find this wire arrangement to be problematic. For me, having all the wires coming out the same end was extremely helpful.

22gD8.jpg

(Ignore the SLAs- that was just a test. The real battery is up in the triangle.)

you mean this;

http://www.greenbikekit.com/index.php/motor-controller/z02-8fun-brushless-hub-motor-controller.html

Back