is this good news? (Graphene battery)

Since HK have introduced graphene into the battery market what are your guys feelings on the market in general?

I know in computer terms when a new product is about to be released they price drop the previous gen equipment quite drastically before the 'main' user group can get hold of the new product, meaning it's best to hold out on any current gen computer perhiperal purchases until just prior the new product is announced/release.

So in battery market is 'now' the time to hold on to those pennies and wait for a graphene implementation on the 18650 format?

I've not followed the cell markets and not a battery guru, but I assume it can/will be implemented into the 18650 format?

Also, what sort of frequency to they release a 'new' (even if it's rebranded) cell chemistry type/size?

ccmdr said:
Since HK have introduced graphene into the battery market what are your guys feelings on the market in general?

Luke made an interesting post in another thread about graphene: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76037&p=1152622#p1152622

Graphene is ubiquitous in anode materials for EV cells already.

So yeah, Hobbyking is basically catching up and bringing what was formerly high tech to the low tech sector (assuming they've used it correctly). Plenty of people lapping up the marketing BS, though.

Cheers LockH - it was that post that brought me to ask the question.

Punxor - Again this was another post I've looked through, but it doesn't really cover the aspects of potential cell buyers in the near future, more on the direct tech itself.

Since the HK cells have been 'user' reviewed, by the RC market mostly and are now sold as 'Graphene' cells, (much like 64bit processing ,think N64 before the Opteron/Athlon sales before it became mainstream) it'd be interesting to note how the 'previous gen' cells decline in price. Did anyone notice how the 4S20ah Multistars dropped by over 15% on the release of the newer 'Graphene' for the now price of them which has gone back up again?

If you catch it right with the 18650 market and get the same potential 15% price drop for us as a community, it'd be great :D.

Yes other threads about this but this is a member who is going to share his own experiences with them.

amberwolf said:
I was just linking them for further reading for anyone interested. ;)
Sorry, but on both of those threads there are people complaining that there is another thread so I thought the worst. I have been waiting for batteries that these promise to be. Here's hoping the waiting is done.

Not sure if this has been posted before.... Graphine Lipo batteries available from Hobbyking. Look like amazing high performers.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__89616__Turnigy_Graphene_Professional_16000mAh_6S_15C_LiPo_Pack_w_5_5mm_Bullet_Connector.html

then just read this.... ????

I woke up today with an email from Hobby King simply titled…

The next evolution in battery technology
I like evolutions. They mean progress.

Ignoring the dozens of other emails I excitedly clicked through and saw that Turnigy had come out with an entire line of graphene lipo batteries.

Wait… what?

Last thing I heard about graphene was that it’s stupid expensive to manufacture. Even companies like Tesla, who would benefit massively from this technology, said it could be years before they’d jump on board because, like any company, they need to at least attempt to be profitable.

So what is this Graphene thing-a-ma-gig, anyways? (click to expand)
So I did a quick search and sure enough, they were talking about it a couple years ago…

While Musk has repeatedly made note of Tesla’s plans to build an affordable electric car, a battery even partly made of graphene would still make the car very expensive. Most Tesla Model S sedans cost about $100,000, but graphene is exorbitantly expensive at the moment, which means it would be difficult to produce a sub-$100,000 vehicle. So despite its benefits, the cost of graphene simply wouldn’t justify the cost of disrupting Tesla’s existing industrial processes to make way for this new material — at least for the immediate future.source
Okay, so that was all from 2014. What’s going on recently? Have things changed?

Maybe.

In November of 2015, researchers published the results of a study where they were able to produce high-quality sheets of graphene using a promising scalable route through chemical vapour deposition (CVD) of graphene on copper foils.

The foils they think are most promising for scalability and cost reduction are the same foils that are used for the production of lithium-ion batteries.source

But still…

This was published less than 2 MONTHS ago.

Could Turnigy have got their game plan together and whipped up a batch of batteries using this tech?

I don’t believe it’s likely. But impossible?

Let’s look at the facts.

#1: The Turnigy Graphene batteries are heavy.
Compared to the other 3s 1300mAh batteries on Hobby King, the Graphene batteries are at least 15g heavier & up to 27g at the most extreme.

3scomparison

On the 4s 1300mAh side, they are at least 10g heavier, and up to 35g.

Graphene Lipo

So sure, it’s heavier. Not too big a deal, right?

But why is it heavier?
Fact #2: Graphene is suppose to be lighter.

You’d think that with Turnigy replacing the separator between the positive and negative electrodes in their batteries with graphene they would save weight.

But nope, they got fatter.

Even when you compare it to another popular brand such as Rebel, their 3s 1300mAh with 50c rating and 100c burst weighs in at only 115g.

So with all else equal besides the “graphene”, there is a 22g difference!

Are Turnigy’s new graphene lipos on roids?

And last but not least, Fact number 3 is going to be posed as a question.

How come there are no other battery companies using graphene?
Maybe my research skills are straight garbage, but I can’t find a single one.

Someone had to be first, I guess. But Turnigy?

Using graphene in any manner to improve a process, a product, or anything at this point in time will increase costs despite the new research that the university boys just published.

It takes new manufacturing processes to be built at scale in order to even get things started.

That costs money and time.

Did they have insider information so that they were able to get these processes built in time to get their new batteries out so quickly?

On the other hand, maybe Turnigy’s 40-50% increase in price for their graphenes compared to some of their other models is evidence of these extra costs. But then again…

Maybe it’s all marketing.

Just like they are claiming a 15c charge rate. That’s 19.5 amps on a 1300mAh! Talk about fire hazard.

As far as I’m aware there isn’t even a charger out that can do that. Which means…

It gives them a competitive advantage (marketing) that no one can test, safely.

Seeing a trend?

I even reached out to a few of Turnigy’s competitors to get their take on the new battery — here’s a direct quote.

My suspicion is that they are using “GRAPHITE” as a carbon additive in the cell to reduce the internal resistance reading. Though that will look good on an at home cell test (increasing sales). It actually reduces the life of the battery as it’s a cheaper alternative to other carbon sources that stablizes IR far better.
Is it just a jealous competitor, or another red flag?

I can’t say for sure…

But before you jump on the hype train that is graphene, do your research and make sure your hard-earned money is going to a company that stands for more than just profits made from (possibly) unethical marketing.

Sorry, that was too many words for me to stay in tune, Willow. What was your point other than you will believe it when you see it?

Just noticed them on HobbyKing website, anyone buy them yet?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/RC_PRODUCT_SEARCH.asp?strSearch=Turnigy+Graphene+Professional

TURNIGY, the name synonymous with performance, reliability and innovation is excited to release a powerful new battery chemistry in the Turnigy Graphene!

The Graphene Professional series is designed for professional UAV/RPA operators (unmanned Aerial Vehicle/Remotely Piloted Aircraft) and those that demand nothing less than the best.

Graphene batteries are unlike anything you have seen or used before.

Turnigy Graphene packs utilize carbon in the battery structure to form a single layer of graphene just 0.335nm thick, making that type of battery substrate the thinnest known to mankind. The graphene particles form a highly dense compound allowing electrons to flow with less resistance compared to traditional Lipoly battery technologies.

The result is a battery capable of maintaining greater power output whilst remaining much cooler under load. Since heat and resistance are the natural enemy of batteries, Graphene chemistry has significantly reduced these problems and the result is an incredible boost in cycle life and performance.

We have a full range of Graphene Professional battery packs and will be adding new sizes/configurations as they become available. Turnigy Graphene batteries are the new standard for serious professionals who require POWER ON DEMAND.

Advantages over traditional Lipo batteries.
• Power density: 0.15-0.17kw/kg (5Ah-16Ah)
• Power density: 0.13-0.15kw/kg (1Ah-4.9Ah).
• Stable High pack voltage through duration of use.
• High discharge rate, giving more power under load.
• Internal impedance can reach as low as 1.2mO compared to that of 3mO of a standard Lipoly.
• Greater thermal control, packs stay much cooler under extreme conditions
• Higher capacity during heavy discharge.
• Maintains higher pack capacity even after hundreds of cycles
• Fast charge capable, up to 15C on some batteries.
• Longer Cycle Life (reportedly in excess of 900 during testing).
• Graphene LiPo Batteries only require a standard Lipo battery charger.

Is not it common knowledge that Hobby King and Turnigy over-exaggerate their discharge numbers.
That youtube page on page 1, the narrator is spouting off like the discharge numbers are solid 100% numbers. Can't believe anything that narrator says. I just hit the back button when he was comparing the discharge numbers.

I think its a marketing gimmick, sure lipos are easy to connect but I wouldnt trust batteries in a ziplock bag. I like metal cans.

That's just bad info. HK only list the C rates assigned by the manufacturer. So if you think they are wrong, blame Turnigy, not HK. I'm pretty sure they will discharge at the spec'd C rate. But you'll lose lots of cycle life doing so. Used at up to 4C I've got almost 4 years on my current pack and ~15,000 miles. The new graphene packs should last longer at higher C rates. Wish I needed some, but bought a bunch of new batteries within the last 6 months when they were on sale for 20 cents per wh. I doubt I'll need any new batteries for at least another 5 years. And I may be dead by then. You can have your 18650's. I only use them in flashlights. No way in hell would I strap 96 of them together to get a 24s 10ah pack, which only takes minutes to do with rc lipo.

wesnewell said:
You can have your 18650's. I only use them in flashlights. No way in hell would I strap 96 of them together to get a 24s 10ah pack, which only takes minutes to do with rc lipo.

Plus you get the added bonus of a possible house fire or sizzling flame ball between your legs at speed if you mess up your wiring, get them way out of balance due to negligence, or generally abuse them. :twisted:

ecycler said:
wesnewell said:
You can have your 18650's. I only use them in flashlights. No way in hell would I strap 96 of them together to get a 24s 10ah pack, which only takes minutes to do with rc lipo.

Plus you get the added bonus of a possible house fire or sizzling flame ball between your legs at speed if you mess up your wiring, get them way out of balance due to negligence, or generally abuse them. :twisted:
Yeah, Tesla sticks about 7,000 18650 cells in each car and sells about 50,000 Teslas cars per year. Yeah those 18650s have turned out to be a real disaster in safety etc...

When I was riding my bike to work the other day I saw a Ford SUV parked on the side of the road smoking heavily then break out into flames due to some kind of electrical fault, standing there watching it in over a few minutes it grew into a spectacular fire. I watched all the major TV news broadcasts that night and it never made it on the news anywhere, no body cares... I hope I don't have to explain what I am pointing out here..

ecycler said:
If one is that fricking stupid they shouldn't be allowed to eat with a fork. And 18650's never burst into flames? I suppose you don't watch the news about 18650's blowing up in someones pocket or the ban of hoverboards due to catching on fire. These were all 18650 fires/explosions. All batteries are dangerous in the wrong hands. How dangerous is rc lipo?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27241

I am just playing around. Yes, they all have the capability. Remember all the people who got their dicks burned from their Dell laptop batteries many years ago? hahaha This is just the modern equivalent of battery woes. Lipo is a less stable chemistry.

Arent all those 18650 fires due to some no-name crappy brand. They never do say what brand of battery they were using.
Vaporizor exploding in the face, making holes in cheeks (mouth, not butt), exploding in pockets, in cars, in airplanes.
They could very well be brand name Sony's or LG or Samsung's, draw too much current, drain them too much, charge them up too quick and any battery will explode.

markz said:
Arent all those 18650 fires due to some no-name crappy brand. They never do say what brand of battery they were using.
Vaporizor exploding in the face, making holes in cheeks (mouth, not butt), exploding in pockets, in cars, in airplanes.
They could very well be brand name Sony's or LG or Samsung's, draw too much current, drain them too much, charge them up too quick and any battery will explode.
I think about half of the hoverboard fires were from dodgey chargers maybe to save costs they took a 5v USB powerpack charger and hacked it a bit to deliver a bit lower voltage for the 4.2 expected peak.. I got an ebay 18650 $2 charger thats default output voltage is 4.3volts...
I think the other half of the fires came from 18650 battery packs that were packed ultra tight together with just glue as a thin separator and no cell holders etc.. I think some hoverboard users were overweight american adults (compared to skinny Chinese testers?) who would of drawn twice the amount of power and thus caused twice the amount of heat on the battery pack. The combination of 18650s packed tightly against each other and twice the amount of heat being created inside the pack was enough to set at least one 18650 off and cause a chain reaction..

Thats been my best set of theory from some what close observation of the hoverboard fires on the news.

I think it was from the cells getting wildly out of balance and having no BMS. At some point you are going to have a severely overcharged battery or undercharged battery producing a shit ton of heat when put through enough cycles...

Yes, I remember my grandpa telling me a story years ago about a lead acid tractor battery exploding in someone's face... even those rather benign batteries can do pretty bad things. I have had three car batteries leak on me over the years, and although I prefer an acid spill to a fire it still sucks quite a bit especially considering the frequency.

My theory is, I bet the Chinese company that sold them to North America, did not test them at all.
They just wanted cold hard cash and will sell you anything.

Fires cannot all be blamed on cheap batteries, guys !...
Laptop fires....many were Sony LT's using sony cells ...not cheap no brand cells.
Hoverboards. There is plenty of evidence showing many of these batterys are genuine Samsung packs ( with BMS boards inside the pack !) that have been in the some of boards, involved....so again , not low quality cells or packs.
Most of the blame for the HB fires has been Identified as defective chargers, and loose battery location causing damaged packs , and wiring shorts on the metal chassis.

Note..Totally unrelated, but...
Samsung have a major product recall on their hands here, with washing machines that are prone to spontaneous combustion as a result of poor wiring practicies ! :roll: :mrgreen:

Yikes! Which ones? I just installed a new set of Samsung HE uprights!!! :shock:

ecycler said:
Yikes! Which ones? I just installed a new set of Samsung HE uprights!!! :shock:

We call them "Top Loaders" .
This is our model numbers, yours may well be different.
https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/item.phtml?itemId=1047306&nodeId=893b2482a4e5f33f234ab5b1943343a8&fn=Recall%20Notice%20Samsung.pdf
Loads of detail if you Giggle it.
Be aware, Samsung have tried ,.... Ignoring , Deny, downplaying, passing the blame, etc....every trick to avoid acknowledging the issue. There have even been fires caused after an official Samsung "Rectification" work !
http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/samsung-overhauls-washing-machine-recall-as-it-faces-potential-coronial-inquiry-20160322-gno4gu.html

Back