JP spot welder

Well, I'm finishing 13 units and 12 of them are sold, so if you want to get it in this batch, you should probably order now. I'm not sure when is next batch going to be finished, because I have to update my stock. I will restock soon, but I need time to actually assemble welders, and it's going slower now while I'm sick.

riba2233 said:
Well, I'm finishing 13 units and 12 of them are sold, so if you want to get it in this batch, you should probably order now. I'm not sure when is next batch going to be finished, because I have to update my stock. I will restock soon, but I need time to actually assemble welders, and it's going slower now while I'm sick.
Thanks. I think I'll wait. Got too many projects going currently and I won't be ready to start using the welder for at least a couple of months anyway.

Cheers

This is my current setup. Old 3s4p (11,1V 20Ah)Nanos:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__37499__Turnigy_nano_tech_5000mah_10S_25_50C_Lipo_Pack_UK_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=10s%20nano%205000

At first I maked it 11,1V65Ah and the welder blew a big hole in 0,3nickel at 3ms and after a few more a few fets was blown. Jakov was kind enough to replace them.
Anyway I weld 80cells today while my lipos was charged to nominal voltage and the voltage after this is almost the same.

0.15 works good and 0.2 as well at 3ms and 10ms respectively.
What I do notice is that weld from the positive electrode is weaker. I have yet to succeed welding with 0.3 - the negative weld is strong at 13-15ms(when I rip the nickel off it leaves a hole in the cell) but the spot from the positive is very easy to remove - it does not stick. I tried to have more pressure on the negative electrode but that did not seem to help. Any tips on how to improve this? Jakov suggested swapping electrodes so I have yet to try this.

Anyway I am very happy with this little thing, and the service from Jakov was great, I even bought another one to have as spare!

Another thing, is it better to have a sharper tip or better with more area?
DSC05762.JPG

What I notised is that after while, when the tip got more flat and even, the welds are better looking and also creates bigger contact area I also need to encrease the pulse time.

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, but your spot welder worked great! I was using 0.1mm nickel, and 5ms was too much with the battery I have (715 cranking amps) - the probes were getting stuck to the nickel. 3ms worked better. I've gotten very consistent spot welds, and not a single bad weld after a couple of days of building battery packs. Thanks for a great product!

riba2233 said:
Thanks! Yeah, handheld electrodes give nice consistency, I used to have one piece that hold both electrodes and it gave inconsistent pressure and burned welds.
One piece electrodes need seperatly actuated springs / pistons.

Allex said:
Yes please hook me up with one set( cabling/grips only) :)
Oh and softer cables would be nice, I think I will take it.

+1 :wink:

My final wish would be thicker tips for less flex 'n bend and also longer tips so the handles are not in the way when you need to make tight welds like we do

I'll probably want one of these down the track.

I'll stay tuned for updates re complete stock etc.

Would be interested in lowest price/slowest/untracked freight as I'm not in a rush.

Well done btw, excellent idea.

Thanks! :) I will update the stock info in first post.

Cheaper shipping options for Australia are:

- standard (ground) letter without tracking - 19$
- priority (air) letter without tracking - 21$

Standard option which I usually use is priority (air) recommended tracked and costs 25$. Both air options should in theory have the same speed.

I did receive my welder last week and managed to do some test welds on some old batteries and nickel strip.

IT WORKS GREAT !!

Now i'm waiting for my nickel strip to arrive so i can do bulk welding (1080pcs of 18650)

Would it be possible to use some capacitors like the Zeva spotwelder http://www.zeva.com.au/Projects/SpotWelderV2/ uses instead of the 12v battery ?

I'll post more info soon when i've done a few hundred welds.

Thanks, I'm really glad that it works as it should :)

Now, I'm not really sure about capacitor, it would have to be able to supply same amount of current as battery, but not more, and they are really expensive if they are high-quality, you don't want fake ones. Also it's cheaper to use/buy car battery.
Personally I wouldn't bother, results can vary largely.

I am about 90% done building my 20s12p battery with the tesla cells. This welder has worked extremely well.

I am using .5 and .8 pure nickel with no issues what so ever. I have the the welder right around 5ms which has seemed to work well for me.

Unfortunately the way my phasor is i can not just make 1 battery. I need to break it up into 2 or 3 parts to maximize what I can fit.

When I get out to my garage Ill grab some pics to show the welds of the last 8s pack.

Thanks for a great product riba and excellent follow up. Hope you beat whatever cold or sickness you had going on.

Back