• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

KMX Motor Selection Questions.

Smoker

100 mW
I've decided to run just the front brakes. I will be ordering a motor for my new kmx soon.

It's a choice between the 20" 405 and 406. I'm leaning twards the 406 as it weighs more and might deal with heat better. Any input would be awesome. What are your thoughts?

The BMC hubmotors could be. Never tried a 4 series, but I would say yes, if you can get the right adapters. KMX is a standard spacing...

I'm going to forfeit the rear brakes. Need opions on motor selection now. Thanks :)

20" 405 or 406?

Good move, the KMX really doesn't need the rear brake, unless your into handbrake style turns. V-brake adapters can be fitted if you are..
As for motor choice, what voltage? Work out what top speed you'd like, then play with the simulator here.. http://ebikes.ca/simulator/

On the subject of rear brakes, I'm in the process of fitting a set of Magura Hydraulic Rim brakes to the rear of my KMX so I can do handbrakies.
I'm running a 406 which you can't really add a disk to.
The 406 does about 63kmh with 86V and tyres at hookworm tyres at 90psi.

I've already upgraded the front brakes to a set of Diatech hyrdraulic disks to the front. These brakes are a million times better than the stock ones, and you'll need them if you're planning on 50kmh+.

You can use two independent levers (one for each brake) or split the hydraulics with a T piece to run with one front lever, leaving room for the rear lever.

rhubarb said:
On the subject of rear brakes, I'm in the process of fitting a set of Magura Hydraulic Rim brakes to the rear of my KMX so I can do handbrakies.
I'm running a 406 which you can't really add a disk to.
The 406 does about 63kmh with 86V and tyres at hookworm tyres at 90psi.

I've already upgraded the front brakes to a set of Diatech hyrdraulic disks to the front. These brakes are a million times better than the stock ones, and you'll need them if you're planning on 50kmh+.

You can use two independent levers (one for each brake) or split the hydraulics with a T piece to run with one front lever, leaving room for the rear lever.

why can't you add a disc brake to it? just replace the side plate. I did that on mine and was able to run a disc.

Back