KMX trike build (updated pics)(new HD video)

SamTexas said:
Looks nice. So around 22wh/mi. What are the max and average speeds?

I saw RC LiPo in your battery box!?? I was expecting A123 26650 cells. What gives?

Hahaha! That's funny how you say it. I really have near 300+ packs left but the problem is I don't have enough time to put a pack together like solder the cells and etc. I even posted on the wanted section to pay someone to make me 3P packs with either a spot welder or soldering ... it appears we are all too busy!

The lipo pack is small and I think it will serve its purpose for now it is a 12S2P made with turnigy 6S packs 5AH.

Max speed is around 32-33mph using lyens 120% setting although I don't really keep it that fast since I'm still getting used to it. Average speed I think was like 21mph since I was riding thru some urban areas where they have speed bumps but there were some straight roads to hammer the throttle.

BTW the torque and power this thing puts after 20mph is impressive I can't imagine this thing running on 88V ... I originally intended to run it @ 88v but after using it like this to be honest I think it is more dangerous than useful. Instead I'll make a really thick torque arm and increase the amps to 60 or 80 and have lots of fun.

ohzee said:
SamTexas said:
Looks nice. So around 22wh/mi. What are the max and average speeds?

I saw RC LiPo in your battery box!?? I was expecting A123 26650 cells. What gives?

haha no shit ;p he's the man with enough a123 cells to kill elvis

Nice looking ride though and the box fit's very nice as well.

That your round house ? Looks cool.

I wished that was my house ... strangely enough it is an animal shelter :s

You are certainly teaching by example for a great build. Thanks for the source on the battery box and your tube. I just put the slime tube into my hookworm and immediately put a hole in it wrestling the 20" hookworm tires onto the rim; saw the green goo. So patched and tried again. Not the only one on this list that has had that difficulty.

You are missing one thing, clipless pedals. On those trikes if your leg slips off the pedals they can be dragged under the frame for an easy broken leg or worse. Highly recommend getting some clipless! It is actually nice to relax your leg while coasting. Mine are Candy from Crankbrothers from Tree Fort Bikes (although they have been back-ordering on me lately). Constantly amazed at the elegance of the design for these pedals: http://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_candy.php

Best, Joe Mc.

migueralliart said:
trike020.jpg

trike022.jpg

how have you got the CA mounted ?

that's exactly where i want to mount my CA V3 on my trike. i havent ordered the CA yet. waiting for the V3 final FW.
there's not a whole lot of clearance for the cranks....

Jason.

Diamondback said:
how have you got the CA mounted ?

that's exactly where i want to mount my CA V3 on my trike. i havent ordered the CA yet. waiting for the V3 final FW.
there's not a whole lot of clearance for the cranks....

Jason.

hi jason

This location was suggested by another member named Andrew. The only thing u need is a really wide bottom bracket. The stock CA mount works perfectly.

The BB size is 68x122.5 with this size I can pedal comfortably and hard and I never hit the CA. It just seems really close to the cranks but if u see it up close no matter how hard u pedal u won't make the cranks hit it.

The CA I got is a V3 so far no problems. I got it from methods.

Thanks for the info.

My BB is only 116mm. I'm not sure ill be able to fit it there. :(

Might have to rethink my installation location. I did some quick measurements
Based upon the dimensions of the CA and I thought it might JUST squeeze in.
But based upon your BB measurements, I now doubt it will work in that location for me.

Time will tell I guess.

Thanks again.

Jason.

energyi said:
You are certainly teaching by example for a great build. Thanks for the source on the battery box and your tube. I just put the slime tube into my hookworm and immediately put a hole in it wrestling the 20" hookworm tires onto the rim; saw the green goo. So patched and tried again. Not the only one on this list that has had that difficulty.

You are missing one thing, clipless pedals. On those trikes if your leg slips off the pedals they can be dragged under the frame for an easy broken leg or worse. Highly recommend getting some clipless! It is actually nice to relax your leg while coasting. Mine are Candy from Crankbrothers from Tree Fort Bikes (although they have been back-ordering on me lately). Constantly amazed at the elegance of the design for these pedals: http://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_candy.php

Best, Joe Mc.
I absolutely agree regarding the clipless pedals. I have Shimano ones and they work great and protect my legs as well as allow relaxation in pedal strokes. Shoud be a requirement of tadpole trikes.
otherDoc

I second or third on the recommendation of clipless pedal. I used powergrips on my pedals. When I first had my trike on the road, I had my foot slip off the pedals and under the front tube that connects the 2 front wheels, twice. It hurts, had a hard time walking for at least a week.
I also had a hard time putting the hookworms on. Anybody tried taking them off yet? I don't carry a spare tube, In Chicago the buses have a rack for bikes, and since I ride mainly in the city or not too far from the city, if I get a flat or breakdown, I'll just put it on the bus or train. My ebikes are 2 wheels uprights, so I know you can't do this with a trike.

Jerry

chisixer6 said:
I second or third on the recommendation of clipless pedal. I used powergrips on my pedals. When I first had my trike on the road, I had my foot slip off the pedals and under the front tube that connects the 2 front wheels, twice. It hurts, had a hard time walking for at least a week.
I also had a hard time putting the hookworms on. Anybody tried taking them off yet? I don't carry a spare tube, In Chicago the buses have a rack for bikes, and since I ride mainly in the city or not too far from the city, if I get a flat or breakdown, I'll just put it on the bus or train. My ebikes are 2 wheels uprights, so I know you can't do this with a trike.

Jerry

Crank Brothers Speedlever really works well on Hookworms to remove or put on. A little Dawn dish Detergent for grease makes the job very easy for me and I am old!
otherDoc

Nice build! excellent planning. As an experienced etrike rider, I have 2 suggestions. Both safety related. Get a flag. It makes a big difference in visability. Get clipless shoes and pedals. A must on a tadpole trike. If you foot slips, then in an instant you get leg suck. Your foot gets sucked under the trike and will do serious damage to ankles and knees. God knows how long to recover from surgeries if at all. It looks like fun, but be safe. A red rear flasher wouldn't hurt....

ebent said:
Nice build! excellent planning. As an experienced etrike rider, I have 2 suggestions. Both safety related. Get a flag. It makes a big difference in visability. Get clipless shoes and pedals. A must on a tadpole trike. If you foot slips, then in an instant you get leg suck. Your foot gets sucked under the trike and will do serious damage to ankles and knees. God knows how long to recover from surgeries if at all. It looks like fun, but be safe. A red rear flasher wouldn't hurt....
Yep! +1 to all the above suggestions. Actually consider them required for survival on a recumbent tadpole.
otherDoc

I'm not using the trike daily yet. But I've had that in mind for about a week. Been looking for an "affordable" set. Probably egg beaters or something I don't know if anyone has links and can recommend a specific brand I'm all ears.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm still on the testing phase and not commuting with it. At the moment I'd like to setup a really bright rear red light and a good front headlight possibly HID. Stay tuned :D

A popular pedal that I use is Shimano. It has clips on one side and a regular pedal on the other. Either way any clipless will provide protection. Good luck.

ebent said:
A popular pedal that I use is Shimano. It has clips on one side and a regular pedal on the other. Either way any clipless will provide protection. Good luck.

i use those on my trike too. PD-A520 is the model number.

Jason.

I used to use the Shimano M540 SPD pedals and clips as they are pretty bullet proof. Lately they have come out with a nice one for recumbents, the PD-T400. Its just the SPD with a rubber or plastic pedal surround. When you run clipped in you'll want to have the clips on your shoes as far back as you can get, to prevent "hot foot". I Dremeled the slots in my Ragster lls back about 3/4 in. to help prevent hot foot. YMMV

Happy Trails

Excellent job!

I dont know if this was asked before but what did you use for a battery box?
very clean looking build makes me want to build one :lol:

Doctorbass puts his batteries under his legs, but I think I like your battery setup better. Can you think of any tradeoffs to either setup?
Are your planning on doing any mods like a steering damper: how does it handle at higher speeds?
I was thinking of putting a 60 tooth chain ring on mine so I can contribute to forward momentum of the trike at 35mph.
Doctorbass's trike:
file.php

Well I think it all depends on your needs but in my case I wanted the battery weight to be applied to the seat that way what the bike "feels" is just a heavier person. Not trying to criticize Docs mount but I wouldn't want to be going downhill and break hard. Plus in the event of a fire my battery case will just fall of the trike to either side and not remain attached. His battery mount looks easier to remove than mine and holds more lipo which means more fun.

As for the steering damper I don't ride this thing past 32mph. For now 30mph has been pretty fast for me on the roads I commute in. I actually cruise at 27mph most of the time since it gives me some good braking grip in case of an emergency.

farmkid4 said:
Excellent job!

I dont know if this was asked before but what did you use for a battery box?
very clean looking build makes me want to build one :lol:

I think its like 2 pages before. Its from a website called MPJA.com the clamps are from Home depot they are heavy duty pipe hangers.

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. So far the KMX trike is being used 2 - 3 times a week to commute to work. I found a bike trail that's several miles long and gets me to work safely.

I wanted to migrate all my bikes to lifepo4 but I didn't have time to make the A123 packs for all of em so I checked the OSN power cells that APRIL on ES is promoting. I sent her a 3D image of what I wanted and she confirmed with the price quote. I gotta say the service was excelent and I have no complaints. The new pack for the trike is a 16S3P pack of 3.3 ah cells so 9.9AH. I asked april to split the packs in two 8S3P so that I can do the final welding of the balance wires and discharge leads. Here are the pics;

4_zps2e67a4e9.jpg

2_zpsdfa95f82.jpg

I will update the thread once I receive the packs and assemble them into the trike enclosure for permanent mounting a thing I was not looking forward to do with LIPO.

Hi migueralliart,

They Front 20" wheels both where from? My KMX Typhoon 16" wheels will get update to binding 20 inch front wheels please.

Thanks
Jatinder

Gh0stxSinghx said:
Hi migueralliart,

They Front 20" wheels both where from? My KMX Typhoon 16" wheels will get update to binding 20 inch front wheels please.

Thanks
Jatinder

Those front wheels come in the frame kit. You can contact utahtrikes they'll sell you the double wall wheels.

Back