la Nina rears her ugly head

No, once it does run, it might wash your car down the street. At that point, my whole back yard will be 6" deep, no need to pump.

But It does sometimes trickle down the ditch along the front property line. I could run a pump from a small deeper spot when it trickles. No curb here, just ditches that if dug back out, fill with sand and rocks the first big rain. I tired of digging mine back out over and over.

Re the Ruidoso area, I rode through a lot of rain the other day, the upper mountains are quite wet now. Nothing left to burn though, I was quite shocked at how hot that fire was. I hadn't been to Ruidoso since the big burn. Much hotter fire than the Black Range fire, much more 100% kill.

On the other hand, down by Lincoln, it looked really dry and ready to go any time some fool parks the car in the grass. Except there is no grass. That dryness went all the way the airport.

Cloudcroft/Sunspot also safe for this fire season. Juicy up there. Mayhill/ Weed could burn easy.

-----------------------------------------------La Niña Rain Gage-----------------------------------------------------------------
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
------------------------------------------ :x ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chomper the Global Warming Tortoise is still buried in the dirt. If I hadn't watched him go under, I could not tell that he is there. It took him several days to bury himself.
My friend growing up once had a tortoise that disappeared one day. Twenty years later when he went under his parents house to check something, he saw it in a corner just sitting there. He tossed a rock at it, which hit it in the head and it's head just went poof and disintegrated in a puff of smoke. I tried to get him to give me the shell before the family sold the house a couple of years ago so I could make guitar picks from it but he never gave it to me. :(

Last night the predictions for any rain today and rest of the next week or so vanished, saying it'd be mostly sunny and hot.

I woke up to Yogi standing on me in panic from thunder a bit more than half an hour ago, with Teddy standing near the bed spinning her tail wondering what his deal was. Went out to see and there was already a lake in the street, and still raining pretty good, getting more and less intense periodically.

Now it's down to heavy sprinkles with bursts of medium rain, and I started the pump going....

YOgi's still on the bed panting his head off, and Teddy stilld oesnt' care; she wanted to go outside with me when I was setting up the pump, though. :) Didnt' let her mostly so I wouldnt' have to clean up the mudpuppy mess; she's bad enough already from her backyard antics.

Chomper, the Global Warming Tortoise, surfaced today, after a few weeks beneath the dirt. Temps way below normal with highs in the mid 70s must have ferreted him out. I put out some fresh romaine lettuce and poured some cool water in his trough; though not interested he sulked in his corner behind the palm trees. :?
Hopefully we'll get a tropical shower this week to perk him up and wash him off or I'll have to give him a bath if he comes out of his corner. Some fresh picked dandelions or ripe strawberries or watermelon might just coax him out. :wink:

Those predictions came back and went away more than once after I posted the above, but other than the rain in that post, we didnt' actually get more than sprinkles here and there, except for one few-minute rain that almost tested the new gutters (only one actually got any water in it).

Has been more promises of it since then, but nothing materialized yet. Was a nice thunderstorm north of us yesterday but it went south far east of the valley. We don't usually get any rain unless it comes up from the southeast toward the northwest, or vice-versa, unless there are pretty stiff winds to blow the heat dome off the valley to let the clouds roll in.

Presently predictions are for sunny and hot 105F+ all week, except *maybe* we might get clouds and *maybe* a 10% chance of rain in a few days. Maybe.

Back to small chance of rain (almost certainly none), and 100F+ temps. Today was predicted to be around 105F, but was 112F in my area, 111F a few miles away, etc. Yesterday was supposed tob e 104F but ended up 109-110F. Been like that for several days so far, more or less.

So I expect it to be more in the 105F+ range in actuality, given the difference so far between prediction and reality.

I've seen a storm off to the northeast last night that just stayed east of the valley, went south and disappeared.

Tonight there was a nasty looking one with lots of lightning all over the western sky, while the justpastfull moon stood among the stars overhead here.

Winds were high and gusty, mostly from the north and west, and made it kinda hard to ride CB2 with the canopy on it; if I hadn't allowed for the wind and ridden near the middle of the lane, then when I got around tthe curve of Metro Parkway headed east, I'd've crashed into the curb on the righthand lane pretty hard, even with anticipation of the gusts as I passed various structures and was passed by various vehicles. :/
By the time I got home from work and fed the dogs and stuff, it was getting cloudy enough to hide most of the stars and make the moon a veiled glow, but the storm itself didn't look to be likely to actually get here. :/

Tonight
Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows 80 to 84. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph in the evening becoming northeast after midnight. Chance of measurable rain 10 percent.
Thursday
Partly sunny with a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs 101 to 105. Southeast wind around 5 mph in the morning becoming southwest in the afternoon. Chance of measurable rain 20 percent.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows 77 to 84. North wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of measurable rain 20 percent.
Friday
Partly sunny with a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs 100 to 104. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of measurable rain 10 percent.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows 76 to 82. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph in the evening becoming south around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of measurable rain 20 percent.
Saturday
Partly sunny with a 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs 98 to 102.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s to lower 80s.
Sunday
Partly sunny with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs 100 to 103.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 70s to lower 80s.
Monday
Partly sunny with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs 100 to 104.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 70s to lower 80s.
Tuesday
Partly sunny with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs 99 to 104.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s to lower 80s.
Wednesday
Partly sunny with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs 99 to 104.

Strange: I refreshed the page for the "overnight" version of the forecast, and now it's this more "definite" version. Sometimes I see this happen, as if the computer couldn't reach the specific location I asked for, and served up the more general-area version instead:

Overnight
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 86. North northeast wind around 5 mph.
Thursday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 105. East northeast wind around 5 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.
Thursday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 84. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Friday
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 104. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Friday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 82. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
Saturday
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 102. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.
Saturday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 83. South southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Sunday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 103. East southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.
Sunday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly clear, with a low around 83. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east northeast after midnight.
Monday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Sunny, with a high near 104. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
Monday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 83. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming east after midnight.
Tuesday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 104. East southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
Tuesday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 83. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south southeast after midnight.
Wednesday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 104. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon.

Weather getting less predictable here
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49550&start=1100#p1216686
yesterday was supposed to be clear and sunny all day and clear all night, but oured rain late afternoon with no nws stations indicating even that it was cloudy (though that was very obvious just by a look outside). I wonder what kind of automation they must have to get this problem, because if htey had people there at the stations I don't imagine it would be possible. :)

supposed to be clear and sunny and hot today, too, but there are the same valley-ringing clouds as yesterday, so....

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/nepac/h5-loop-ir2.html
Sattellite view shows two Pacific hurricanes spinning towards Hawaii. Warmer days here (80°+). Chomper spotted out and about but couldn't get him to eat, he just went back under the hollow "rock" after a little romp. Had to water the roses today, but more cool days (70-75°) are in the forecast for the latter part of the week through next weekend. 8)

Well, la nina not shutting down the moist air this sept, that's for sure. Got some nice rain yesterday, about a half inch. What a relief after the hottest July and August in a long time.

Looks like today is the day AZ gets pasted with it. Rain for the year at my house creeping towards normal now, but that's still only 6 inches.

was supposed to start yesterday, just cloudy after dark though, sunny all day before that.

maybe an hour ago it started to sprinkly lightly, that's it so far.

hoping for lots more than this.

might get to finally test the canopy on cb2 in rain though.

Ooops. "La Niña fizzles, making record warm global temperatures more likely"
https://www.yahoo.com/news/la-ni-watch-canceled-record-172232017.html

With stabilizing sea surface temperatures in the eastern tropical Pacific Ocean, climate forecasters announced Thursday that they have canceled the La Niña watch that had been in effect since April.

Meanwhile, on the Weather Network, "Fall Forecast 2016 Premieres September 12 at 9:00 PM!"

Anybuddy wanna be a weather forecaster these daze?

-----------------------------------------------La Niña Rain Gage-----------------------------------------------------------------
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
------------------------------------------ :x ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twenty percent chance of rain today. All we got was a little mist, most of it fell in the mountains to the North and to the East.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=NTP&rid=eyx&loop=yes

Chomper's sleeping like a typical russian rock, highs in the mid-seventies. :?

Monday
A 30 percent chance of rain and thunderstorms after 11am. Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 79. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Monday night
A chance of rain and thunderstorms before 11pm, then a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Tuesday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 78.

Hoping the next Pacific hurricane will track towards this area.

There is a high probability that low pressure southwest of the coast of Mexico will develop into a tropical cyclone as mentioned above in the special features section. A gale warning is in affect for some of the offshore zones in anticipation of the development of this system. This system is forecast to move west of the Baja California Peninsula within a few days...and parallel the coast afterwards. :shock:

-- :twisted: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heard that it rained in San Diego yesterday. All we got was a drop or two.

Saturday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. West wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Sunday
A 20 percent chance of showers before 11am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 70.
Sunday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 59.
Monday
A chance of showers before 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 71.

The Northwest is getting hammered. We're setting up for the winter storm pattern. Still had to water the roses one more time. Chomper probably will not make another appearance this year. :(

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/nepac/h5-loop-ft.html

Today
A 20 percent chance of rain before 11am. Cloudy early, then becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 73. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight
A 40 percent chance of rain after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
Monday
A 40 percent chance of rain before 11am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 72. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.

Satellite view doesn't look too promising. :(

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/weus/h5-loop-ft.html

Back