• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Lawnmowing: manual and electric powered

Arlo, do you have any details online about how you mated the new motor to the blade?

veloman said:
Arlo, do you have any details online about how you mated the new motor to the blade?
Use some spacers and a bolt with some locktight on it. Mowed for about 2 hours today and it was awesome. I mowed down some 3foot tall grass/weeds and didn't phase it! :)

Mine burned up once , but it was the rectifier. I'm told I could convert it to battery power easy enough as it's a 24v motor with a voltage converter. But I replaced the 25v rectifier with at least a 40v, maybe a 50v, maybe that's why it's wearing out with maybe 200 mows. Maybe it's run 100-150 hours.

I was figuring I'll be buying a new one when the drought ends and I have real mowing again, but suddenly you're giving me devilish thoughts of a Frankenmower that'll blast through some of the mulching I do with the cuttings in the yard when I mower. I don't think I can buy one all that powerful.

rrare6-4.jpg

Here are a few variants we have had over the years. The ETEK one was unstoppable, and the ebike real mower was amazing but you cannot turn at all, its a total PITA, but once you get going you can fly and cut long grass while your at it. Fun to try but the modern 36 v+ mowers on the market now are a great option.

[youtube]btPjZJzhMFA[/youtube]

[youtube]eRnDAaU2woQ[/youtube]

I'm up to 36 lawns mowed commercially with my brushed Craftsman mower (Johnson Electric motor). The brushes don't look like they've worn at all since last year. Power is okay, but not enough for thick stuff to be time efficient. I tried running it on 18s with a controller, and the breaker kept tripping.

I've been using the 36v Black n Decker trimmer with good results. I have two batteries for it, and usually get 1-1.5 lawns with one charge.

It's been fun getting soaked in sweat pushing a mower in the 100 deg heat. The transition back on the ebike with the breeze makes it worth it.

I've been using an electric mower for twelve years. The first one made it ten years until I got tired of fixing shorts in the cord and switches. The motor never wavered and I stored it outdoors unprotected for a decade. The rain had little to no effect.

I replaced it with another of the same brand (Black and Decker), but there's more plastic and the quality isn't as good. It's been about a year and it won't last as long as the first one, but I like electric. It's quiet and doesn't make me stink. I haven't run over a cord ever. I just have a system in which I work my way top to bottom in the yard and the cord stays out of the way.

I am most interested in a battery powered hedge trimmer at the moment. Battery in a waist or back pack. Do not like the fumes from the two stroke trimmer and it is very inefficient having to rev up before the clutch finally allows movement of the blades. Electric could be direct drive, quieter, and no smoke. It also has the lowest hour use of bunch. String trimmer (25cc straight shaft commercial type with 090 sting), typically I go through a few tanks of fuel every time I go whacking (every 3 -4 weeks) as well as a spool of string. A serious amount of work! Lots of steep hill sides and nasty fast growing invasive vines and vertical trimming of invasive shrubs to beat them back into submission. I don't see this application as a option without a suitable backpack battery pack with spare batteries on hand. Replacing my used commercial 60" z-turn mower, would be a big investment for me as I would need to replicate the power of a 25hp kawi burning some 3- 4 gallons of gas per mow. I run it near full rpm and speed most times. If I let it get too tall, thick areas will get mowed a second pass as needed. No need to bag. I only mow when its dry and the mower does a excellent job. We are talking some serious bucks to get this type of performance in a battery setup.

I use a reel mower for the challenge. The mower I use makes the lawn even look nicer than a standard gas mower, if trimmed regularly. And, no, I'm not talking about a tiny backyard. I'm talking about a large backyard that most people wouldn't think of using a manual lawnmower on, but with a little bit of effort, it's easily done in 20-30 minutes.

Now if only I could get a manual trimmer going. Maybe I could design a wind-up spring model? Wind it up for 30 seconds, trim for another 30 seconds, lol.

Reels are near obsolete. For a bunch of good reasons. They only work well on manicured landscapes. If you, like most doing large ruffs intermittently, they are completely unsuitable. For small (less than a few thousand sq feet) well leveled lawns that are mowed regularly they can cut very short, work with very low blade speed and power input, and find a home for manual mowing. They however fail to do any mulching and leave a messy (no suction or sweeping effect) lawn unless you have a collector basket. Powered rotary with sharp high lift blades do a far superior job for most applications. Not even close from a productivity standpoint. There is a reason they are now the vast majority in use world wide for most demanding mowing applications.

I completely understand the differences from a productivity standpoint. This will indeed determine which type would be more suitable for a business that requires greater versatility and productivity than, say, a homeowner who could benefit from the regular exercise. If they are so lazy they will only mow the lawn every 2 weeks and their grass isn't particularly slow-growing, that is their issue. People should be working out everyday.

However, if you're working out everyday in other activities or, god forbid, you're actively embracing Dante's deadly sin of sloth, I can understand the level of effort a powered platform would help relieve. I do have an electric mower, too, (As well as a gas) but it's been long neglected since getting my super duper reel mower.

Understood. I am at the other extreme. I ride the pedal only bike daily and push myself hard. Last night some 31 miles with 2300+ feet of climbing and a over 17.5 mph average in a good cross wind most of the ride. I was pleased with that at near sixty, but still want to improve. Not racing anymore, but take it seriously from a conditioning stand point. I find it both mental and a physical challenge to learn how to improve my speed. I also have a huge place and both my wife and I are into the landscape in a big way. Weekends, most of my energy is used up and I suffer from exhaustion often when on my training rides from the yard work so I have to gauge my work schedule in balance with my workouts. It is not your average place. Our friends thought we were crazy when we purchased the place years back. They did not have the vision. :lol: I also did landscaping as a kid growing up in the family business. To me productivity is key to keeping a positive attitude toward the whole affair.

Reel mowers can be a lot of fun on manicured small lawns. Very light and easy to maneuver. I don't use them anymore, for my lawn (which is half weeds) and commercially.

I'm really trying to build a higher powered walk behind rotary battery setup. I've had a lot of lawns with thick or tall grass that cost me a lot of extra time because my current consumer grade Craftsman is limited in power. I'm not going to spend $2500 on a MeanGreen mower either. There has to be another option out there. It looks like I need to spend $250+ on a goldmotor inrunner and engineer an adapter to fit a mowing blade.

veloman said:
Reel mowers can be a lot of fun on manicured small lawns. Very light and easy to maneuver. I don't use them anymore, for my lawn (which is half weeds) and commercially.

During my youth working in the commercial sector, I quickly found a preference for lighter weight mowers over the heavy commercial ones. They were far easier to maneuver for those difficult-to-reach areas and they tended to not mark people's more sensitive lawns. Reel mowers are definitely the champ in this department (Quick in-n-outs are the norm for those small oddly shaped leftovers and difficult areas.), but my corded electric mower is also light enough, too. (It just has a cord to dance with, lol.)

I never directly asked them, but im pretty sure my lawnmower is powered by a combination of tacos, burritos and refried beans. :lol:

goat mow.jpg

Really keep life interesting (they tend to be little bastards), and also maybe get some milk and cheese. Maybe some steaks too, as an end result?

goat.jpg

By the way, I did just buy an electric chainsaw for 40$ (cheasy 'try not to break it'), but utilize a 40$ (used) weedeater or whatever brand for mowing- it's bad to the bone and doesn't care what it goes over, though someday my jump to quite, cheap, and more natural will be the above 4 legged bastards. And I'll not have a bunch of extra grass just for looks / to upkeep. Everything serving it's purpose, so you don't have to serve it's purpose. There's enough other work imo than wasting energy mowing a dam lawn. And especially with things that rely on grid ties.

Hey, for in urban environments isn't there a breed of grass that doesn't require mowing? Thought I saw that somewhere- you mow like once a year?

Heckufa ghillie suit there. ;)

nutspecial said:
Hey, for in urban environments isn't there a breed of grass that doesn't require mowing? Thought I saw that somewhere- you mow like once a year?
How do you keep all the other stuff that will sprout in it killed off? ;)

Cuz birds / etc are going to drop lots of seeds all over, all the time, even if you start with a totally razed and sterilized soil. :(

MrDude_1 said:
I never directly asked them, but im pretty sure my lawnmower is powered by a combination of tacos, burritos and refried beans. :lol:

MrDude, you don't happen to be attending Nuke School, by chance? :?:

I'm really trying to build a higher powered walk behind rotary battery setup. I've had a lot of lawns with thick or tall grass that cost me a lot of extra time because my current consumer grade Craftsman is limited in power. I'm not going to spend $2500 on a MeanGreen mower either. There has to be another option out there. It looks like I need to spend $250+ on a goldmotor inrunner and engineer an adapter to fit a mowing blade.

Single spindle? You can find good used two and three spindle z turn mowers for a few hundred dollars that have blown motors. You could set it up with a large motor to run the deck with a v belt and smaller ones with gear reduction to run the drive wheels if a belt drive or drive the pumps direct via a v belt if a hydro.. This way you could eliminate the deck clutch.

Well I don't even need a z turn. I just need more power on my 20" deck. Another idea I had was to mate a lightweight deck via hinges to one side, with its own motor. No belts or transmissions needed. Drop it down for the larger lawns.
I'm going after superior cutting efficiency, and low cost. Also, I don't have a pickup truck or trailer to haul a 200lb z turn.

swbluto said:
MrDude_1 said:

MrDude, you don't happen to be attending Nuke School, by chance? :?:

lol. oh god no. :lol:
My friend did own the bar that is right outside the main gates of the navy base... I know plenty, but I am not one of them.

veloman said:
Well I don't even need a z turn. I just need more power on my 20" deck. Another idea I had was to mate a lightweight deck via hinges to one side, with its own motor. No belts or transmissions needed. Drop it down for the larger lawns.
I'm going after superior cutting efficiency, and low cost. Also, I don't have a pickup truck or trailer to haul a 200lb z turn.
I think you're on to something. Hinged side decks (dual?) are something discreet electric drive can facilitate. This was not as practical with IC/hydraulic or lead-acid as it is with modern battery chemistries.

There's a lot of things a solo innovator can devise and use that just aren't practical as commercial idiot-proof products. Have you considered self-propelled R/C?

Back