Legality of mid drive kits on EU

Demer80

10 µW
Trying to understand how I can determine if a kit is 100% legal in the EU.
And its proving to be more diffuse than anticipated.

The bbs01 and tsdz2 is sold in 250w 25kh versions. But also in 350w version with the same hardware.

There is EN 15194:2017 ebike ce certification. But i can't figure out anything about mid drive kits.

You could argue that no programmable mid drive kits is eu legal because yo I'm can easily get a continuous 350w of it.

they really test and fine people when the bike appears to go fast, but then thats why they give you the sticker that says watts and class to put on your bike or motor , unless they can prove it, and you are using the bike responsibly, how will you get in trouble?

Yeah I know that 😊 but i hate when laws are diffuse. There's always a miniscule risk you could been made an example of.

On the other hand I'd love to use a BBSHD and program it to eu legal standard. Even if it's a bigger stretch to consider legal.

although where I live in COnnecticut, usa, if i go to massachusetts they make you register anything with a motor regardless if it pedals or not, commonwealth states are greedy machines that want every dollar they can get from their people IMHO... but aside from that factor if your using the bike in a responsible manner and its not powered by petrol of some kind the law doesn't give you a second look. of course, in connecticut there is no laws except for the one that says your required to wear a helmet on a bicycle, but not on a motorcycle... LOL, it doesn't make any sense, and ive never ever seen or heard of a person getting a ticket in this state for wearing or not wearing a helmet. bottom line with that is that helmets save lives and protect your most valuable resource, why would you want to put that in danger and never think again? it sure does suck to be the example on a legal scenario, but im well done and over that part of my life and so i just make sure i know the important law by letter to avoid that ever again.

Just speculating. If i wanna build some crazy ass looking machine, but keep it 100% legal in eu(Sweden) i can't, because the laws aren't completely clear.

And i have to cold sweat everytime there's a traffic control.

In socal individuals ride every kind of e-bike and I've never heard of the police stopping anyone (although it's probably happened since some SurRons as well as other bikes without pedals can go 50+ mph. I would suggest a BBS01 @ 36V and don't ride faster than 25 kph.

There is no peak power current limit,but the motor needs to be 250w rated nominal motor.for example the 250w TQ motor peaks at 1200w and is faster /stronger than bbs02 750w. there is an legal bbs 02 250w 25a version but not many have it.There is also a 250w rated Gmac motor,both expensive.Putting a sticker on is pretty stupid imo.

25a bbs02 250W :

250w (G)Mac motor:

Last edited:
Software is part of the machine, just like hardware and firmware. As long as you configure it to 250w on the road, it should be legal.

Back