• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Lifepo4 storage charge?

Stomper

1 mW
Hi, i need to know what's the voltage needed for each cell for storage (Lifepo), i know it's somewhere on the forum but i can't seems to find this info.

I dont use my bike on weekend is it better to discharge my pack for storage for 3 days?

Another question, the bms is using some power from the pack? If i dont use it for some week should i test the pack once a week to see if the voltage didnt drop too much?

*edit*

I found on the forum 80% so should be around 3.2v correct me if i'm wrong.

if you don't need to use it you can wait to charge it when you need it.

if it sits for months then you could put it on the charger on a regular basis like once every month or two but leave it charging for several days when you do that. don't remove it from the charger just because the charger turns green. let it balance.

if you have the ping pack you can just disconnect the black plugs like it is when shipped. there is no battery drain then. if you can reach the sense wire plug on the other batteries then unplug it there to stop the pack from draining down if you leave it for long long times.

the voltage will drop down to 3.3V normally if you don't keep it charged so no worry about the voltage when stored.

Lithium Iron Phosphate(LiFePO4)
The key benefits are enhanced safety, good thermal stability, tolerant to abuse, high current rating and long cycle life. Storing a fully charged battery has minimal impact on the life span.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion

the resting voltage of Lifepo4 is not a good indication of it's state of charge... cells can be resting at 3.3v fully charged and 3.1v near empty...

Best thing to do when storing for extended periods ( months... ) is to fully charge, go for a 5 minute ride so that you know you used some energy from it.. then shelf it.

for a few days or weeks, don't worry about it.. simply keep it fully charged and ready for your convenience.

The voltage range of lifepo4 is 2.0v to 3.6v empty/full but this is reading the voltage while the batter is being used/charged... Fully charged cells should get to 3.5v+ ( absolute max 3.8v ) when the light on the charger goes from red to green. Fully DIScharged with throttle on and pulling power =2.0v

when the charger is disconnected and the pack sits for a while, cells usually drop to 3.4v or so .. and if you drained the cells completely 100% empty at 2.0v .. they will bounce back to 2.6+ volts with no load.

ymmv, depends on each cell type to an extent, but those are roughly right.

Back