• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Look for: 26-38-48t gearing + Fatbike + 175mm arm length

Hi,
I found a Fat-Bike I desire very much for my road touring bike build, but it comes with the regular 170mm pedal lengths.
I noticed a bad trend in the recent years where 175mm lengths have almost vanished, while in fact many people as tall as me cannot use 170mm pedal lengths.
Since this is a hollowtech II system, I cannot just remove the pedal arms and install longer ones. I have to replace the entire crankset.
The original crankset is 22-32-44t but since the frame offers plenty of clearance, I wanted to install 26-38-48t crankset which would be more natural for road conditions with a motor as assistant.
The BB shell is 100mm long.

So I have those options:
1. Keep the hollowtech BB, and find a hollowtech crankset with 26-38-48t + 175mm pedals.
2. Take a REGULAR (68/73) hollowtech crankset and install it with some sort of a BB extension tube. Do such thing exist or possible?
3. Dumping the whole hollowtech components, and getting any type of BB spindle + 26-38-48 + 175mm pedals. Seems most likely to succeed. Since I am not a great expert in all the BB types, and the internet has barely any info to compare the different systems (and 3D models/rotatable images could have been great to understand), I rely on what you will recommend me.

Thanks for any help about this...

First, are you sure that you'll be able to tell that the arms are 5mm short? That's less than a quarter inch. I was researching cranksets myself recently and what I read is that most people can't tell a difference in arm length. Cheapest solution would be to raise your seat 5mm :D. If you are deadset on getting that 5mm in the arms, option 1 or 3 should work. I doubt an extension is available and if it was I would be concerned about it structurally. Hollowtech is supposed to be superior to the square/splined BBs, so I would try to keep it. You could try to find a set of arms like the ones linked below, then swap your existing chain rings onto them and reuse the hollowtech BB.

http://www.wiggle.com/race-face-ride-fat-bike-cranks-with-bb/

Back