Lyen Tester

sflorlando said:
Can you use Lyen's ebike tester to assist with hall sensor/phase sensor color combo's?

thanks

Supposedly yes, but not worth the effort trying to figure it out when manually trying is so simple. Just leave either the halls or the phases static and change the other. In that 6 possibilities you will get a good forward or reverse unless something else is wrong. I use alligator clip wires as both a fuse and to make swapping easy. "Good" means a relatively low current no-load WOT, since some "false positives" can spin the wheel. If you get a good reverse, then simply swap 2, only 2 , any 2 of the wires you kept static, and go back to swapping the wires like before to find the good forward in the 5 remaining combos, since the current one won't be the good one.

Hints:
Only change two wires at a time. I like to use one off color wire with clips such as black. Then eg I try the 2 combos with black connected to motor green, then 2 combos with black connected to motor blue, then the final 2 of the 6 possible with black connected to motor yellow. I find that easiest to be systematic.

Wheel off the ground of course. Also, chain off, so if you hit a reverse the pedal doesn't come around and whack you, get tangled in the wires, etc.

Use small throttle pulses to test.

Other hints I use as short cuts would just be confusing to try to explain, but with many, if not most, motors it's possible to get the max number of attempts down to 7, instead of the max 11 outlined above.

John

Im pretty dense and dont understand the process.

Alright so I will leave the hall sensors alone (all 5 colors matching eachother) and will only mess with the phase colors.

So first try them all matching..test them, swap a pair then test again, and so on.

The problem I had when I ran through Lyens entire combo check list, is that they would work ok and not reliable. Meaning that the motor would turn when the throttle was hit, but then I would get dead spots. I would have to spin the wheel a few inches and then the throttle would work again.

I would also find that at really slow speeds the whole scooter would vibrate like crazy. But if pushed through that starting period, then the bike would settle down again. Only getting back to the vibrating part when speed was decreased. I assumed its a hall sensor combo, but not sure.

I bought the lyen tester and both the motor and the controller are good.

Ken

Back