MAC 10T Hub motor Repair

Bearings should NOT slide one and if w/o force. They need a tight fit. If you can feel the lightest air between the bearing and the shaft I would recommend using bearing glue to glue it in. Otherwise the bearing will work lose over time.
No need to replace the other bearing if it turn nicely and without any crumbling or resistance (other than that caused by the rubber sealings.

izeman said:
Bearings should NOT slide one and if w/o force. They need a tight fit. If you can feel the lightest air between the bearing and the shaft I would recommend using bearing glue to glue it in. Otherwise the bearing will work lose over time.
OK. It wasen't a complete drop on fit.
I did have to push it down the shaft but it didn't need much force.
It definitly dosen't move arround so there isn't much of a gap but I guess some bearing glue would be a good precaution.
It actually slides freer on the bit of the axel that had the least cleanup as it was protected by the origional bearing.

Edit:
On the plus side I just checked and the bearing feels like it will be a snug fit in the side cover of the motor.
I will likely need to press it in with a little force. Having the bearing pressed in the side cover could make adding glue to hold the bearing to the shaft rather messy and I'm sure would make future dissassembly rather difficult.
The bearing won't have too far to move. circlip and wave washer on one side pushing it out towards the side cover or is there something I'm missing?

I just did a comparison with the other side of the motor with its undamaged side of the axel and origional bearing. the new bearing matches on that side with respect to the force to put in on and is only a touch looser on the repaired side. So the new bearing is pretty much the same as the old bearing but the cleaned up section of axel must be very fractionally smaller in diameter but virtually undetectable difference. you can't wiggle the bearing side to side it just it slides on just a touch easier.

Well my new puller arrived 160mm/6" one and it worked well to remove the freewheel/clutch that I could not move on my own :D. I managed to work out my budget to cover it but definitly no more spending money for a while LOL.

There seems to be quite a bit of play arround the key but I assume its harmless since I have a working clutch and hence no regen.

I need to go back to the dissasembly threads to check the next parts to remove but that freewheel defenitly didbt skude as well over the shaft as the bearing but wasen't too tight once I had it moving.

I might look arround for a fairly weak bearing glue because I do want to get this thing apart in the future.

Well I now have the wire back in the axel.
Quite a pain to get through there even with a bit of lube but its through.
I had to use the puller to remove the hub that holds the stator and its key to make room to pull the wire through first. The hub was on there quite tightly.

Now I have the motor guts setup in a vice I decided I better check the halls.
4K7 resistor as a pullup, a 5V bench supply and a osciliscope since I don't have a dedicated hall tester but pretty easy setup with some clip leads. Could have used an LED but the scope is on the bench so why bother.
Two phases toggled nicely but one phase stays high so I guess I need to remove the hall termination board and replace the faulty hall next :(. Hopefully the halls I have as spares are good enough.

This probably means the controller is very sick so for now I will use my spare controller for testing.
I somehow managed to rip the end off one of the traces on the PCB for a hall moving the old wires and using them for the hall test but thats a pretty easy fix. Wire termination to the end of a trace SMD style with no strain relief isn't the best but inside the motor there would normally be no strain so not that bad, just a pain when fixing it. I guess It would have been strain releived by the glue I had removed to allow the repair though.

I am also swapping the temperature sensor to an LM135 rather than the LM35 that had its wire cut so I consider it damaged and I had not got round to modifying my CA to use it.

Ricky_nz said:
There seems to be quite a bit of play around the key but I assume its harmless since I have a working clutch and hence no regen.
If it's deformed or a really sloppy fit then it might be worth replacing - particularly if you are running high amps.

Go to a large power equipment dealer (snow blower/lawn tractor/ATV/etc) and buy a piece of 5mmx5mm key stock. Costs about a buck for 25mm. File one end to fit, cut to length (at bit long), then file down the cut end for snug fit.

teklektik said:
If it's deformed or a really sloppy fit then it might be worth replacing - particularly if you are running high amps.
Just starting to reassemble it and confirmed that the slop is more on the aluminium hub that holds the rotor and the freewheel.
The key is snug in the axel so I would need to make a key that fits the axel cutout and then widens for the hub which sounds fiddly.
I'm not sure if it is excessive. I can probably move the outer of the stator about 3mm arround its circumferance with the axel clamped in a vise. I guess it dosen't take much tollerance error in the centre to cause that.

I'm not planning on running crazy power as I want to keep this thing reliable. I do about 130Km / week on it.
The slop is noticable by twisting the stator relative to the axle.

I will check the freewheel slop when I reassemble it.The key seems reasonably snug in the axel like the freewheel end.

Thanks

I did some more work on the hub on Sunday and got it running again :D although not on the bike yet

To get the old hall sensors out I found I had to use my heat gun on low because high(1500W) heated the magnets on the rotor quicker than the epoxy holding the sensors and I did not want to cook the magnets or their glue so on low and by continusly turning the rotor I manager to keep the magnets at a safe temperature while softening the epoxy just enough to scrape some off the top and then leaver the old hall sensors out.
The dead one was in 2 pieces due to its encounter with phase volts which dosen't bode well for the 6 FET controller it was attached to at the time. Once all three sensors were leavered out they left nice pockets in the origional epoxy in the correct shape that just needed a small clean up with a screw driver while warm and then the new halls slipped in snug. I used SS413A hall devices.
I checked the halls with clip leads before epoxying them and the PCB down. I then soldered them to the PCB and tested again through the main cable and one was flakey.
Turned out I got some epoxy through the hole in the PCB when I pushed it down before soldering that I needed to scrape before I got a good solder join. I had been suspsious because solder didn't flow right but the lighting was poor and I let it slid knowing I would give it a good inspection and test before reassembly

I have replaced all the hall sensors, it was easier to replace all three because the legs of the good two were in poor condition after removing the PCB and would have complicated reinstalling the PCB. STraight legs make the job of reinstalling the PCB much easier.

This video shows a test run on the bench clamped in a vice before gluing the wires down and sealing the PCB.
The power supply is in series with a Lipo brick to get enough volts because my other supplies were in use. The Cav3 was not calibrated to the shunt of the controller used but the Amp meter on the power supply is the correct current.
[youtube]KFPHGOdcopY[/youtube]
You can clearly see the movement of the hub arround the key under acceleration.
I have since reassembled the rest of the motor and glued the wires down but have not test ridden it yet because I want to be sure the epoxy is well set and not going to let the wires come in contact with the inside of the side cover.

You can also see a slight wobble i the rotor. It dosen't seem to be perfectly round although It works fine.

The key on the clutch side made much better contact with the freewheel than the hub makes with its key. I actually had to encourage the freewheel back into place with a few gental blows of a hammer.

For now I have reinstalled the old clutch because it had only slipped a couple of times on really cold days when attempting to start off with lots of torque (within the default limits of the 6 FET controller though). I will run it till it dies or becomes a pain as I do have a spare I can swap in quickly now I have all the tools I need to tear the motor apart.

Forgot the temperature sensor I used is actually an LM335 the 1% version and it gives acceptable readings with the gain and offset values calculated based on the datasheet. The 100degC limit might be an issue but I don't want to push this motor too hard anyway. One thing to note if swapping an LM335 for the origional LM35 is that the LM335 only needs 2 wires, you can see I left the 3rd unused and will probably cut it off since there is no need to trim the accuracy in hardware. the LM35 needed +V, 0V and output.

Hi All,
I have had the motor running for about 5 days now and have done a few shortish trips and it is working well.
I did have to redo the wiring terminations because they ended up a touch too close to the side cover and did not have enough movement to be able to ensure I could glue and keep them away from the side cover but other than that it works well.

I did notice a few cover bolts coming loose on the disk brake side of the motor. I had put the cover bolts in but haden't put on loctite because initially I was just checking clearances at the time. I forgot about that before test rides until I discovered the loose bolts. I have now gone over them. All cover bolts blue loctited now.
The upgrade from the 6 FET controller to the 12 FET makes this 10T motor fun :D. Still havent bumped the currents up from stock though.

Finally enough of an excuse to setup a switch on my CAv3 for the profiles.
Its also nice having the temperature on my CA now. I haden't got round to opening the CA for the mod for the LM35 so I put the LM335 in the motor as I had that apart and the temperature is pretty much spot on. I did use the 1% accuracy version though.

I also made up some brackets to allow be to attach the batteries to the frame more securly rather than just tape although tape has been just fine for several thousand KMs. I managed to get alll 20Ah 12s on the frame rather than where I had 4s of it on a carrier before. I mounted the cells high on the frame due to the enviroment I ride in but it handles well.

Back