MAC motor + Trek 4300 build

You can get a shimano megarange DNP freewheel from ilia (ebikes-sf). He has few in stock and I bought 1 of 7 speed shimano megarange DNP freewheel last week. :)

You can order from his website online http://www.ebikessf.com/ or email him.

DNP is a brand, shimano is a brand. No such thing as a 'shimano DNP'.

Tons of different vendors sell the DNP freewheels now. I recommend itselectric.ca since they grease it before they ship it out ( these freewheels do not come with adequate grease from the factory, apparently. )

Bad habit calling them as DNP freewheel. Whatever but it says shimano megarange stamped on freewheel. Give ilia a email or PM him. He will tell you.

Like I said I bought a shimano megarange freewheel 7 speed for MPIII motor on Yuba Mundo cargo bike.

I wonder how he got those then. They've been out of production since the 1990's.
Oh well, the DNP works. :)

BTW, the MAC motor is back together, i threw some mobilgrease 28 in it since i was tired of waiting for the sea shipped package ( including factory spec grease ) from cell_man. What a joy the MAC is, even on 38v/10S! I think i love it more than the magic pie build, because it is so much more like a regular bicycle when you pedal along, and quite a bit more stealth, lol. Not thrilling, but i actually get excersize. And it is definitely time to shed some winter pounds :oops:

The girlfriend's bike is finally together. 700c and a front 350w MAC motor on 36v/24A. I made the torque plates myself this time. Not as fast as the 8 turn, more like 20-23mph on 36v, but just right for my lady since she doesn't like going too fast. It's a lot more pedal bike esque on that power level, and 1lb-2lb off the motor weight of the rear 500w definitely helps keep it light so she has no prob carrying it up the stairs.

Getting ready to build some 30AH harnesses so we can do 50 mile rides together. yup.. that's right.. i've got 2.5kWh of lipo lyin' around.. and well.. the weather is too damn good here in Colorado to NOT spend all day outside :)

Glad you got the Mac back. I'm waiting for cell-man to send me some goodies he is working on. It will be a few weeks yet, can't wait!

The mac is so much quieter than the pie, lighter and faster on hills. Funny enough the pie can do 35 mph with sensors on level ground, and the mac 41 max on 60 volts in a 26" wheel of course. The difference mainly is the mac eats hills as it spins faster and doesn't slow down like the pie.

The pie though is a super low speed trail torque monster and I wish I had 2 bikes one with the pie for the woods and one for cycling with the mac!

The Pie would be good enough on 72 volts, 40 mph or near. I have just made up my mind that 40 mph is always going to be my limit for a bicycle and so making the Pie or Mac a top sensible choice for a bicycle for anyone (normal) ish :mrgreen:

I got a reminder every time I see my friend Pat who had a motorbike accident, metal pins holding his shoulder to elbow, not a pretty sight.

Even 40 mph is bad if you fall and I really am going to get some kind of body armour so If I do fall I can fall on the armour and let it take the beating and not me, even Pat admitted it was dumb not to have body armour that his injuries would have been far less severe. He never rode motorbikes since!

Yeah dude. Everyone i know who has been into motorcycles has had a permanent injury of some sort. That is why i am not too interested in going all that fast on 2 wheels. It's fun to test out, but doing it around the city kinda freaks me out. I'm not a Luke. :)

Been riding the MAC around every day lately and i remember, after a 4 month haitus, why i love the dang thing so much.

So, there has been an interesting development as of late. I apparently live in mountain biker heaven. This place is crawling with trails. Accidentally wound up on one the other day, i instantly got the appeal of it, but very quickly realized that my bike was totally inadequate for the job!

I am going to start a GT iDrive 1.0 build soon; through a strange series of events, i am recieving a free GT iDrive frame. I also found a dual crown rockshox judy XLC with upgraded springs at a local bike shop for $35!! I am going to try the oatnet front b battery mount idea and see how that goes.

Crap, i'm going to have 4 eBikes!!! i've became 'that guy'!!

Yeah dude. Everyone i know who has been into motorcycles has had a permanent injury of some sort. That is why i am not too interested in going all that fast on 2 wheels. It's fun to test out, but doing it around the city kinda freaks me out. I'm not a Luke.

This is very smartly said cuzz, been there and now bear the scar. No more motorcycles for me. That is why Ebikes is the BOMB all the fun of a motorcycle but not as dangerous, That is if your running under 5000w.

Looking forward to seeing your GT iDrive build maybe time for a new thread.
By the way what kind of motor will you put on it? May have to be a DD if your going to be jumping it in trails and stuff. Keep us posted.

Well, this won't help, but i picked up a Genesis v2100 recently. I saw it for sale on Craigslist for $80 and couldn't resist.

This thing sheds pounds easily!

The stem, cranks, front fork, handlebar, front deraileur, rear deraileur, and seat post are all steel. I replaced all parts except for the bottom bracket, rear deraileur, and fork so far, and it's down to the weight of my Trek 4500 without motor :shock: What a find!

The fork is like >5lbs, so there is definitely some weight to be lost there too. The bike shop opens up tomorrow.. I will have the non-electric version of this bike ready soon!!

genesis_first.jpg

Its easy to fix...

cheap rear shock with rebound control... dh fork, Farfle's extended swing arm and you are set!

+1 need upgrade front and rear shocks and extended swing arm from farfie! 8)

New thread build for your V2100 bike?

New thread.. maybe.. maybe not.. don't know where i'm going right now.. working on 3 builds, and juggling frames and motors.

Much like when i first got into this hobby. Took me a while to get settled.. lol...
There will be playing around with various DS frames for a while.

K2_attackframe.jpg

Speaking of which, guess what i picked up today. Bought it because it looks like the falconEV bag will fit in there real nice. The top tube is also flattened, so a controller or whatever else can easily be mounted on it.
$60 at the local bike shop.. i'm stoked.

Mind you, the rear swingarm is bent just a teeny tiny little bit.
Now i don't know if i want to put the MAC on this or not. May use it as the pike peak race build bike. not sure.

Ok.
Sold the K2 frame. It was warped at the triangle :( ...
Still on the hunt for something nice in the dual suspension world.

mactrek_2012.jpg

Here is the bike for now. I am pretty much done with the build by now.
I can cram the full 2.5kWh of all my batteries into it with this setup :lol: .
Only improvement i can think of is road handlebars. but fitting a proper throttle introduces all sorts of probs, due to the road handlebars having a larger diameter.

Switched out the 9FET for the 12FET. The 9FET just gets scorchingly hot and can't hang on 15S. The 12FET at a maximum of 42A peak gets kinda hot, but can hang with the 2600w peak, plus something like 30A constant on 15S ( doing >35mph ) indefinitely.

Do you have problems with the chain coming off the chainring when shifting the rear? That's what I found, so I keep the front derailleur. I see you got a more normal looking stem now. And front suspension again?

2.5 kw/hrs of LiPo, that would give me 50 miles with my mac at 35-40 mph, Nice!

I bet you are glad to be riding the mac again ? I can't wait to get mine back running!

veloman said:
Do you have problems with the chain coming off the chainring when shifting the rear? That's what I found, so I keep the front derailleur. I see you got a more normal looking stem now. And front suspension again?

Yes, i do. If i shift while hitting a bump, i'm screwed.
However, a front derailleur is both useless and doesn't jive with a frame bag too well.

I'm sure there's a better solution.

Scorpion: yes, i love having it back in action! But i feel like it's so slow now, in comparison to the 20" pie on 6kW.. :lol:

well in a 20" it probably has tonnes of torque, but the amount of power you have to dump into it is not a fair comparison :D

+ the fact the mac can do 40 mph on 16S is really cool and helps keep battery weight down!

Eh, the 20" magic pie just sips amps and wants high volts. The battery weight ends up being the same. The 8T MAC at higher speeds, like any other fast wind motor, just guzzles amps so you need higher amp hours.

The watt hours end up being equivalent for me. I do some fairly long distances.

Having said that, I had to make a 15 mile trip yesterday.

I went full throttle 99% of the way at 30 mph, and cruising at that speed the pie is fairly efficient, about 900 watts on level ground 1000 max. I think that is pretty good, and it was a little breezy.

When I was running 24S 1P I didn't really pay too much attention to the watts being consumed as I was having too much fun at 40 mph!

But the mac consumes around 2200 watts at 40 mph. The fact it can do 40 mph on 16S tells me it's a more efficient motor.

The pie isn't too far behind because with halls controller set to 120% it can do 34-35 mph max on 16S

On a motorway bridge my friend pat passed me with his mac on a 48V ping and his controller is set to about 45 amps, so he was pulling around 2200 watts.

I modded the 12 fet for 80 amps on 60 volts and he passed me, If I was on 24S there is no way in hell he would have passed me, I just didn't have the voltage on 16S, so I couldn't pull any more watts to get me up faster, and Pat was behind me before even climbing the bridge and it's pretty steep as the motorway goes over a little river so the motorway is raised a bit.

A geared pie sized motor I would love to see and it wouldn't even need to be such a slow wind!

But I do think the pie is too slow a wind, I wonder how it compares to the crystalyte HT motor, or the HS

I still think high torque motors on higher volts is better, but the pie is just a bit too slow, needing 100 volts for 40 is crazy, that would get you 60 mph with the cromotor or the crystalyte 54xx

hey o00scorpion00o and neptronix, Please come over check this thread and answer the question.

Here the link viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38688

Thanks for your posts in this thread. I always learn something.

All of my bikes were recently stolen including my Schwin Claimont Golden Motor DD setup. It weighed a ton and I toped out at about 26mph. It was a blast and I will forever be hooked.This thing was geo-caching beast! But the thiefs didnt take my 12s3p pack so Im looking for a new build.

I think I'm gonna get a MAC motor, but I just wanted to verify. What do you think of of the geared 1000W rear high-power #MAC500RkitHP (I think it is 6T?) on a Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc? Is it OK to run this on a 29er? Or should I stick with 26"? I live in New Orleans so there are absolutely no hills - but a few broken levees. Only flat bumpy roads. What sort of speed should I expect? I also have some 4s laying around to build 16s if necessary. Let me know what you think. Thanks again for all yalls posts!

Well, you should consider the 8T. On 12S, it should do a pretty solid 30mph constant, a bit more in a 29" wheel.

6T on 12S might be pushing it. You'd be doing 35+ mph, which is coincidentally close or over to the motor's constant power handling limit. 16S would get you over 40mph, which is enough power to blow the motor in a short period of time.

16S on the 8T in a 29" wheel would get you a bit over 40mph ( 41-42? ) which is OK for short jaunts , but again.. really pushing it!

By the way, hate to say this, but nothing accelerates like the pie. It hauls ass like a big crystalyte. The MAC has great power output for it's size.. but it may leave you wanting.

Thanks guy. Now that I look a little closer, I think I see what you are saying. You recommend 8T just because of my intention to run 12s correct? Cellman gives a warning of 48V on 6T, but gives a warning of 60V on 8T. I do want another Golden Motor like the 20" molded wheel you have, but that will have to wait for a differnt build. I also want to freewheel with the Rockhopper, putting the controller in batteries like you have in a bag and then just unplug it and remove it to ride the bike regularly.

I assume that the 8T does not come with a 7-speed attached and yall kinda went back and forth in the thread about which one is a good one. Can you recommend who I should get the 7-speed from? What about the torque arms - I dont think I have anyone around here than can custom make them.

Also, what do you think the shipping is approx. from cell_man to New Orleans? I sent him a letter, but as you know it takes a while. Thanks again man. You do us all a great service!

Back