Made the plunge.

geekybiker

10 W
I finally did it.
I ordered a 360w cyclone along with their 10ah LiFePo4 battery. I wanted the 500w originally, but concerns that it'd be too much motor for the 10ah battery, and a need to keep weight down since this is a commuter I'll need to carry everyday made me down grade a bit.

I'm excited to join the e-bike world. Hopefully it'll be here and I can install it by next weekend! Thanks for all the great info on this site!

Best of luck with the cyclone kit, use lots of loctite, if you
have a freewheel crank in your kit scrap the original freewheel and order a ENO to replace it
from Sickbike parts asap ...

KiM

recumpence said:
You should find someone near you to ride with and exchange ideas with.

Where are you at?

Matt

Chicago. IIRC there are a few people on here from there.

AussieJester said:
Best of luck with the cyclone kit, use lots of loctite, if you
have a freewheel crank in your kit scrap the original freewheel and order a ENO to replace it
from Sickbike parts asap ...

KiM

Yah, I've heard. It's on my to-do list. Hoping that it'll last at least a couple weeks though.

geekybiker said:
recumpence said:

Where are you at?

Matt

No way! I am in McHenry, about 50 minutes from you. Small world!

Shoot me a PM if you want to swing by sometime. :)

Matt

geekybiker said:
recumpence said:

Where are you at?

Matt

So your in Chicago......In the actual city or in the burbs? I'm in Wayne about 30 miles west of downtown Chicago (close to Elgin and St. Charles). I have 2 360 Cyclone setup and 2 Currie bikes too. If your in my area and need help let me know.

PS.... I have been running ht e original crank freewheels for 2 years so I wouldn't worry about them to much. Just be sure the side cap is tight before you install it. And as you were told glue your screws in but be sure you have all the adjustment right before you do it. Be sure to caulk the wiring where it exits the motor too. Bob

I also run a 360w cyclone; but 20AH of Lifo Iron ph.

Yes, seal where the wires exit the motor. I get great hill climbing and 23mph top end. The ebike really likes to cruise at 18.5mph.

Good choice.

d

dumbass said:
So your in Chicago......In the actual city or in the burbs? I'm in Wayne about 30 miles west of downtown Chicago (close to Elgin and St. Charles). I have 2 360 Cyclone setup and 2 Currie bikes too. If your in my area and need help let me know.

PS.... I have been running ht e original crank freewheels for 2 years so I wouldn't worry about them to much. Just be sure the side cap is tight before you install it. And as you were told glue your screws in but be sure you have all the adjustment right before you do it. Be sure to caulk the wiring where it exits the motor too. Bob

Both really. I work in the City, commute with Metra and take the bike. The plan is to use the ebike to get from OTC to my place of work in the south loop and not end up a sweaty mess. I live in prospect heights. That's 294 and Willow/Palatine about.

I'll give it a good whack. Good to know I have people close with experience with this kit. I'm pretty good mechanically- I installed cams, turbo kits, clutches, etc on cars. Its electronics that I'm fairly new to.

cool stuff. we'll need some pics though lol.

funny you mention 10ah not being enough battery. i'm actually using 2 bosch fatpacks for a total of 4.4AH at 36V, lol. gave me a range of about 5 miles.

reload said:

funny you mention 10ah not being enough battery. i'm actually using 2 bosch fatpacks for a total of 4.4AH at 36V, lol. gave me a range of about 5 miles.

It was more about pulling 4C from the batteries that had me worried. I only need about 5 miles range, but the 10ah pack gives me some wiggle room and the 360w vs 500w won't be as hard on the pack. Less sag, less chance of overheating, etc, etc.

I can't believe a 500w motor would strain most any battery. The 360w will be okay on the flats, but if you have any sort of hill, you will definitely be pedaling up them too.

geekybiker said:
reload said:

It was more about pulling 4C from the batteries that had me worried. I only need about 5 miles range, but the 10ah pack gives me some wiggle room and the 360w vs 500w won't be as hard on the pack. Less sag, less chance of overheating, etc, etc.

i wondered about that myself but the packs didn't seem to be bothered by it. but yeh it definitely isn't a great idea to strain two batts like that. i have a couple more packs that i'm gonna add once i get a new case for 'em.

veloman said:
I can't believe a 500w motor would strain most any battery. The 360w will be okay on the flats, but if you have any sort of hill, you will definitely be pedaling up them too.

Not if he is running it as recommended i.e through the bikes gearing, he could get up the side of a house
in granny gear without pedal assist, the beauty of non frock motor setups, we get to utilise gearing
to keep the motor in it speak performance range :)

KiM

AussieJester said:
veloman said:

Not if he is running it as recommended i.e through the bikes gearing, he could get up the side of a house
in granny gear without pedal assist, the beauty of non frock motor setups, we get to utilise gearing
to keep the motor in it speak performance range :)

KiM

Yup. In first gear I bet I'd run out of traction before I'd run out of power. I mean we're still talking 3x what I can reasonably pedal, and it peaks at 500w.

I took pics of the un-boxing.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geekybiker/sets/72157623904846270/

You can see how the battery pack is put together, and how its all packed.

Back