Methods 100V 100A Programmable Regen Controller

hi
I knew you were starting this thread but it has taken a while to find it.
That "3 speed" switch is nothing new I have been useing it since I started using the infineons, on my 16 inch train folder using a low setting is the only way to stop wheel spin even at 36v on a front bafang, very little weight over the wheel does not help, once going I can use what setting I like.
It's good to see you selling a finised product now methods instead of the kits I can only do the kits in the UK but will keep on stocking those, I have now found out that the cruise control switches will work with the infineon controllers.

Keep up the good work.

Geoff

methods said:
Added notes to the first page about the 3 speed switch.

That thing is AWESOME because it is really a THROTTLE governor, not a SPEED governor which means you basically now have variable current limit on your bike!

It can be switched in real time while you ride too - unlike the reverse for which you must stop first.

-methods

Patrick,

Good work.

Is this limiting motor current or battery current, or is it scaling the throttle input?

Nick

other things i wonder is .

1. is this a limited run or do you plan on making the controller for ever? because right now i cant afford it and i am waiting on repairing my phoenix brute wheel (broken spokes) using a new method mentioned on the ebikes.ca web site.

2. can the controller work on a 48 volt system (can the internal lvc be disabled in favor of an external lvc don e by the fechter/gooddrum bms?

3. what is the programming specs right out of the box (will it need an inital programming to work)? + i dont have very good access to a pc (hopefully someone will reverse engineer the software and write a mac version or a web page based version).

Tiberius said:
Patrick,

Good work.

Is this limiting motor current or battery current, or is it scaling the throttle input?

Nick

The switch re-scales the throttle input and as a side affect limits the speed and current. So setting the switch to 50% will double the resolution of the throttle. Full throttle will now be 1/2 tops speed and half throttle will now be 1/4th speed.

Really is much better than a simple "3-speed switch".

As Geoff said - he wrote of this "3-Speed" mode in the Infineon long ago. If you review his documentation in the Technical Reference Area you will see that you can use the switch in 2 modes: 1 mode allows you to change settings on the fly. The second mode will allow you to "lock in" a selected value on power up.

-methods

ejonesss said:
other things i wonder is .

1. is this a limited run or do you plan on making the controller for ever? because right now i cant afford it and i am waiting on repairing my phoenix brute wheel (broken spokes) using a new method mentioned on the ebikes.ca web site.

This is a limited run. I will stop at any time - maybe 10 more. Maybe 20 more. Currently this is a lot of labor for me so dont count on it happening for ever. Either way - I am interested in this area so I will always be making something. BUT -> lets be clear that this is my hobby, not my source of income.

ejonesss said:
2. can the controller work on a 48 volt system (can the internal lvc be disabled in favor of an external lvc don e by the fechter/gooddrum bms?

The first 4 posts in this thread tell you everything about the controller.
I update those posts constantly.
Please review that area to see the 50V / 100V switch info
There is a switch inside the controller that will allow you to switch from the "100V range" to the "50V range".
As far as LVC -> Nobody running modern batteries should be depending on a pack level LVC. That is an old Lead Acid remnant. Everyone MUST do cell level LVC and YES -> Gary/Fechter BMS will plug right into the ebrake, throttle, or CC input to shut down the controller.

ejonesss said:
3. what is the programming specs right out of the box (will it need an inital programming to work)? + i dont have very good access to a pc (hopefully someone will reverse engineer the software and write a mac version or a web page based version).

See the first page. I leave the controllers programmed with the "testing" script.
This is 110% speed, minimum LVC, Maximum Current limit, Regen Enabled to maximum, etc.
You should be able to use the controller right out of the box.

But... er.... you write an awful lot of posts for someone who does not have access to a PC :?

-methods

EDIT -> Oh - I get it - you are a MAC guy. Ok :wink:
You can emulate the PC cant you?

since it is a limited run is there going to be some diy like the fechter/ggoodrum bms is so later i could get the blank boards and order the parts? or a list of mods so the existing crystalyte controller from electricrider could be modified.

methods said:
(Quote Removed - M)

Ejonesss - if you are responding just below a post you dont have to Quote. It takes up lots of space :) I removed your quote.

I hate to break the news to you Ejoness, but I have been selling these kits for months.
I sold 35 of them but there are none left now.
I will ONLY be selling built controllers now.

When I was selling kits though there were *no* instructions though so..... I dont think you would have liked the kit.

-methods

will any the mods work with the stock 4840 controller from electricrider?

if so it looks like i may be able to get some of the features in the mean time.

This is an Infineon type controller.

Go read this thread Version 2 Crystalyte mods if you want to modify that thing.
I modified one of those to do 100V 100A like 2 years ago.

-methods

BTW -> Just so as that we are clear -> I am shipping now.

-methods

methods said:
This is an Infineon type controller.

then why does your pictures indicate that it is crystalyte? (unless Infineon uses the same size enclosure and board size).
-methods

The board inside is made by the same company that produced the boards that we dubbed "Infineon"
Kenny at Crystalyte chose to use this board for his 18 fet controllers.
It is a Crystalyte and I bought them from Crystalyte.

As far as I know the rest of the Crystalyte lineup are made by a different manufacture.

Easy way to tell:

Infineon = Green and yellow

Crystalyte = white

(generally)

-methods

EDIT: By the way - there is no such thing as an "Infineon" controller. Just random controllers that happen to have an infineon chip on the board that is in the controller. It is a point of confusion for many... made much more confusing when they stopped using Infineon chips and started using XIE... :roll:

So was the 48V controller I bought from the Maxwell group buy this summer the same type you have there and modifiable or is it the other Crystalyte V.2 model ?

I am not sure what you are referring to in the colors Green Yellow and White ?

Did you buy a 12 fet or an 18 fet?

Did it have 4110's?

If it was a 12 fet then it is not compatible - but it is compatible with all the mods in the link I posted above.
If it did not have 4110's then it is not really worth the work IMHO. Removing 18 fets is a real bitch.

The controller I start with is similar to the 18 4110 version that he was selling.
Major difference being that I am running 10AWG cable.

By the colors I am talking about the board inside.

-methods

now to think about it mine is 12 fet version so i am not sure what it is not compatible with .

i happened to have a picture of it from when i opened it up and the board is white however i am not sure what chipset it uses without having to open it up.

update: i just got to looking at the thread on that controller and it looks like it is the cypress chipset so i am not sure not now much of the mods are compatible.

where can i buy a Infineon based 4840 controller?

methods said:
Did you buy a 12 fet or an 18 fet?

Did it have 4110's?

If it was a 12 fet then it is not compatible - but it is compatible with all the mods in the link I posted above.
If it did not have 4110's then it is not really worth the work IMHO. Removing 18 fets is a real bitch.

The controller I start with is similar to the 18 4110 version that he was selling.
Major difference being that I am running 10AWG cable.

By the colors I am talking about the board inside.

-methods

Has anyone listed a brakdown of what every thing meens in the programing software? You 18 fet example has numbers I can't find a place for in my software as well I cant figure out how to reprogram LVC for when I do the r12 mod.

Arlo1 said:
Has anyone listed a brakdown of what every thing meens in the programing software? You 18 fet example has numbers I can't find a place for in my software as well I cant figure out how to reprogram LVC for when I do the r12 mod.

What? Come on dude, are you drunk? :p
You know what happens when you ask about things that are right on the first page of the thread dont you :shock:

First - we are using the same software so.... If your software does not look like the screen shots I posted then it is the wrong software. What software are you using and what numbers cant you find a place for?

Second - I completely spelled it out - everything you need to know - I even put a lookup table so that you would not have to calculate it yourself !!! :?

Both are right here: spood fed

Sheesh - lead a horse to water :mrgreen:
When I was a young lad they would make us search for our answers... both ways... up hill in the snow!
Teach a man to fish and all that ....

file.php

Here is a quick look-up table to help those who are not so math inclined.
(CHECK THESE NUMBERS - NOT TESTED)

Desired LVC Number to enter
20 V 24 V
21 V 25.2 V
22 V 26.4 V
23 V 27.6 V
24 V 28.8 V
25 V 30 V
26 V 31.2 V
27 V 32.4 V
28 V 33.6 V
29 V 34.8 V
30 V 36 V
31 V 37.2 V
32 V 38.4 V
33 V 39.6 V
34 V 40.8 V
35 V 42 V
36 V 43.2 V
37 V 44.4 V
38 V 45.6 V
39 V 46.8 V
40 V 48 V
41 V 49.2 V
42 V 50.4 V
43 V 51.6 V
44 V 52.8 V
45 V 54 V
46 V 55.2 V
47 V 56.4 V
48 V 57.6 V
49 V 58.8 V
50 V 60 V
51 V 61.2 V
52 V 62.4 V
53 V 63.6 V
54 V 64.8 V
55 V 66 V
56 V 67.2 V
57 V 68.4 V
58 V 69.6 V
59 V 70.8 V
60 V 72 V
61 V 73.2 V
62 V 74.4 V
63 V 75.6 V
64 V 76.8 V
65 V 78 V
66 V 79.2 V
67 V 80.4 V
68 V 81.6 V
69 V 82.8 V
70 V 84 V
71 V 85.2 V
72 V 86.4 V
73 V 87.6 V
74 V 88.8 V
75 V 90 V
76 V 91.2 V
77 V 92.4 V
78 V 93.6 V
79 V 94.8 V
80 V 96 V

What settings do you have questions about?
Here is some documentation for older software that should answer most of your questions:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=15757

-methods

P.S. You know you are just supposed to "Import" those settings I emailed you right???

You dont want to go through them and manually enter the data :mrgreen:
That would suck.
Just click "Import" and point at the file.
Everything will auto-populate. :wink:

Also - for those not in the know - he has one of the 18 fet DIY kits - so his situation is slightly different than that of someone who buys a full up controller
(i.e. he gets his butt kicked for not doing his own research :mrgreen: .... the DIY part ! )

-methods

Yeh yeh yeh mister I can't wheely :p Ok so
#1 I was using notepad to open the data then manualy entering the data I will try directly loading it.
#2 I herd you have to reset the LVC to coraspond with the adjustment you make to r12 in terms of % but how do you program LVC? I don't see the setting in the software
#3 There is alot of settings I may like to play with like for eg. what does "converse speed%" meen?
and I don't understand what most of the seetings meen in the "Time/others" catagory.
Make fun of me all you want but I will take you in a drag race! Or maybe not I just ate a bowl of icecreem! :wink:

EDIT: Thanks stator I thought I saw that someware a few months ago. Thats alot of what I needed.
EDIT#2: I was reading Halt voltage on the settings as Hall voltage lol so no wonder I could not figure out LVC :oops:

thanks

update: i am in talks with e crazyman looking for an 18 fet version that will take the mods ok.

unfortunately it is a shenzhen controller not exactly a crystalyte infineon based controller. so i am worried that the mods may not work.

does the controller have room enough for 18 fets?

i guess the boards you are using are special ones but the price i cant go wrong.

although china sources i am less than thrilled because it means international shipping and signature required ( i have missed packages and almost had them go back because i was out for the few minutes during delivery).

do you know of any american dealers that carry them?

thanks ejonesss

Arlo1 said:
Yeh yeh yeh mister I can't wheely :p Ok so

Ok - you have everything figured out now?
Converse is Reverse.
Most of that stuff wont matter since you probably did not wire for it.

P.S Can too wheelie :oops:

-methods

REALLY
Really.......
I blew ANOTHER X5 last night :?

Temperature was only 130C - totally fine
I was doing my little pattern in the front lawn - over the hill, down the driveway, over the curb, big sliding skid, full blast back up the dirveway, wheelie on the hill... POP. PoP POP.

Neighbor kits say that there were sparks coming out of the air holes in my motor.
Disconnected the controller to eliminate that variable.... Shorted phase wires. :evil:

This time I think I actually popped that X5 with brute current. It was not a meltdown deal.

Whatever :roll:
Maybe when I take it apart it will be at the solder board inside or something easy.
For now - I am on the wifes bike again.

-methods

Hey man I want to know what happened to it. I am pushing my just as hard, my only advantage is I have a cooler climate. I don't want to go over the handle bars or end up on the other side of the city with a seized rear wheel on a heavy ass bmx!

Back