• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

microwave died, any parts i could use?

wojtek

100 kW
No heat but otherwise normal operation - the light, fan, timer - all works but no heat!? :(

I guess id better buy a new one then service it...

But maybe i can take out some parts for other use? :)

You do know that the part that has died is only about 50c to replace - right?

Its only the HV fuse - it sits in line with the high voltage lead to the diode and capacitor.

if everything works, it could be the fuse or even a loose wire on the transformer or to the cap. the cap could be bad too but not as likely. fix it. except they use the special torx screws with the pimple in the hole for the cabinet. safety design.

I have seen a few of the magnatrons from microwaves utilised in DIY arc welders
i'm all for DIY but when a arc welder can be bought new for under a hundred dolllars
(wire fed for 50 bucks more!) v's the dangers (if you don't really know what your doing) building your own
i would look for other safer DIY projects...personally.

KiM

I checked the HV fuse. it is good....

heathyoung said:
You do know that the part that has died is only about 50c to replace - right?

Its only the HV fuse - it sits in line with the high voltage lead to the diode and capacitor.

check for an interlock in the power to the transformer on the wiring diagram and see if it is possible the interlock associated with the door is open even when the door is closed. i had no power at all on the one i took apart so you already have a good start if the fan and timer runs.

AussieJester said:
i'm all for DIY but when a arc welder can be bought new for under a hundred dolllars
(wire fed for 50 bucks more!) v's the dangers (if you don't really know what your doing) building your own

KiM

I agree but where do you buy mig welders that cheap, my old italian 160 amp sip stopped feeding wire some time back but it cost me over 500$

dingoEsride said:
AussieJester said:

KiM

I agree but where do you buy mig welders that cheap, my old italian 160 amp sip stopped feeding wire some time back but it cost me over 500$

The 160amp mig welder i used to build three and a half e-bikes cost $au175 bought on ebay (buy now price)
They are cheap garbage but for the handy man that does half a dozen welding jobs a year they are
great... Point being, for a little more you can buy a welder thats many times better than anything
the average 'joe' could knock up in the backyard shed...imo

KiM

Back