• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

motor cutting out over bumps

headwind

10 W
Hi,
My Bafang hub motor has started cutting out for an instant over even the smallest bumps (such as the joint between concrete pavers). It then cuts back in immediately, sending a jolt through the bike. Has anyone else had this problem? Or can suggest a likely cause?

Thanks.

That's definitely going to be a problem in the wiring, one plug or another loose, cut wire, or a broken wire hidden under the insulation. something like that.

^This. I would start with your throttle and its wires as the most likely culprit. Generally when a phase or hall wire is that loose you are going to see other symptoms as well or the controller will shut down until repowered.

cycleops612 said:
Obvious, but JIC, diagnosis can be simplified by simulating bumps in the work shop.
Thanks. I wish I had a proper workshop! :? Instead, I had to rig up something dodgy in my living room, taking care not to scorch the carpet when dropping the spinning wheel onto the floor :oops:

Anyway, despite sounding and feeling like a mechanical problem, I think you guys were correct about the wiring. The plastic casing on a bullet connector had come loose, so I think this was shorting out. Since fixing this I've been pounding over bumps without a problem, touch wood!!

I had this exactly same thing with my DD motor for months. I tried to figure out what it was and finally today found out.
My PAS wire from the crank was shorting on bumbs. I re-wired it today and problem is gone.

Back