Mounting Turnigy Watt Meter

Well, my watt meter has the tabs soldered up great.. so I went ahead today and tried to redo the shunt end of things. Resoldered, tested, same thing. Either 157amps continuous or hovers around a few amps (weird that the amp readings slowly go up even if I hold everything still)

About time to give up, spent hours and hours trying to make this thing work but it seems futile. I'm wondering if I just moved everything back to stock if it would start working again.

iovaykind said:
Well, my watt meter has the tabs soldered up great.. so I went ahead today and tried to redo the shunt end of things. Resoldered, tested, same thing. Either 157amps continuous or hovers around a few amps (weird that the amp readings slowly go up even if I hold everything still)

About time to give up, spent hours and hours trying to make this thing work but it seems futile. I'm wondering if I just moved everything back to stock if it would start working again.

Sorry to hear that :-( Think i mentioned i treied redoing the shunt end on mine ended with 135amp showing continuously...Dunno if mentioned i tried my old Drain Brain on the shunt and that read correctly :-| Shull
pop open the meter today and check the pads i dont think i soldered them up like shown previous page pretty sure i just soldered the wire on the edge of the pads will report back ...

KiM

I moved everything back to stock today.. don't have a way to test it yet (really don't feel like hardwiring it into my setup, in case it doesn't work would be a waste of time. I think I'm gonna try to see if it works for charging, that'll be a good way to test, well be right back!

edit:
operation back to stock is a no go. anyone want a turnigy watt meter that is now a volt meter? :lol:

Bugger that sucks ballz, i wonder what went wrong iovaykind? I tried covering the pads in the meter
with solder like shown previous page, didn't make a scrap of difference meter still reads 135amp
looks like i gt me a Turnigy volt meter too hahaha...Going to hook the old Drain Brain up to the
shunt least that reads pretty correctly, well least not 135amp all the time hahaha...

KiM

Lol not sure what went wrong quite honestly.. I thought that putting it back to stock would make it work. My soldering skills are there too, so that can't be it. Something must've happened while moving the shunt out. Who knows, could be a number of things. Can't even use it as a volt meter as my second bike build will be over 60v :(

Hya, did the mod also but i managed to end up on 137.43 amps too :S

this is how mine is soldered, at first i tried it on 12v battery and it worked, then i soldered it to big manly heavy wires on battery pack and got my 137,

I did put a lot of heat in it when messing with the big wires, is it possible i ruined the shunt? It doesnt have any solder running from sides or under it, only the pad parts are with solder

Also there was a spark on the remote end once cos i was trying to use 2.5mm jack with its three channels to use as a plug on batterypack but those run too close when connecting. Dont think this spark could mess anything up in the meter, voltage is still correct.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I have a question for you.

izeman said:
SamTexas said:
Thanks. Beautifully executed. I guess your next task is to make it rain proof.

hey. i'm an pussy. i don't ride when it's wet :) no really.
So you are no longer a pussy? Just kidding. I like your new in-frame battery bag.

SamTexas said:
I don't have an answer to your question, but I have a question for you.

izeman said:
SamTexas said:
Thanks. Beautifully executed. I guess your next task is to make it rain proof.

hey. i'm an pussy. i don't ride when it's wet :) no really.
So you are no longer a pussy? Just kidding. I like your new in-frame battery bag.

DAMN! the internet never forgets anything *ggg* call me IZEman, the guy formerly known as pussy :)

i had a wonderful ride some days ago. it was snowing a bit and roads where icy, but i was great fun. but for now i call the season closed and start upgrading/improving my build. the bag is REALLY great - it's almost perfect, and the remote wattmeter would add great to that. i don't know of those bags are sold in USA ...

You Europeans are brave! I'm totally spoiled. When the temperature drops below 20C, I quit biking. When I was living in Boston, the only thing I enjoyed during the winter was downhill skiing. I hated everything else.

SamTexas said:
You Europeans are brave! I'm totally spoiled. When the temperature drops below 20C, I quit biking. When I was living in Boston, the only thing I enjoyed during the winter was downhill skiing. I hated everything else.

it was 2°C PLUS ;) i saw a documentary about russia yesterday. their record was -72°C = -98°F !!! but they don't bike at those temp. but school closes when temp hits -55°C.
i guess "my car didn't start" is still an excuse over there if you get to work late.

i can't separate the display from the mainboard. any tips for me? it seems solder filled all the through holes. it's impossible to suck it out. i tried desoldering pumps and desoldering wick. i don't want to put more stress on the board - i'm afraid the conductive pathes may desolve :(

I found this one on Ebay, so I've orderes one to see what it does. I'm thinking that it might be possible to remotely mount the display.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160642323746?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Ooh that one uses a hall effect sensor to measure the curent (instead of a resistor). Nice find.

did the mod. was quite easy. don't try to remove the display. this is really hard work :)
just pry the two boards a bit apart. it won't get damaged. just enough to reach in with the desoldering wick. and take care that the solder don't flow INSIDE the board, so turn it upside down.

i will try to make it waterproof and post pictures if i'm sucessfull.

I did the Jeremy mod some time ago and it worked very well. In the meantime I have upgraded my controller to a Lyen modified 12-FET Infineon controller with CA output. Does anyone know if this output can replace the external shunt and feed the Turnigy meter directly? If so then I would have a more correct reading of the power consumption and amperage to the motor. Any advise would be appreciated.

One thing I have noticed since doing this is that the readings on the handlebar mounted meter do not match the reading on the meter I put between the charger and battery when I charge. The one on the bars shows lower wh than the one on the charger. Any ideas what could be causing this. Due to being a recumbent with the battery in the back, my shunt wire is pretty long. Can this have an effect on the reading or is it maybe a trim pot setting that needs to be adjusted?

StudEbiker said:
One thing I have noticed since doing this is that the readings on the handlebar mounted meter do not match the reading on the meter I put between the charger and battery when I charge. The one on the bars shows lower wh than the one on the charger. Any ideas what could be causing this. Due to being a recumbent with the battery in the back, my shunt wire is pretty long. Can this have an effect on the reading or is it maybe a trim pot setting that needs to be adjusted?

Did you recalibrate the meter, as per the earlier advice in this thread? They are often out, all of mine needed adjustment to get them to read correctly. See here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21976&start=15#p350612

If the one on the bars is exclusively used for discharge, and the one showing higher Wh is exclusively for charge, it is probably simply that it takes at least a little more power to charge the batteries than you get to actually use out of them.

If there is a balancing BMS in the pack, then there could be quite a bit more charging power used, as a lot is wasted as heat in the balancing resistors during the stage(s) where lower cells are being brought up to the voltage level of higher ones.

i found out that using too thin cables for the remote shunt causes wrong readings. the longer and thinner the cable is, the worse it gets.
unfortunately i have those watt meter w/o calibration resistor. after swapping the thin cable for a thicker one the difference in readings is neglectible.

Jeremy Harris said:
This is a timely question, as I'm part way through modifying a Turnigy watt meter to do just this, without needing to run the heavy battery leads up to the handlebars.

Here's how to do it:

1. Undo the four small screws that hold the Turnigy case together and remove the circuit board and display.

2. Unsolder the display from the main circuit board (the row of pins along the top). Use a solder sucker and get all the solder out of each plated-through hole, otherwise you won't get the thing apart.

3. Unsolder the heavy leads from both sides of the main circuit board and unsolder the big surface mount current shunt from next to where the two black leads were.

4. Get a length of thin, three core cable, long enough to go from your handlebars to the battery pack. This cable can be really thin, as it's only taking a few tens of milliamps at most. Connect this cable with one lead on each of the three pads where the thick leads used to be on the main board and note which is which (input negative, output negative and positive).

5. Refit the display board to the main board and solder each of the pins carefully. Put the boards back in the case, lead the three core cable out of one of the side holes and screw the case back together, making sure the display is the right way up.

6. Cut your thick negative battery lead and solder the shunt in the break. Solder the input negative and output negative wires from your three core cable either side of the shunt, making sure the input one is on the battery side and the output one is on the controller side.

7. Connect the positive wire in your three core cable to the battery positive, on the switched side so that it doesn't drain the battery when not in use.

You now have a remote shunt power meter, which is a heck of a lot more user-friendly on a bike than the original design, as you just have a thin cable running up to the handlebars.

There are some options you may want to consider. You can fit a tiny switch in the unused hole in the case, which allows you to turn the meter on and off without needing to disconnect the main battery (if you don't have a main power switch).

You may, if you are careful, be able to get away without unsoldering the display board. You can gently lift the main board up and, with care, you may be able to get a soldering iron in between the boards to remove the black leads and the shunt. Having now done it by removing the display and found where the parts are I think this option may be slightly better if you're careful not to splash solder anywhere.

Unfortunately I didn't take photos as I took the meter apart, but I'll try and take some of it nearly finished later.

*edit*

I've taken a couple of photos that may help. First off, this is the inside of the meter and the remote shunt. I soldered the shunt to a couple of Deans connectors so that it's a 'plug and play' unit. I added an on-off switch just because I had one handy that would fit (it needs to be pretty small to fit within the case)

View attachment 1

Here's a close up of the finished remote shunt, enclosed in heatshrink:

Jeremy

Did you reuse the orginal Turnigy SMD shunt and soldered to the battery negative lead?

Sorry for this question, my English is bad. So that's why I am asking to make it sure not blowing up something when doing this mod.

MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER said:
Did you reuse the orginal Turnigy SMD shunt and soldered to the battery negative lead?

Sorry for this question, my English is bad. So that's why I am asking to make it sure not blowing up something when doing this mod.

Your English seems very good to me, welcome to ES!

Yes, I did re-use the SMD shunt from the meter. I fitted it directly between the negative connections as you say.

MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER said:
Thanks for your help and very good Turnigy watt meter tutorial.

This mod will save me some money and it's fun.

Thank you, and good luck with your project.

Back