My ~12 year old Electric Scooter Project - BladeZ XTR SE

::looks at the pic::

Hey, if you want... Same guy I get batteries from has a skid full of headlamps from dead scooters... I evidently can have them for .10/pound, if you want 10 pounds or so lemme know, I will happily pick em up, test em and ship em your way as a thank you for being awesome.

Sounds kind of like this, where I made a "headlight" just for people to see me by (not much good for seeing with) out of the CCFL slide-scanner light unit of some old scanner. I used a similar unit on the rear first with a red gel and later replacing the CCFL with red LEDs, and with amber LEDs embedded in the ends of each one for turn signals.

Did a lot of other salvaged-stuff work on that bike, some of which went on (in spirit) to the next one, CrazyBike2.

https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/threads/amberwolfs-dayglo-avenger-mkii.15570/
View attachment 346243 View attachment 346244 View attachment 346245
Yup, exactly that idea. Don’t have a permanent location yet, but right no I’ve got it attached to the alternative motor mount holes. I’ve been wanting to add turn signals to it for ages as well, and actually have it all set up on my desk, but I haven’t bothered attaching it to the scooter since I was debating junking it.

79DE3B56-71F6-48FD-9A7E-D32DA0404317.jpeg
29C598AE-76A3-4540-9B76-6D014FAD6E98.jpeg3C77FAB8-779F-43D0-AAC9-4D953010A1A1.jpeg

::looks at the pic::

Hey, if you want... Same guy I get batteries from has a skid full of headlamps from dead scooters... I evidently can have them for .10/pound, if you want 10 pounds or so lemme know, I will happily pick em up, test em and ship em your way as a thank you for being awesome.
If there are any 24v ones I’d be interested in buying some, although I’m not sure how I’d coordinate ordering them (being a minor especially, I don’t know if my parents would be open to the idea of me giving a random man on some forums my address)

I believe these are all 12v, but pretty sure 24/2 is twelve in Florida too, I will grab a bunch when I am there next week and send along a couple. they use the weird little round plugs that are so common with a bunch of the otc bikes/scooters and stuff, the one I have I nipped that off and put a standard plug on.

Link to battery thread

The two batteries are in! It’s much happier with 2 in parallel than it was with 1 battery or the old SLAs. It doesn’t give me a yellow light as often outside of uphill acceleration which tells me there’s less voltage drop now. Range should’ve increased a bit to around 15 miles, but I haven’t gone that far yet. Acceleration feels better because it can maintain a higher voltage, but it could be my imagination. It’s still too slow though, going 15MPH at most downhill according to my phone. I’ll mess with the gearing at some point but it’s good enough for now. 4D2BA07C-AB08-4E47-86ED-C579662CAD90.jpeg734a1d6a-c046-428e-a491-a0d3e50e3fc8-jpeg.346567.jpeg
C20B4480-0F65-493A-B746-09CB3EF84354.jpeg
734A1D6A-C046-428E-A491-A0D3E50E3FC8.jpeg

Last edited:
Battery Hookup sent me a new one and paid for my return shipping, great customer support. I now have 2 functional batteries, however

the motor controller died. Lights don’t turn on and relay doesn’t click, although the light flashed a faint red after letting it sit and turning it on this morning. I’m trying to diagnose it but I’m not confident in my ability to fix it. If I can’t revive it I’ll either swap the controller for something else or give it an on-off switch instead of a throttle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Well, it’s not the worst idea I’ve ever had…
image.jpg
I have a feeling a cheap drill trigger isn’t meant for 30A, but only time will tell.

44D357F6-45BA-457D-A532-E7A21AAB743A.jpeg
It looks stupid and isn’t a permanent solution, but for now this works surprisingly well. It’s actually got regen braking now, I forgot some drills charge when you turn them manually. And it’s really strong regen too! It might not be going into the batteries and just shorting out a diode or something but it’s still neat to have. It even has a reverse and neutral now!

Last edited:
I tried a drill trigger with my lower-power-than-you-have friction drive(s) (built from radiator fan motors and rollerskate wheels) on DayGlo Avenger, and fried the trigger the first time I used it. A wall switch plate lasted a little longer but it's not meant for the DC arcing, so it welded itself after a few tries.

Not really on your topic, but if you're curious:

Next was a brushed controller from some cheap sit-down scooter from a thrift store, and fried that pretty quick, rebuilt it a few times and eventually got a working system, then used bigger fan motors in a differnet place to get them out of the way of my cargo rack:
1710465296117.png 1710465366246.png 1710465386483.png

eventually had to go to some much bigger FETs, still using the many-times-repaired scooter controller core wired to them
1710465445929.png 1710465466574.png

I tried a drill trigger with my lower-power-than-you-have friction drive(s) (built from radiator fan motors and rollerskate wheels) on DayGlo Avenger, and fried the trigger the first time I used it. A wall switch plate lasted a little longer but it's not meant for the DC arcing, so it welded itself after a few tries.

Not really on your topic, but if you're curious:

Next was a brushed controller from some cheap sit-down scooter from a thrift store, and fried that pretty quick, rebuilt it a few times and eventually got a working system, then used bigger fan motors in a differnet place to get them out of the way of my cargo rack:
View attachment 349170 View attachment 349171 View attachment 349172

eventually had to go to some much bigger FETs, still using the many-times-repaired scooter controller core wired to them
View attachment 349173 View attachment 349174
Trigger is still working surprisingly and only gets a little warm after a while. I might install a light switch like you mentioned in addition to the trigger for “safety”, I figure I won’t have to worry as much about it welding itself when it’s switching without any current going to it.

What fried on your wheelchair controller, the FETs? That might be what happened with the original controller in this scooter but I’m not sure. If I short two pins on one of the transistors it briefly sends a jolt of power to the motor. It wouldn’t surprise me if a transistor fried on mine since I was drawing more current than the “maximum”.

Nearly everything fried at one time or another in the scooter controller (wasn't a wheelchair, was just a crappy sit-down scooter; not sure I have a pic but I'll edit it in if I find one; was a LONG time ago). I had to do PCB repairs at least once to make it work; the FETs got moved outside the case (onto that heatsink in the posted pic) partly for heat and partly cuz they were so big they wouldn't have fit in the case.

Eventually I tried learning to build my own, and ended up with a 2QD (from 4QD.co.uk) PCB that I then built up from scrap parts and used for various motors on this and other bikes, and blew up repeatedly, but not as badly as the cheap scooter one. There's some info / pics / etc on the old blog The Electricle™ : Bicycle Electric-Motor-Assist Project from before I found this forum. Eventually I ended up with a Curtis golf-cart controller, before I finally went brushless hubmotors (because at this point the systems had so much torque that any derailment of the chain drives they were running destroyed too many bike parts--sprockets, chains, wheels, even my CrazyBike2's frame was being bent. (there's a long thread for that one's development)

Which two pins on the "transistor"? If it's a FET, there's a gate, source, and drain. Shorting S and D is like shorting across a switch; those are the two current-carrying pins. Gate is a tiny switch to turn the big one on, and shorting it to one of the other pins has different consequences depending on circuit design and which pin, etc. Can blow up the FETs doing that, too, and the gate driver (sometimes a chip, sometimes the MCU, sometimes a transistor).

On a brushed controller, shorting across S&D would run the motor until you take the short away, for a typical half-bridge 1quadrant cheap brushed design. A full bridge design would only run it if you shorted across both FETs, or one was already blown shorted on (most common failure mode of FETs) and you shorted the other.

Last edited:
Nearly everything fried at one time or another in the scooter controller (wasn't a wheelchair, was just a crappy sit-down scooter; not sure I have a pic but I'll edit it in if I find one; was a LONG time ago). I had to do PCB repairs at least once to make it work; the FETs got moved outside the case (onto that heatsink in the posted pic) partly for heat and partly cuz they were so big they wouldn't have fit in the case.

Eventually I tried learning to build my own, and ended up with a 2QD (from 4QD.co.uk) PCB that I then built up from scrap parts and used for various motors on this and other bikes, and blew up repeatedly, but not as badly as the cheap scooter one. There's some info / pics / etc on the old blog The Electricle™ : Bicycle Electric-Motor-Assist Project from before I found this forum. Eventually I ended up with a Curtis golf-cart controller, before I finally went brushless hubmotors (because at this point the systems had so much torque that any derailment of the chain drives they were running destroyed too many bike parts--sprockets, chains, wheels, even my CrazyBike2's frame was being bent. (there's a long thread for that one's development)

Which two pins on the "transistor"? If it's a FET, there's a gate, source, and drain. Shorting S and D is like shorting across a switch; those are the two current-carrying pins. Gate is a tiny switch to turn the big one on, and shorting it to one of the other pins has different consequences depending on circuit design and which pin, etc. Can blow up the FETs doing that, too, and the gate driver (sometimes a chip, sometimes the MCU, sometimes a transistor).

On a brushed controller, shorting across S&D would run the motor until you take the short away, for a typical half-bridge 1quadrant cheap brushed design. A full bridge design would only run it if you shorted across both FETs, or one was already blown shorted on (most common failure mode of FETs) and you shorted the other.
Source and Drain I believe, but as mentioned it was only doing that for a split second even if held in place. There’s 6 transistors and all of them seem to do that. I’ve pretty much given up on that controller right now though, the drill trigger is still holding up just fine. 848184F8-51C8-40A2-AD41-4DE8769BC29D.jpeg

I added a 3D printed enclosure to make the throttle look a little nicer, although it’s still pretty ugly. Uncomfortable to hold but it’s not sharp like the zip tie was

Back