My E-Bike and Problem with the Controller

dmccart4

1 mW
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone at Endless-sphere for all their help and advice with putting my Ebike together. My set up is,
36V20Ah Headway battery discharge - 60A continuous, 80A peak
5303 rear hub motor crystalyte
36v 20a controller crystalyte
View attachment 1
ebike2.JPG
Controller Problem
I was going up a hill the motor just stopped. The controller switch light flashes once when I turn it on and I've checked the battery using a multimeter and its fine. I've used it for about 30 miles.

I found this on ebikes http://www.ebikes.ca/troubleshooting.shtml
14.Fried controller mosfets
When controllers fail and you see a puff of smoke it is almost guaranteed to be a blown mosfet. There are two things which usually cause a mosfet to blow, #1 is too much voltage, and #2 is too much current. Unless you connect say 72V battery to a 36V-rated controller (usually has 55V rated mosfets), then it is almost certainly too much current that caused the damage. This will happen very predictably when smaller controllers are used with motors that have low winding resistance, say using a 36V 20A controller with a 5303 hub motor

Do I need to buy a more powerfull controller, fix the switch in the controller I have or something else?

that 36v20a controller is not doing the motor justice. 30a or more will liven it up a lot, as would higher voltage batteries.
And I would contact who ever you got the controller from to see if they will be willing to swap it out for a new one, or fix it.

Yup, I'm doing about the same thing, and the only thing saving my controller is that I'm stuck for now with 8 ah nicads. They sag enough to keep the controller current down, and no doubt are being murdered. When I get headways, I'll need to upgrade the controller too.

Back