need some help with turnigy SK6374-170

nieles

10 kW
hey.

i need some help..
i bought an Turnigy SK6374-170

i took it appart, because i want to make a flat spot on the shaft where the setscrews are (end of the motor)

but it looks like it is glued in place.
how can i get the shaft out of the motor?

also if you look at the pics you notice there is glue between the magnets at some places,
but not everywhere. is this for balancing the rotor or should i put some epoxy on the places where it is not glued

i hope you guys understand what i mean, my english isnt the best.

Attachments

• IMG_6079.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 1,308
  • Picture 003 (1).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 711
nieles,

I have taken apart two different models of Turingy motors and did not find any glue on the set screws or motor shaft. My set screws were not very tight. In fact one came out as I was using the motor. Once the set screws are out, the shaft comes out with just a little tapping with a punch and hammer. If it is glued together, then there is little chance that it would slip. You could mark the shaft and motor bell and then monitor it for slippage.

The epoxy on my magnets looks the same as yours. liveforphysics added some epoxy to the magnets on his Turingy.

Bubba

Often loctite green is used in the shaft to rotor connection with hobby motors.

However, you have a trick. The aluminum of the rotor expands at 3x the rate that the steel of the shaft expands. It depends on what type of Nd is used, but if you were to heat the rotor and not exceed about 120C, you should be safe. It will enlarge the hole, and soften the glue to enable you to more easily tap the shaft out.

I personally like to drill a recess for set screws to sit rather than use a flat spot. A flat spot allows things to slide, and it gives a strong mechanical advantage towards pushing on the set screw. A drilled divot in the shaft locates things on all axis', doesn't encourage the screw to back off, and doesn't weaken the shaft as much.

Clamp the rotor in a vise and use a drill press, pick a bit that just misses touching the threads, and drill divots into the shaft. Then put a drop of loctite on the screw, and set it home. Better secured, stronger, and you wont have to remove the shaft.

Best Wishes,
-Luke

well one of the magnets came loose.

i want to use jb weld to glue the magnet back in place, because it can withstand high temperatures
do you guys think jb weld will be strong enough?

also is there a trick to get the othter magnets lose? i do not want this to happen again
something like freezing it? this works with thermal epoxy.

Back