New 10s Electric Skateboard *Project Inertia*

Hightower

10 W
**Project Inertia**

Hello everyone! I’m somewhat new to the forums and have been lurking about, soaking up information like a sponge in an effort to create my first electric longboard. Being 32 with a sense of adventure (and too much time on my hands) I fell in love with the concept of an electric skateboard! However, the mechanical engineer in me knew there were going to be some hurdles to overcome.

My Goals:
-Able to easily accelerate a 220lb adult to top speed
-Able to reach speeds of 20-25mph on a 20% incline effortlessly
-Able to reach speeds of 30-35mph on flatland

Ultimately, I want to create a deck that was tuned just right for me, a thrill to ride, consistently reliable, able to go the distance, and at the same time try to focus on keeping costs down. Achieving all of these goals is going to take some balance, and some sacrifices will have to be made.

Parts List:
Deck: Earthwing SuperGlider (with grip tape)
Trucks: DIYElectricSkateboards 180mm Faux Paris RKP trucks
Wheels: DIYElectricSkateboards 83mm Faux ABEC 11 Flywheels
Motor: Single Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 6364 245kv 2700w Brushless Outrunner
Motor Mount: DIYElectricSkateboards 63mm truck-welded motor mount
Motor Pulley: DIYElectricSkateboards 14T, 16T, 18T
Wheel Pulley: DIYElectricSkateboards 44T
ESC: DIYElectricSkateboards 12s 120A ESC
BEC: DIYElectricSkateboards 12s UBEC
Tx/Rx: Fly Sky GT-2B transmitter/receiver
Batteries: 2x Turnigy 5s1p 5000mAh 20-30c (10s2p 5,000mAh)
Enclosure: Vaultz locking pencil box (Internal dimensions: 5.5" H x 8.25" W x 2.5" D)

This is where I thought the list was going to end….but more electronics were needed to hook it all up!

Switch: DIYElectricSkateboards blue illuminated on/off switch
Cables: 2x HXT 4mm series connector

How do I know how much battery I have left, current I’m drawing, and also….How do you (efficiently) charge multiple LiPo’s once they hit low voltage?

Wattmeter: Turnigy 130A inline wattmeter
Charger: iCharger 208B
Balance Board: 4mm HXT 2-6s parallel charging board
Power Supply: Hobby King 350w 100-120v power supply

All together including the deck, mechanical components, electrical components, charging equipment, shipping/tax and even the threadlock I used to secure everything, the entire build comes to $1,082. (Yikes!)

Things that I’d like to add:
-Two more 5s 5000mAh batteries for backup power
-90mm ABEC 11 Flywheels
-36T wheel pulley
-LED array

Notes on the Build:

I wanted a top mounted maple deck with a kicktail and a slight concavity to it. I went top mounted so that I’d easily be able to secure my “guts” under the board in an effort to keep it clean. Maple tends to be more rigid than bamboo, giving added stability when moving quickly. The slight curvature of the deck will help me dig into turns at speed, and also have the kicktail assist for even tighter turning radius at slower speeds. For my purposes, the Earthwing SuperGlider seemed the most suited for handling higher speeds as well as rougher terrain (Western NY is known for its 2 seasons…Winter and Construction). My next deck will be a similarly shaped, plain $40 deck.

I went with the 83mm wheels because I couldn’t wait for the vendor to stock the 90mm flywheels lol! I will be getting the 90’s in to see if I like feel and also test how the larger wheels will affect the performance of the board. I got 180mm trucks as they seem to be pretty standard in the eboard community. Obviously a wider base gives better stability at high speeds, but also increases weight.

I went with Torque’s motor mount because a welded mount has the potential to be stronger than other bolt/clamp methods. Skateboards undergo a lot of mechanical vibrations that slowly loosen screws, nuts and bolts. “That’s what threadlock is for, ya clown!” I agree, but the less threaded pieces, the better IMO. Also, it seemed cheaper to have Torque pre-fab that motor mount for me than get my grumpy drunk of a local welder (who never returned my calls) to do it.

It was important for me to get a handful of different pulleys, so that I could swap them out and find my ideal build. There are very hilly areas around me, but the city is also close and very flat. Maybe two different, interchangeable builds would be fun to play with depending on the scenario.

Choosing the motor was one of the toughest parts to this project. Everyone fears that they will burn up their motor after a week, or the opposite, fear that the motor will go ripping down the street without them! Enertion has a helpful video where they compared dual SK3 to dual 50mm, in similar test settings, and showed each motors strengths and weaknesses. The “winner” of their comparison was the 50mm, but not in my eyes. I plan to run a 10s battery setup which would push the SK3 into its ideal operating range, pushing it into a high speed/high torque performer. In the video, they were only using a 6s battery. With me being 6’4” and an average of 200lbs (220lbs with camera gear/backpack) a motor with some strength is needed. I never want to feel underwhelmed when riding my board.

As far as my electronics go…forward compatibility is important if you want to build something that you can easily make better. If I were to go with a 10s battery and a 10s rated motor, ESC and BEC and then wanted to upgrade to 12s…well it’d be expensive to replace the motor, ESC and BEC! With that in mind I went with the 12s ESC and UBEC from DIYElectricSkateboards.com even though I’m only pushing 10s.

When picking out my transceiver the Quantum immediately caught my eye due to its size compared to most of the others. After researching them more, I noticed that they suffered poorly from wear over time as well as many people reporting signal failure due to interference. With the dangers of falling in traffic, and face planting at 35mph, getting a rock solid signal is paramount to a transceiver and should be the number one priority in choosing one. The features should come second. For now, I’m going with the tried and true GT-2B. The only bad thing that I’ve ever heard about this Tx is that it’s too big. To solve that problem, I plan to remove the plastic casing and make a custom pocket sized enclosure for it. Details to come…

The batteries that I chose are two of the Turnigy 5s 5Ah LiPo’s. I’ll be wiring them in series to achieve a 10s1p 5Ah power source. I’m not sure if 5Ah will be enough capacity, but that’s what I’m going with for now. 2 of these are about a hundred bucks after shipping, so the cost of having “extra batteries” isn’t cheap. They do fit VERY nicely into the Vaultz locking pencil box with room for my other electronics and wiring. Whether or not I will actually use the pencil box as an enclosure in the final build is yet to be determined.

The switch could have been something as simple as a little black pushbutton…but what’s the fun in that?! The blue luminescent on/off button looks pro, and as long as your enclosure isn’t a plastic shopping bag, people will be impressed ;)! One of the included series connectors will be used to wire the batteries in series (duh), and the other will be used to connect the on/off button to the circuit.

I was nicely asked to leave a RC shop because I was there asking questions for over an hour and obviously wasn’t going to be buying anything from them, so I guess I don’t blame them. I don’t have much experience in the RC world, so sourcing all of these RC components was a bit of a learning curve. For example, I didn’t realize that Lipo’s need a specific type of charger. This isn’t your average rechargeable AA charger either…..oh no! It’s a sophisticated computer controlled charger which would be very familiar to an electrical engineer, but initially daunting to any beginning hobbyist. On top of that, the charger needs a power source, of which, Hobby King doesn’t sell the power cable to. So BE PREPARED to do some research! Unless of course you already know this stuff, then you should be balancing charges and supplying power like a boss. look at me talking about things like I know whats going on....

Anyways, that’s the build as-is. I’m still waiting for components to come in the mail so pictures are yet to come! Please let me know what you think. Any and all feedback is appreciated! I’d honestly like to know what people have to say about potential gearing options or ideas to ultimately make this build more fun to ride!

Thanks,
Hightower

Lots of respect goes out to Torqueboards for always having answers to my questions, and for helping me get from point A to Z with this build!
I also want to thank everyone on the Endless Sphere forums for being such intellectual contributors.

“Hard play is hard work; you’re just having too much fun to realize it.”

subscribed ! this seems to be a top notch build with nothing left to chance.

can't wait to see it progressing and seeing your future self made enclosure for the GT2B I started to shrink it :)

I'm sure your thread will be helpful for all the new people. Summer's coming up :)

How do I know how much battery I have left, current I’m drawing, and also….How do you (efficiently) charge multiple LiPo’s once they hit low voltage?

Ideally, I notice how far I'm supposedly able to travel with my packs and swap when it's easier. Ex. Swapping packs on a bench at waist high rather than swapping packs on the floor. I'd prefer to swap when it's easier and convenient for time and/or location.

I don't install a voltage meter or LED voltage read out. You can install any of the LED voltage meter's which you connect to your positive/negative cables to read out the voltage of your setup.

I rely mostly on my own thinking and/or I wait until my ESC low voltage alarm kicks in. Usually, this is when you try to accelerate and it doesn't want to go that far. This usually means your packs are low and you need to swap and/or charge. You can also feel your voltage and/or power drop once you get lower in pack capacity.

I do carry a battery medic on hand and/or a voltage meter of some sort. This allows me to check the packs voltage from the balance wires and know if the pack is really out of juice and I'll swap the pack.

Quantum Pistol Grip
The Quantum pistol grip IMO has less throttle range (not as precise) and also has a funky hold to it which makes it less comfortable.

I still don't understand the reasoning to make RC Transmitters big. I'm sure most of it is just dead space in the controller.

GT2B
Can't wait to see you remove the GT2B and make it into a smaller form factor.

LiPo Batteries
You missed a sale they had a few weeks back. 5S Zippy Flightmax 5S 20C for $27.79!!! originally about $40-$50/each. I bought 8 packs -- I just had too.

My favorite packs use to be (2) 3S Zippy Flightmax 5ah 20C for about $23 bucks.

My recent favorite is the 4S Turnigy 5ah 20C Hardpack $24/ea. It's a bit bigger in height but it's a lot cheaper and you get 2S extra voltage. Great deal!

On/Off High Voltage LED Switch
The On/Off High Voltage LED switch is awesome. Allows you to turn your board on/off while keeping the batteries plugged into your system overnight. Typically, from what I have read it's not safe to use the on-board on/off switch on the ESC's to turn your setup off. Also, you can't just use any regular on/off rocker switch. If you notice on the On/Off HV LED Switch it has it's own custom PCB.

I only have to remove my batteries if I need to charge and/or swap.

@okp I also can't wait to see what you're cooking up!

@Torque I can't believe I missed that sale!! I would have bought at least 4 more!!...such is life...

What else do you keep in your backpack other than a couple cold one....I mean wrenches, extra batteries and a voltmeter?

Also, do you find using a speed app, or something like Map My Run, or My Tracks better for logging speed data?

Some accessories I use;
I use a Nike RPM Backpack - I slipped these LED Strap Bands through the tactical lines from the top down. If it's real dark or real early I turn both of the lights on to be more noticeable.

I've also added Longboard Lights on the front of my board to also see and be more visible at night. I kept it separate from my main power source.

Maintenance Pack
My maintenance pack is pretty simple. I carry a metric hex wrench, skateboard tool, battery medic, esc programmer and my spare batteries. That's about it but we can actually travel pretty far on these boards and it sucks to get stranded about 1 or 5 miles out and if it's uphill or downhill to go back to your original location ---- it's a long walk.

I do have a small bag with extra set screws for the pulleys and a few extra belts if needed. Usually, never need them though. Better safe then sorry.

As for a speed app, I haven't used one yet. I've seen a few videos online of some people attaching a speedometer to their longboard with magnets. Pretty neat actually.

Great tips torque, it never hurts to be prepared!

I'll have to play around with different speed apps and choose the one that gives me the numbers that I want to see...

That's how it works right? I intend to see how far off my theoretical calculations are or if they match up with real world results.

In all seriousness though, I love the idea of looking down at the lip of my board and seeing a digital readout of my speed.

I wonder if you could use a similar system of magnets/coils to induce a current to power the display and other LEDS through the rotation of the wheels.

Subscribed. You have clearly done your homework. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
Can I ask about the kv and pulleys you've chosen?

Using this formula I've seen in other threads based on 12S, 245kv, and 83mm wheels with your biggest drive pulley your max speed is:

44/18=2.44
3.7 * 12 * 245 * (1/2.44) * (0.083 * pi) * (1 / 60) * 3.6 = 70 km/h (43mph)

That seems a bit high. Woudn't you rather have a lower kv so you can reach your target speed with a bigger drive pulley? I don't know what the drawbacks are to that - I imagine a bigger drive pulley is better for durability - as long as its diameter is lower than that of the motor.

I see the the SK3 6364 comes in a 213kv winding which would give you

3.7 * 12 * 213 * (1/2.44) * (0.083 * pi) * (1 / 60) * 3.6 = 61 km/h (38 mph)

I personally would not go even this fast, so I might choose the 168kv one:

3.7 * 12 * 168 * (1/2.44) * (0.083 * pi) * (1 / 60) * 3.6 = 48 km/h (30 mph)

and then look at using an even bigger drive pulley if possible to get a little speed back.

I just spent an hour writing a reply filled with calculations just for Chrome to force close on me.... So i'll just sum it all up...

@Agraham - Thank you for your interest in my build! I'm excited as well! lets take a closer look at the equations that you provided.
I have pages of similar equations here at home, but this smashes them all together nicely for our purposes.

Assuming 10s, 245kv, 83mm
36/18 = 2 ratio = 44.1 mph
36/16 = 2.25 ratio = 39.2 mph
44/18 = 2.44 ratio = 36mph
36/14 = 2.57 ratio = 34.3 mph
44/16 = 2.75 ratio = 32 mph
36/12 = 3 ratio = 29.4 mph
44/14 = 3.14 ratio = 28.1 mph
44/12 = 3.67 ratio = 24 mph

Assuming 10s, 245kv, 90mm
36/18 = 2 ratio = 47.8 mph
36/16 = 2.25 ratio = 42.4 mph
44/18 = 2.44 ratio = 39.2 mph
36/14 = 2.57 ratio = 37.2 mph
44/16 = 2.75 ratio = 34.7 mph
36/12 = 3 ratio = 31.85 mph
44/14 = 3.14 ratio = 30.4 mph
44/12 = 3.67 ratio = 26.06 mph

Edit: You can find and use these equations here : https://howtomakeanelectricskateboard.wordpress.com/2013/05/09/calculating-speed/
You will need excel to use the file. Just change the variables to your build and...boom!! Data all over your screen!

At a quick glance we can see that just from increasing the wheel size, from 83mm to 90mm, will give about a 2mph increase in speed. kinda...

It can also be observed that between the ratios of 2 and 3, there is approximately a 5 mph increase for every .25 increase in the pulley ratio. sorta..

SCIENCE!

The OD of 44T 5mm pitch wheel pulley is huge... its 70mm. This allows about 6mm ground clearance On 83mm wheel. Maybe less Depending on belt thickness.

honestly... the people who are using this size please say how many times is the teeth getting hit with rocks...?.

I suppose if you drive on pristine roads maybe there are no rocks...

Or if you never ride up driveways with small ground level changes

Or if your motor mount is the same height as pulley & has some ability to protect belt/pulley.. but then you mount is only 6mm from the road!!

My mounts have a wheel pulley bash guard which offers a ground clearance of 12mm ... & they always bash on stuff.. this is at the height of 36T pulley.

My new system (coming soon) will use even smaller wheel pulley to further increase ground clearance...

The only reason i designed my mounts with raised pulley teeth protection was because i kept smashing my wheel pulley teeth... which results reduce torque output and reduces belt life... & this was with 36t wheel pulley.

44t you must be crazy.

Thanks for the real world feedback onloop, do you happen to work with Enertion or are you just a supporter?

No matter how many equations you do, nothing compares to a real world application, so i appreciate your insight!

I'll be starting with the 44T/14T (28.1 mph) pulley setup as that's what comes standard in Torqueboards single-motor mount kit.

Then I'll be moving up to the 90mm (30.4 mph) wheels which should be restocked within the next month or so, giving me a little extra speed to work with.

If clearance is still an issue, and more speed is desired, i'll take it down to 36T/14T (37.2 mph) or maybe 36T/16T (42.4 mph) if i'm feeling ballsy enough lol.

Id like to hear if Torque has had issues with the 44T

44T for 83mm is quite big but I don't have too many issues with any rocks or potholes for that matter. With a 90mm motor it has even more clearance at 20mm.

To be honest, if your riding on the street you don't see any rocks.

If you do see any rocks they get kicked behind your wheels which is already away from my motor.

I've ridden over 1400+ miles and have never had to replace a drive wheel pulley. I purposely drive into smaller potholes on purpose.

I do agree with 83mm wheels the 44T does come a bit close. Ideally, with 44T you would want 90mm motors.

Unless, your riding in rocks. I highly doubt that would be an issue.

Anyhow, I'll replace any 44T pulley if anyone likes riding in rocks :)

i am enertion
- good to know! (Kind of sounds like a quote from the newest transformers movie, haha)

I really think you offer a nice line of products. I also like how smooth your website is, presentation goes a long way. Your designs are clean and practical, there's elegance in simplicity. Good work!

I've also learned a bunch from your tutorial videos. Your Sk3 (even though its not the same as mine) vs 50mm testing was especially helpful when choosing the right motor for me. Its really helpful to see these kinds of comparisons because everyone's purpose for building a board is different.

On a side note: I'm a big metal fan, I still jam on my custom guitar that I built 15 years ago, but for some reason the musical breakaways in your videos feel strange. I don't know if its the "walking" hammer on/pull offs or the sudden increase in volume. Maybe it's how it suddenly cuts in/out and it doesn't blend well, either way I pause it so the music stops or I just skim through those parts. I don't want you to feel like i'm hating, its hard to make everyone happy...I know, just trying to offer constructive criticism :D

Hopefully, the 44T and 83mm wheel clearance issue wont be that bad until I can upgrade to the 90mm. Otherwise I might unwillingly join the RockRiders club that torque is funding, lol

Time for an exciting update! I have 95% of my parts in and decided to do a quick shoot/write up of my experiences thus far:
P1080886.jpg

There's the majority of the items that I've purchased thus far. I've got to give it to DIYElectricSkateboards, they were the fastest to ship out of all of the different vendors that I used. I'm still waiting on series connectors from Niagara Falls, and I'm in Rochester (a 2 hour drive away) but they are from an ebay seller so I guess I should have known :roll: . Not pictured is the 350w Power Supply from Hobby King (east usa) that came quickly. I honestly didn't have a single bad experience with HK either, knock on wood! Even the motor that shipped from Shanghai only took a little over a week, surprisingly. They said It would take up to a month, YIKES!

P1080898.jpg

I have quite the selection of motor pulleys to play with!

P1080900.jpg

ABEC 9 bearings and included spacers

P1080902.jpg

130A inline Watt meter, which i probably won't use - "drive wheel retainer" aka fenderwasher with holes drilled in it - Motor mount bolts (2.5 mm hex)

P1080904.jpg

ESC Programmer - for all of your acceleration and braking needs ;)

P1080905.jpg

On/Off switch for the power contientious

P1080907.jpg

DIYElectronicSkateboards proprietary motor mount trucks. IMO the best truck design out there, mostly because they're the only trucks that come welded. This will provided unmatched strength vs clamp/bolt type motor mounts. Are they the lightest? Probably not. Do they come in various truck brands? Nope! Will they save you money on pulleys and belts in the future and provide for a smoother ride? Sure will!

And now is where I get to make fun of Torque for putting everything in sandwich bags!! I half expected a turkey sandwich to be at the bottom of the package with a special note, just like mom used to do. Hahaha, I am very grateful though, packaging supplies can be expensive, so I can sympathize.

P1080893.jpg

2 x Turnigy 5s 5000mAh 20-30c

P1080894.jpg

iCharger 208B and a not seen 350W Power Supply and a 6port balance board

P1080912.jpg

Multimeter kit on sale at Home Depot for $20!!! Can't beat that!

P1080909.jpg

The ridiculously huge GT2B and my Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 6364mm 245kv 2700W brushless motor!

P1080911.jpg

Truck hardware (1 1/4" or 1 1/2" would have been better), a cheap skatetool, and some 1/8" vibration dampening riser pads

I already went ahead and bolted the wheel pully to the wheel, but since my motor doesn't have a keyway I couldn't move forward from there...I'll have to make one tomorrow. First, I need to get a tungsten drill bit or a new cutting disc so that I can cut a slot on the motor shaft. For now, my kid and I have been riding around the house on it just as a longboard, it's so smooth!!!

Once the rest of my electrical connectors arrive and my battery medic :wink: , this build will be finished!! The next post should have footage of my first ride. Fingers crossed for some good weather!!!!

Edit: Anyone know why i'm having difficulties uploading pictures?

Awesome photos. Upload photos to http://www.postimage.org. Even your previous images you can post them on postimage.org and just take the "direct link" and use the "image tag" above the edit post box. That way everyone can see photos without having to click links :)

Now, your going to make me buy thicker sandwich bags that way they don't look like sandwich bags :cry:

What sandwiches should I put in my kits?

:mrgreen:

I put them in sandwich bags because it's easier for people to know what's what :) If I don't then you'll have 50 parts and can't find what. :D

Ahahaha well, I figured that I give you enough praise and it was time for a little ball busting! Honestly, I do like how organized it all was. Everything was nicely labeled and easy to identify without having to dig through the packaging.

You know when you get a quality product when not only the product is well thought out, but so is the packaging. My girlfriend is one of those people that gets excited over fancy packaging, so you can imagine what she had to say lol!

Lets face the facts though....the packaging gets recycled in the end, and the product is what you paid for.

As far as sandwiches go...I'll take a philly cheese steak, k thanks!

Oh and thanks for the heads up with the images. I'll go that route in the future!

So it's far from pretty, but the performance is amazing! I'm going to do a flat land distance test tomorrow.

i did get a chance to take some video though. let me know what you think:

[youtube]aoe-fTEu4ak[/youtube]

Thanks guys, everything seems to be running pretty smoothly. The motor did get loud on some of the steeper inclines, but I was only at maybe a 1/4 throttle. Which, in hindsight, probably wasn't the best for the motor, as that's when it pulls the highest amps. Maybe it's best to try to hit those steeper inclines with more initial approach speed instead of trying to crawl up it.

It's hard to tell in the video, but after I splashed through the puddle, everything was uphill until the parking lot.
After each run I felt all the equipment to see if anything was getting hot. Only the motor and the ESC were slightly warm. I don't think the electronics are in danger when hill climbing although, I wouldn't try to go full-bore up a long steep incline without monitoring your amp draw.

If I squeeze the trigger too hard the board wants to leap out from under me. I wonder if there's a way to PID the acceleration so that I get a smoother start but don't sacrifice my overall torque...

I also can't stand these tupperware containers....it's really bothering me how much wasted space there is...I need a more form fitting option while maintaining accessibility to the guts. A hobo board is not an option lmao!

I used a dremel to cut holes for the wires to feed through and sealed it up with silicone.

I also just went out and picked up some black matte spray paint. Its made for outdoor plastic furniture, so hopefully it works well. I am still looking for a smaller enclosure though.

Ill post a video of my distance run later today.

Back