New Bike Build ( Questions & Opinions ) UPDATED [hybrid]

Derekj118

1 µW
Hey guys, this is my first post but I am a long time reader of the site. Love the immense amount of great info and expert users on here. I am starting a new build with a new 26' Black Magic Vector ( Magic Pie 5 ) kit from Luna paired with a 52v 13.5ah Shark Pack with Panasonic GA cells mounted on the frame. I will eventually be purchasing a 52v Mighty Mini Cube Pack with Panasonic PF cells ( 6ah for extended range mounted on a rack ).
My bike now is a 26' hardtail Northrock XC6 ( Cheapo Frame ) with front suspension and a suspension seatpost. The motor is a MP3 Vector with torque arm combined with a 48V 10AH LiFePO4 Aluminum Cased Battery from GoldenMotor.CA . The battery has definitely done its job and lasted me a while, however I am finally starting to see some power loss and less range. Plus I hate the weight and bulkiness of the battery. My first question is regarding the frame. The frame is aluminum and everything I have read, stresses the importance of steel for high powered motors. I know the MP5 isnt necessarily high powered compared to some other motors out there, but I will be maxed out on the settings for speed and %100 regen on the brakes. The torque arm I use now is a universal arm fitted directly to the frame without any brackets needed. I have also purchased a large ( okay freakin huge! ) Crystalyte torque arm that I can use if needed, or they could be used together. The bike rides incredibly well, even at full speeds. It is also rather comfortable because the front fork suspension is decent paired with a good seat and suspension seatpost. I wanted to know your opinions on whether I should pursue purchasing a new bike for the build, or replacing many of the components on the current bike? I have a very low budget for the frame/bike itself ($150-$200). I could buy a cheap new bike, a decent used bike, or replace the shifters, freewheel, chain, derailleurs, and cables in the current bike. Please let me know in your opinion what you think is the best direction to take. Steel frame, aluminum, front suspension or full suspension, etc.. All thoughts and ideas are welcomed. Thanks for the help guys and let me know if anyone has additional questions! I posted up some pics of my current bike with the old motor and battery to give a better reference to evaluate.

Attachments

• IMG_20160816_173114-picsay.jpg
    IMG_20160816_173114-picsay.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG_20160816_173114-picsay2.jpg
    IMG_20160816_173114-picsay2.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 616
Welcome to the forum.

While your bike frame may be a cheapy, if you're comfortable with it and you find the fork to your likening, stick with it.

If you happen to find a good Used Kona, trek, Specalized, or Cannondale in your budget, upgrade. Otherwise, your budget isn't going to get you much better than the bike you already know you like.

Aluminum frames are fine for what you're doing. Steel is preferred, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with aluminum for the kind of bike you're building.

I've had really good luck with relatively inexpensive Shimano 8-speed drivetrain parts (Altus rear derailleur, and cassette about $20 each on Amazon) & $10 SRAM chain on both a mid-drive and rear hub.

Thanks for the info guys. Good to know about the frame and setup that im using. I am very happy with the feel and the comfort with the bike now. Most of my riding is done on the street, or very light duty off road trails. Good to know about the parts as well. Any suggestions as far as what types of gearing i should look into? I am open to anything, but I feel as if i never truly use all 21 gears currently equiped. Also, I have read mixed information regarding the regenerative braking capabilities of the luna packs and/or the internal BMS. I have seen a few people claim to have some sucess with the regen, while many have also claimed that they lost regen braking completely when they switched batteries. Do you have any accurate information regarding this? I would like to know because it will moderately effect my range. Also, even if the regenerative braking does not function, or works inefficiently, does that mean that I will lose motor braking function? My current setup now is a ratio of about 90% motor braking and %10 disc brakes so this is a very important detail.

Hey All! I just got done ( well %90 complete) my new build. I was originally goin to take the advice of most people and use my existing Northrock XC6 Bike and replace it with new components, new motor, and a new battery. I ordered a new 26' Black Magic 5 Rear Hub (Magic Pie 5) from LunaCycle. As always with Luna, the information, value, and cumstomer service was spot on! I paired the MP5 with a 52V 13.5ah Shark Pack with Panasonic GA Cells.

In the time that I was waiting for the motor and battery, I was at my Dad's house in the garage one day. I saw his Trek 7300 Hybrid 700c Bike that he had used for maybe a couple months when he was on a health kick a few years back. This beauty was hangin on the wall collecting dust. Knowing that it was not the correct I didn't get my hopes up too much. But I asked him what he was going to do with the bike and he responded, "nothing." So, needless to say, I ended up with a almost new Trek 7300 for FREE! My favorite kind of deal haha.

However, now I was faced with the issue of having a brand new 26' wheel laced with the new hub motor. I could have returned it and taken a small hit on the shilping fees and a heavy hit on the turnaround time to get the new motor. I also could have had the new MP5 re-laced into the proper 700c rim to fit the bik. That certainly would have been accompanied by a decent price tag.

As I was very close to giving up on using the Trek at all for an ebike setup, I decided to remove the rear wheel off of it and tinker around a bit. As soon as I got the wheel off, I was very suprised at how wide the rear of the bike was. Because the Trek frame is aluminum, I did not want to do ANY bending of the frame at all, as not to lower the integrity and the stregth of it. Many 700c frames tend to have narrower gaps in the rear due to the small width wheels they use. This frame though, was literally just as wide as my 26' Northrock Mountain bike frame. This got my creative juices flowing and the research began and "true hybrid Hybrid Electric Bike" build began.

In doing much reading and research I found that the overall diameter of the 700c and 26' wheels are not terribly far apart. Since I now knew that the 26' wheel laced with the motor would physically fit, how would the change the geometry, handling, and speed of the bike. I did more reseach on "Rolling Diameter" and came to the conclusion that if I chose appopriate tire sizes that this build will work. I decided to mount a 2.2 inche wide knobby tire on the rear 26' rim. On the front I chose a 35mm (1.378 inches) for the 700c rim in the front.

I am amazed at the handling and feel of this bike so far! The larger width tire with more "meat" gives amazing traction and handles shocks and bumps very well. The 700c wheel in the front also takes bumps suprising well and handles like a dream. The geometry of the bike is really something cool to feel. I can truly "feel" the read via the front and ride in complete comfort and safety due to the rear.

I will certainly have more pictures to come. I would also love to hear feedback from everyone!! I am also willing to answer any questions you may have about the bike or the build. :) Ride On!!

Attachments

• IMG_20160928_160511-picsay.jpg
    IMG_20160928_160511-picsay.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 293
Back