• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

New Hub Motor, for me.

johnnyfoos

100 mW
Hello-
I just got a new hub motor, from Amazon
Geared, 36 Volt 500 Watt.
The only info on it:
"WJ36V500W191021014-26 * "
* = some weird fish hook looking mark that isn't any thing I've seen before ?
Being that this is my First NEW , and GEARED hub motor.
I don't know much about them,
So if anybody has any info about this unit please let me know.
I'll be trying to lace this into a 20" rim,
So,
ANY help on what I'll need or need to know-
PLEASE
give me some clues:
what size spokes?
a good source for them ?
and any advice.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!

PS:
what I do know-
30 + mph :bolt:
is very scary on a 12" front wheel, !! :shock:

13 gauge or 13/14 gauge spokes
use brand name spokes, like Sapim

www.ebikes.ca you can get spokes from, even rims not sure about 20" though.

Lacing a hub motor/wheel
https://www.ebikes.ca/learn/wheel-build.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OialWggZJo&pbjreload=101

Don't forget installing torque arms
https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/torque-arms.html

THANKS-
Markz !

Well-
"Spoke Calculator"
Wants info I do not have or know ???
That is part of why I'm posting this here-
Trying to get something about this little hub motor
like:
Brand ?
If it is any good ?
Am I waist n my time and money ??

ALL I have about it I posted
That #
and the-
36 Volt, 500 Watt, geared

That is all folks.

THANKS

PS:
I know about "Torque Arms"
I am using some on my:
"Hot Wheels/Electric Punk"
DIY Custom Fishing Scooter
That is making me rethink
and NEW Build, Something
A lot safer !
@
30+ mph :( :( :( :(
8)

You only need to know the motor’s and rim’s physical dimensions to calculate spoke lengths:

Spoke hole pattern diameter
Axle center to left flange distance
Axle center to right flange distance
Spoke hole diameter
Number of spokes
Effective rim diameter
Lateral hole stagger, if any

Once you have all these data, you can plug them into the Grin Technologies spoke calculator, or any other spoke calculator.

If you don’t know what hub motor you have, or if it’s an unfamiliar model, you will have to measure it directly.

P.S. -
I checked out the Amazon listing, and found this diagram:
51-dLFuACsL._AC_SX679_.jpg

So the hole pattern diameter is 128mm, and you can use 26mm for the center-to-flange dimension on both sides. Assume 3.0mm hole diameter and you won’t be far wrong. Use cross-1 lacing and lace all the spokes on the outside of the flanges (heads in). If it’s like 99% of hub motors, its 36 hole.

Effective rim diameter and stagger are specific to the rim you are working with.

Balmorhea-
THANK YOU !

I was using 128 for Flange Diam.
"center-to-flange dimension" ? not asked
For the Flange spacing
diagram: shows 52 but
" between the left and right spoke flanges, as measured from center to center."
so I was using 46
yea, 36 3mm holes flared on outside
Rim Diam. 31
" the distance from the center of the rim to the left/right side spoke holes."
this one I don't get ?
Each hole is offset with the edge of the hole matching the center line

The tire I'd like to use "Kenda Kontact"
on it is this "TO FIT HB-422 RIM"
"20 X 1.95", "50-406"
It is on an alum. rim so I figure why not use it
unless a steel rim is better??

Thanks again
I need to get some spokes coming
Anybody know what the thread size is on 12G spokes? and 13G also ?

johnnyfoos said:
For the Flange spacing
diagram: shows 52 but
" between the left and right spoke flanges, as measured from center to center."
so I was using 46

That’s correct if you lace the spokes alternating inside and outside the flange. If you lace them all elbows out, as I suggest, then use the outside flange width.

Grin’s calculator is unique in demanding overall flange width and lateral offset, rather than center-to-flange right and left like other calculators. The other one I use most often is at https://leonard.io/edd .

If you are using a bicycle rim, don’t use thick spokes; they don't work correctly at tension levels bicycle rims can tolerate. For any given rim, a wheel is more durable and can carry.more weight reliably if the spokes are thinner. Thick spokes tend to loosen with use, and to crack rims, because they don’t distribute forces around the wheel as evenly as thin spokes. The wheel’s strength is in the rim! Spokes serve as support for the rim, and thinner ones do it better.

I usually use 14-15ga butted spokes when I can get them in appropriate lengths, and place stainless steel washers under the heads if the hub holes are too big for them. I also use 13-14ga single butted spokes because they can be cut to whatever odd length, and they fill oversized hub holes better than straight 14ga.

I think you should use a proven and commonly available double walled rim, like Sun Rhyno Lite or Weinmann DM30, so that if you need to replace it at some point, it will be easy to find and you can use the same spokes. Weinmann DM30 has the same dimensions as Alex DM24, which has preset values in the Grin calculator.

As far as I know, all the spoke gauges I have used are 56 tpi. Their thread diameter is a function of the wire diameter, a little larger than the wire diameter because the threads are rolled. 14ga spokes are very close to, but a little bit thinner than, #2-56 screws.

well-

Balmorhea,
I have used your advice
I now have a new
Weinmann DM30
And have sent an E-mail to grin
"sales@ebikes.ca"
as their site told me to do to contact them

So I hope to have some spokes soon

Thanks all

I hear no one is reusing spokes and I can’t take my already built new wheel and cut the spokes to add a hub motor. Right?
Seems a shame. I see the tool out there but bike store tells me no one cuts used spokes.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
I hear no one is reusing spokes and I can’t take my already built new wheel and cut the spokes to add a hub motor. Right?
Seems a shame. I see the tool out there but bike store tells me no one cuts used spokes.

Are the spokes any good? If they're generic OEM stuff, them getting them recut likely will cost more than getting new (maybe better) ones in the correct length.

At my shop, straight gauge silver DT Swiss spokes cost $0.80. if someone wants me to cut them to a custom length, $3 each. I might charge less per spoke for a bunch of them, but more likely I'd refer the customer to the local shop that has a spoke cutting machine.

Balmorhea » Sep 10 2020 11:46pm

Hummina Shadeeba wrote: ↑Sep 10 2020 6:29pm
Are the spokes any good? If they're generic OEM stuff, them getting them recut likely will cost more than getting new (maybe better) ones in the correct length.

At my shop, straight gauge silver DT Swiss spokes cost $0.80. if someone wants me to cut them to a custom length, $3 each. I might charge less per spoke for a bunch of them, but more likely I'd refer the customer to the local shop that has a spoke cutting machine.
You have a shop in Austin, Great.

Back