No Job No Money build, tilting trike

This build will hopefully be completed within one year or less. the trike will have full suspension as well as leaning, The power will come through a car alternator as i have found 2. I will also make a body . No nothing like a velamobile. It will just be pictures as i go along. There are too many people view this wonderful forum and think it is an impossible thing to do without a lot of money to build something from scratch, so i have set myself challenge NO MONEY BUILD or very little.

I have built bikes many with hub motors as well as motors they all sufferd abuse hitting trees doing jumps great fun now something new to abuse yes officer it only 15 mph :D

The hub motor i have left is going to be a vawt wind turbine as it is low rpm thats another project

Paul

A picture of my bike this was going to be a project, but likes to be peddled into trees :D

S4200272.JPG

A little update found some steel tubing it should be enough to get started. see pics.

S4200310.JPG

The motor and controller in the pics are what i was going to use. It is a brushed motor and controller but, i am sticking with a car alternator as i have them. So the curtis controller will have to go, to swap for a brushless controller as the alternator will have hall sensors.

Paul

not to bash what you are doing but all those things cost a little money. Right? I mean they were bought at one point in time. Do you think you could build an operable electric bike or trike from using parts from the junkyard? That might be an interesting experiment.

Hi morph

Yes it is a challenge to build it from scratch to start with. near enough every thing in the build will have been salvaged the steel tubing was free as well as the motor. Will it be safe will it do 30 mph the answer is yes . This challenge is to show you dont need oodles of money to build from salvage,if it gets people to build what they thought was out of reach i will be Happy, The only problem at the minute is getting a brushless controller as the alternator will be run with halls.

What is out of my reach is the drives matt makes first class. When i get financially better off, i may go with 2 rc motor drives but this build is to show it can be done without money or very little. As i dont have a job and even when i get a job i will still continue the build the same way .This may seem an impossible build but anything is dooable, Tomorrows quest is to find the wheel 20/24 for the back and two 16/20 for the front beggers cant be choosers, i will well document the build with photos beginning to end.The rear will be built first for motor testing, then the headache is the front tilting and suspension, then the body canopy

Paul

hi
i keep trying to post pictures not having much success well here goes again. HOW DO YOU GET TO DISLAY THE PICTURES ON THE PAGE ?????

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/paul.dawson4/Desktop#5376558154932483538

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/paul.dawson4/Desktop#5376558175761023234

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/paul.dawson4/Desktop#5376558193104193554

This Alternator with a aluminum rotor and neo magnets would make a cheap to abuse motor it would not be to heavy.

I am just powering the rota for ajustable torque wih a speed controller

Paul

morph999 said:
not to bash what you are doing but all those things cost a little money. Right? I mean they were bought at one point in time. Do you think you could build an operable electric bike or trike from using parts from the junkyard? That might be an interesting experiment.
I don't know about his stuff, but on my CrazyBike2, everything currently in it and on it (except some of the LEDs in the lighting, and the welding wire used to weld parts together, some Gorilla Glue used to secure a few things, and some of the zip ties, and a bit of the DayGlo paint I tried to use on it) were free junk donated to me, found on Freecycle, or even pulled from the trash in some cases. That includes the motor and batteries, and even all the parts in the motor controller. Even most of my test equipment came from others either as junk or as stuff they didn't want anymore, or from when CompUSA closed and was going to throw stuff away, which I kept instead.

So it's certainly possible to build a safe and operable EV totally from junk. I'm sure mine could even be made to look snazzier, but it's appearance deters thieves. ;) At some point soonish I hope to start a simple fairing for it built from tent poles, ski poles, crutches, and soda bottle plastic stapled together in sheets.

Paul.............D said:
HOW DO YOU GET TO DISLAY THE PICTURES ON THE PAGE ?????
Since you're using Picasa:
--Open your posting window here at ES
--Open a new window (or tab) and go to your actual Picasaweb page showing just the picture you want (not the thumbnails page).
--Right click on the picture
--choose "copy image link" or "copy image URL", or "copy image location" whatever shows there in your browser's context menu for "image".
--switch to your posting window here
--click "Img" in the buttons above the posting text window
--click right between the {img}{/img} tag brackets
--paste the link (it should then look like {img}http://picasaweb.google.com/imagelinkblahblah219087298753987945whatever.jpg{/img} )

Repeat for every image you want to post.

It helps a lot to make sure the images are smaller than 640x480.

Thank you amberwolf, seems this forum does not like new projects or new people. Hello Paul welcome to the forum. Hows the build going to be ??????? oh dear.
If you dont want to read it put in your foes, their is people that want to read it we are living in hard times we are not fortunate to have the money to spend as some do. But at least i am trying .I forgot god hates a tryer. Now my bleating is over THE BUILD WILL CONTINUE :evil:

Paul

Hi Paul. As amberworf stated, post code looks like this
Code:
[img]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Y1eB2v7Gj7I/Sp1fJ9r69dI/AAAAAAAAAB8/tN5udno7E7c/s720/S4200314.JPG[/img]
Result:
S4200314.JPG

If you upload directly (preferred), the image will display if 800px wide (or less).
S4200313.jpg

Looking forward to the build.

Cheers Tyler i can only do it through the properties on the photos i dont know if it has anything to do with Vista 64 bit but at least it works thank you for the help. :D

Finished the alternator today, hall sensors need fitting when i get some, no hurry as i have no controller.

I have found some parts to make a brushed controller for the field current. Only wish brushless was as easy :D

S4200318.JPG

S4200317.JPG

I will start to build the frame and double wishbone suspension in the next few days.

Paul

Hi,

I decided to start the swinging arm, i got side tracked fixed a XBox 360 ring of death. Then i got the welder out, started weldinng the steel i had cut then no wire speed so it was a bad day, fixed the welder the 555 timer had gone so replace that and off we go again. Then again i have had this welder 22 year

S4200325.JPG

This is as far as i got i will hopefully get time on wednesday and get it finished need some plate i will see if i can find some on my travels

S4200323.JPG

Paul

Subscribed!.. Have you got any designs drawn out for the tilting setup? i couldnt get my head around it, i have a heap of designs from the net (pictures) but i really need to see ithem "ifirst hand" to suss out how the bloody things work hahaaa...

LiL tip im sure your aware of, i notice you have galvanised tubing there, i think i can see you have already removed the galv on the areas to be welded? for those not aware, galv when welded produces toxic harmful fumes it is also shit to weld spits and spatter from asshole to breakfast, simply grinding the area rectifies this...look forward to the next instalment mate...best of luck

KiM

If I understand correctly all Paul will have to do is shift weight over to one side (or grab and pull tilting poles that pull the center frame to an angle on it's roll axis), which will make the wishbones pull the wheels at angles along *their* roll axis parallel to the frame, which will steer it. The third wheel (front or rear) will, if not on a separate part of the frame with a roll-axis bearing joining it to the main frame (like the flevo), tilt with the main frame.

Depending on caster/camber and other angles of the suspension, tilting the wheels will also rotate them a bit about their yaw axis, actually pointing them in the direction of the turn (in the case of a tadpole design) or away from the direction of the turn (in the case of a delta design).

Paul.............D said:
Hi Kim

It is a so simple design, people will kick their self when they see it, there are no extra linkages just double wishbone suspension and two shocks i never draw anything because i am crap at it. But i will try and sketch it for you tonight. I have a habit of building out of my head.
:D

Paul

...I know what ya mean by sketching things out i often have the design in my head and go with it, i should draw everything out its not as though i can't draw better than a chook scratching , i have done a commercial art course and have the ability to draw very well, guess its me just keeping things a lil mysterious at times hahahaa...that said though... sketches of my first trike ended up nothing like the finished job so maybe its better i dont draw things anywayz hahahaa

Be keen to see your idea for the tilting design though bud, if you don't want to post it in thread PM me the design or email aussiejester@iinet.net.au

KiM

Hey Marvin...cheers for the support mate...Your name looks familiar you're Moterdbike member too aren't you? I would very much like to see your design if your not planing on copyrighting it etc?

Straight out of High School i went to technical college studying Architectural Drafting myself, after 6 months though i figured out it wasn't what i wanted to do, i should of signed up for Graphic Design. Many years later i did a part-time Commercial Art course which i LOVED, so it is rather surprising i guess i don't draw out more detailed plans before the builds...

My Unlce moved to Tassie has been there about 12 years now he loves it as he hates the heat, WA would be the hottest state by far so makes sense he moved off to the land of the two headed people hehehe....Where in Perth were you living mate? (suburb) I'm up in"hillsville" ie. Lesmurdie myself ... (Shire of Kalamunda)

Another trike will be in the works for me down the track and it will definitely have independent rear suspension if i could have it tilting also that would be superb! If your willing you could email the sketches to the above email addy.... :)

Paul.............D i got your email the other day buddy cheers for that, how are the plans coming along anyt progress?

We needs progress progress progress Paul LoL ...says i who haven't done a thing in two days to my project :: cowers ::

KiM

Hi
i have not done much as we have family over at the weekend,so i have been finishing the conservatory off building ornate pillows, things you do to keep the wife happy. Yes dearest darling wife i have run out of gas :D :D :D Well after all she brings the money in at least one of us is working.

Any ideas peddles in front of suspension or behind/longer wheel base/steering middle or steering bars. i have it planned in my head but i would value other opinions

Paul

Back