Pedelec Options for Q100

majornelson

100 W
I am trying to install a some type of pedelec sensor as part of my Q100 build. I ordered the kit from GreenBikeKit.com and included the pedelec sensor and control panel for the handlebar.

The sensor is on a brass ring and includes a 5 pole magnet rotor. The sensor is pre-wired to the CON62 controller. It looks like the brass ring is held in place by a shaft nut but my bike does not have one (my mountain bike looks like it would accommodate the sensor). My bike has a crank that is threaded into the inside of the bottom bracket. It is a Brooklyn Cruiser bike.

I also have an 12 pole magnet rotor and sensor from ebikes.ca. I'm assuming the CON62 won't work properly with a 12 pole sensor...

Has anyone dealt with this issue successfully? Any alternatives? I have a CA v3 (throttle only) on my main bike. Does it make sense to upgrade to a CA v3 to use the new pedelec function of it? (Although I'm trying to minimize the amount of re-wiring and soldering - I suck - that I do!)

I'd appreciate any advice here.

It doesn't matter how you do it: As long as you can get the magnet ring on the crank spindle, or glued to the back of the chainring, and you fix the sensor on any bracket so that it faces the magnet ring with a 1mm gap, it'll work. Be mindful that it only works in one direction. You can mount it on the non-chainring side, but you need to flip the magnet disk otherwise it'll work backwards.

Posts #5 and#15 here might give you some ideas:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/12481-rocky-mountain-element-conversion.html

D8veh-

Thanks for the tips both here and the other posts. Never certain if it is better to keep each post specific or run through a bunch of questions in one...

I really like your build that you referenced. How do you like the PAS function. Is it worth it?

My other option is to purchase a CA v3 unit and use it. But I've been trying to kep these build both basic and clean on the bars.

Also, do you think the con62 controller would work with Justin's 12 pole sensor?

Thanks again.

The Con62 controller works perfectly with the normal PAS sensors that GBK or BMSB sell. When you use PAS power, you need a way of cutting down the power. The LED displays have three levels and the LCD ones have five or more. Without thos displays, you just get full power when you pedal, which is not what you always want.

Thanks. I have the LED control.

I was able to mount the PAS sensor by disassembling the bottom bracket after looking at your build photos on the UK site. My confusion was that I thought it went on the non-drive side. Once I saw your mount the light bulb went off...

Tomorrow morning I plug everything in. Hopefully everything will light up and it will go... still deciding the best way to hide the batteries and controller.

Finished the complete build today. For this bike (and its purpose of being an around town bike and light commuter), the PAS function is perfect. Found out the LED actually has 5 settings (if you include off). So it's Off, Low, Medium, High and (pressing the + button once more) Super High.

Thanks!

Back